• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sidearm Carry Off Duty

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So, in the spirit of this thread, are there any states that allow military the right to carry without a ccw, etc? My assumption is no.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
So, in the spirit of this thread, are there any states that allow military the right to carry without a ccw, etc? My assumption is no.

There are many states that allow you to carry if you can show proof of being through basic training/OCS. The catch is, you still have to apply for the CCW, you just don't have to attend the CCW classes.

bbf7b2

pilot
Technically in Georgia active duty military are exempt from the laws prohibiting concealed carry without a permit. As such a military ID is supposed to function as a CCW the only problem is that not all LEOs in the state are fully aware of that legal provision, so the local wisdom is you can carry on just a military ID but be prepared to spend an afternoon in jail while they figure out that you're actually legal.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Da' Territory of Hawai'i:

CCW -- MAY issue ... and good luck gettin' one, Bruddah !! You need to be 'wealthy', 'connected', or 'related' ...

When I went to register my guns at HPD headquarters after moving here, I inquired about obtaining an application packet for a CCW. They looked at me like I was on crack. After a brief discussion, the truth of the matter came out: they didn't even have a single application there at the Weapon Licensing and Permit Office.

Mahalo for your kokua, indeed.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
There are many states that allow you to carry if you can show proof of being through basic training/OCS. The catch is, you still have to apply for the CCW, you just don't have to attend the CCW classes.

Not this...

Technically in Georgia active duty military are exempt from the laws prohibiting concealed carry without a permit. As such a military ID is supposed to function as a CCW the only problem is that not all LEOs in the state are fully aware of that legal provision, so the local wisdom is you can carry on just a military ID but be prepared to spend an afternoon in jail while they figure out that you're actually legal.

But this was what I was asking. That's interesting, I can't say I'd enjoy hanging out in a holding cell next to some random drunk while they sorted it out.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Not this...

But this was what I was asking. That's interesting, I can't say I'd enjoy hanging out in a holding cell next to some random drunk while they sorted it out.

I fully understood what you were asking. I was just giving you the information I had. The information about Georgia is quite interesting. I've dealt with the police before while doing open carry. You'd be surprised the looks that you get when you put a pistol on your hip. People think your crazy. It seems to surprise people that it's completely legal to do (in the state of KS).

Bevo16

pilot
I have an HM1 that works for me who swears that all Florida requires to issue a CCW to Active Duty is proof that you have qualified expert with the m-9.

I am also on record as "believing that shit when he shows me his new CCW". I'll probably have to deny all of his leave chits from now on to ensure he doesn't go to Florida to cheat and take the class.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I have an HM1 that works for me who swears that all Florida requires to issue a CCW to Active Duty is proof that you have qualified expert with the m-9.

I am also on record as "believing that shit when he shows me his new CCW". I'll probably have to deny all of his leave chits from now on to ensure he doesn't go to Florida to cheat and take the class.

As A4s says, "Believe it."

Well, okay HM1 was exaggerating a bit. You are exempt from the class if you can bring in proof of military weapons training. Expert not required; my pistol Sharpshooter form was sufficient (I hadn't gotten my E yet). You still have to pay all the the fees and get fingerprints and pictures done, though. All told, it took about a month for me to go from requesting the forms to having my laminated FL CCW.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Florida accepts military ID as proof of "acceptable training", though technically, what is required is "evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm". I've seen folks that couldn't hit paper at 3 yards (granted, with a snubbie they just bought) get signed off for the CCW class, so I don't think they're really asking for expert equivalence.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FORMS/FormsRequest790.html

Edit: Beat by Propaddict.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None

When did that start? When I was stationed in GA (03-06), that was not the law. I had to go through the process just like anyone else.

When I presented my mil ID at the courthouse, I avoided having to pay the fee for the license, but I still had to go through the application process, pay for the GA Bureau of Inv background check, fingerprints, etc.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Georgia Right-To-Carry Law Type: Shall Issue.

Through an unofficial opinion of the Georgia Attorney General it states: "Under Georgia law, active duty military personnel are exempted from the requirement of a firearms permit. The exemption is not limited to the performance of military duty. These personnel may, upon request, obtain a firearms permit if otherwise qualified. Their dependents may be issued a permit if otherwise qualified only upon establishing residency in this state. Law enforcement officers are also exempt from the requirement to obtain a permit. *

*Office of the Attorney General of Georgia.

DISCLAIMER: as always, you should still check w/ local officials and/or the local NRA reps or State Rifle/Pistol Assn. for the latest, greatest CCW rules for your jurisdiction.

CONCEALED CARRY LAWS BY STATE ... CONCEALED CARRY.net

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Not active duty but I have a CCW for Texas and Iowa as I have property in both places. I also took CCW courses in both states.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I haven't really investigated it to the 'nth' degree, but if you're only gonna' have ONE CCW ... it seems that UTAH might be the one to get for max. reciprocity.

And you can acquire it 'out of state', as I unnerstan' it.