• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sidearm Carry Off Duty

bpr2006

Just got professionally recommended as a naval aviator. I own a sidearm and hold a valid CCW. My folks live in a state that won't honor my CCW. I've seen conflicting advice on the internet re whether or not off-duty military officers are allowed to carry w/o a permit. Can off-duty officers carry whenever and wherever? Gun laws are usually a state-by-state item, so if such a right exists, I assume it's a federal law that pre-empts any local restrictions. Any advice? A statute would be great.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We're not cops. Military officers are no different than John Q. Public WRT CCW laws.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Well, there is the second amendment to the Constitution, however that seems to be very narrow in scope these days. When it comes down to it, as nittany mentioned, officer commissioned in the military are not police officers, in fact far from it.

Posse Comitatus

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... Can off-duty officers carry whenever and wherever?...
'ON-duty' military officers can't carry 'whenever and wherever' ... so what would lead you to suspect that being in an off-duty status might change that ... ???

Inside the wire -- you're obligated to adhere to federal laws and regulations.

Outside the wire -- you're obligated to adhere to state/local laws and regulations.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
HR218 does not apply to military personnel, even military police. NCIS, etc. is a different story. Next!

exo

you've obviously never been to vermont then. its very easy to believe that all 235 residents agreed to easy gun laws.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Washington state:

CCW -- SHALL issue ... in spite of the annual efforts of the Libs/Progressives that inhabit the western part of the state to eliminate the state pre-emption law ...
OPEN CARRY -- completely legal. Stand by for 'problems' if you test your legal rights in Latte-Burbia

Da' Territory of Hawai'i:

CCW -- MAY issue ... and good luck gettin' one, Bruddah !! You need to be 'wealthy', 'connected', or 'related' ...
OPEN CARRY -- you must be kidding ...
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

... But not to worry ... as all the drug dealers, pimps, gang-bangers, crack-heads, and most of da' Bruddahs carry -- 'cause they just want to -- so mebbe they'll 'help you out' if needed ...

3mokes.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Da' Territory of Hawai'i:

CCW -- MAY issue ... and good luck gettin' one, Bruddah !! You need to be 'wealthy', 'connected', or 'related' ...
OPEN CARRY -- you must be kidding ...
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:]

Maryland "the free state" will be more than happy to issue you a CCW after you've been killed by a punk.

I swear, every day here sucks more of my will to live.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The fact that you're required to obey the laws of the state that you are in is disturbing?

Bevo16

pilot
The fact that you're required to obey the laws of the state that you are in is disturbing?

I think that the realization that what he thought the 2nd amendment meant is not in fact true is what has the young lad disturbed.

I may have used us my conjunction quota for the month the ^^^^this sentence.