• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I stay or should I go? Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love HSC.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Anyone attend the JO symposium? I’m curious to see if anything worthwhile came from it.
We had a JO go from my squadron. Talked with said JO today and am awaiting a full rundown, but the long and short of it was "yes, I am jazzed about the future of Naval Aviation, yes, they really listened and seemed to care what we had to say, the big push will be more options for in residence graduate school, the big care is VFA, the future of HSC isn't bright, Helo and P-3 bubbas have to suck it up and take the disassociated second sea tour jobs, no mention on re-ordering the tours from back to back sea to finish up on a flying shore tour, and no, things aren't looking up for life as a JO in the near team future, but today's JO's will have more opportunities for in residence school."

Meyerkord

pilot
Did anyone else notice they revealed the answer to the age old question, "What % get jets?"!!!

"Specifically, within the Navy, the influx of airline hiring is exacerbating a staffing shortage within its fighter pilot community, which makes up about 33 percent of its pilot force."
Well, that's all folks. Shut this website down. We got what we need. ?

We had a JO go from my squadron. Talked with said JO today and am awaiting a full rundown, but the long and short of it was "yes, I am jazzed about the future of Naval Aviation, yes, they really listened and seemed to care what we had to say, the big push will be more options for in residence graduate school, the big care is VFA, the future of HSC isn't bright, Helo and P-3 bubbas have to suck it up and take the disassociated second sea tour jobs, no mention on re-ordering the tours from back to back sea to finish up on a flying shore tour, and no, things aren't looking up for life as a JO in the near team future, but today's JO's will have more opportunities for in residence school."

This is super interesting. Changes I didn't even know were coming down the pipe. Is the future of HSC not bright because of the identity crisis that's talked about around here? A lack of concrete mission? Would also like to hear more about helos doing a second sea vs dissociated and the tour reorder. Let us know if the full rundown brings any more details.

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
Well, that's all folks. Shut this website down. We got what we need. ?

This is super interesting. Changes I didn't even know were coming down the pipe. Is the future of HSC not bright because of the identity crisis that's talked about around here? A lack of concrete mission? Would also like to hear more about helos doing a second sea vs dissociated and the tour reorder. Let us know if the full rundown brings any more details.
Don't misread "second sea tour" as "not a boat tour." Unless there's been sweeping changes then SST=disassociated tour=boat....a rose by any other name...

Meyerkord

pilot
Don't misread "second sea tour" as "not a boat tour." Unless there's been sweeping changes then SST=disassociated tour=boat....a rose by any other name...
I figured it would be a boat tour for sure, just wasn't sure if it was ship's company or a flying billet.

Says who? Plane Guard and VERTREP. That seems pretty concrete to me.
I was mostly referring to the Romeo vs. Sierra thread from 2015 in which HSC was catching a lot of heat for not being as well-defined as HSM.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
@Meyerkord and @Brett327 - wasn't there, but said JO (and HSC pilot) claims one of the O-6s said that HSC won't improve until it stops adding missions and requirements. Until then, it will continue to fall behind the rest of Naval Aviation until it has a more focused set of missions. I'll add more when I hear more.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Part of the problem is that neither of the HSC commodores list those as missions, sir. ("Any helicopter can do those, here's what makes us warriors in the fight...")

De Facto, vertrep and plane guard is what HSC does...so since everybody knows that, why is there an identity crisis (despite what the commodore says)? Serious question.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Honest question here -

Says who? Plane Guard and VERTREP. That seems pretty concrete to me.
Well says whomever is ordering all the Block III MH-60S' - my question to any Flag would be" If PG and VERTREP are the 80% core mission, why not just have a bunch of BLOCK I's..."

MGoBrew11

pilot
De Facto, vertrep and plane guard is what HSC does...so since everybody knows that, why is there an identity crisis (despite what the commodore says)? Serious question.

Because ENSs and LTJGs getting their wings in the HTs are being told they are going to be inserting SEALs in Syria and are disappointed when they learn this isn't the case. They are also constantly training for stuff that they will never do to appease the bosses who want to be ready for a call that never comes. Leads to bitterness/resentment within the community and then people get out.

At least that's how I see it from the other helo community. My roommates were both HSC guys and hated it because of what the leaders wanted for the community like DanMa is saying and what they actually did.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Because ENSs and LTJGs getting their wings in the HTs are being told they are going to be inserting SEALs in Syria and are disappointed when they learn this isn't the case. They are also constantly training for stuff that they will never do to appease the bosses who want to be ready for a call that never comes. Leads to bitterness/resentment within the community and then people get out.

At least that's how I see it from the other helo community. My roommates were both HSC guys and hated it because of what the leaders wanted for the community like DanMa is saying and what they actually did.

I get what you’re saying. However, based on your answer becomes if vertrep/PG are the de facto missions and everyone knows it, why are the IPs in Whiting telling the studs information to the contrary? After all, the de facto missions are common knowledge.