• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I even bother to apply? (ANG pilot slot)

LearJet145

Hi, and greetings to all. Before I'm cut down for starting this topic, let me just say that it's not your typical "how can I get a ANG pilot slot" thread.

What I'm looking for is an opinion about my college record, and how it will affect me as I begin to apply to ANG units. I have a bachelor's degree and a 3.3 GPA, but my grades in some of my classes were utterly dreadful for my first year of college. Second, and most wearisome for me--is that I was suspended for a year because a group of people and I "harassed" a student. I'm not proud at all of this. It bears its ugly head every so often in my consciousness...but all that I can say is that I picked myself up from these experiences, graduated with much better grades and I've done a CRAPLOAD of volunteer service to show for it that I've learned something along the way and can be a good person.

Problem is, I don't know whether it will be enough to save me now that I want to fly in the military. All that I'm asking for is a candid opinion. I realize that my chances are likely slim because of my college transgressions, but I won't give up just yet. Thank you for all your input.

RiseR 25

You've shown improvement based on your GPA. Unless you have had trouble with law enforcement in the past I wouldn't see why a suspension from school would hurt your chances. If you don't mind me asking why Guard over Active Duty? Take some aptitude tests to see if you can make the grade: ASTB, AFOQT.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't lose anything by applying. Put in the application and make the ANG/AF say no.

LearJet145

You've shown improvement based on your GPA. Unless you have had trouble with law enforcement in the past I wouldn't see why a suspension from school would hurt your chances. If you don't mind me asking why Guard over Active Duty? Take some aptitude tests to see if you can make the grade: ASTB, AFOQT.

I'm a few months away from turning 27; currently undergoing training to become a Certified Flight Instructor. Will I have time to take the AFOQT, TBAS and still apply?

RiseR 25

I'm a few months away from turning 27; currently undergoing training to become a Certified Flight Instructor. Will I have time to take the AFOQT, TBAS and still apply?

I would imagine if you're on the road to CFI the test wouldn't be that bad. I used Barron's test prep for the ASTB (Navy), but it has great AFOQT practice tests as well. 30 minutes study time a day for 2 weeks is usually enough.

27 is age cutoff for Navy, 30 is cutoff for Air Force (Waivers are possible, depends on circumstances). Air Guard uses Air Force requirement standards To my knowledge you can't take the TBAS unless you're commissioned; don't quote me on it, but the AFOQT is usually the make or break for determining aptitude. Flying experience is always good.

flyhigher1987

So I am currently 25 and I did some pretty stupid shit when I was 18. I am not going to say what in case somehow some way someone on here knows me. I can tell you it was much much worse than harassing. I am applying to the Navy and told them my complete past. I have gotten my chemical engineering degree, a private pilots license, amazing recommendations and almost perfect ASTB scores, since. I clearly turned my life around and they can see that. I was granted a waiver for my past actions.

Long story short do not even bother asking whether you should try or not, just try. If you are a strong candidate who clearly is now more responsible they will see it and you will do great.

VTFlyer

So I am currently 25 and I did some pretty stupid shit when I was 18. I am not going to say what in case somehow some way someone on here knows me. I can tell you it was much much worse than harassing. I am applying to the Navy and told them my complete past. I have gotten my chemical engineering degree, a private pilots license, amazing recommendations and almost perfect ASTB scores, since. I clearly turned my life around and they can see that. I was granted a waiver for my past actions.

Long story short do not even bother asking whether you should try or not, just try. If you are a strong candidate who clearly is now more responsible they will see it and you will do great.

Absolutely 10000000% agree. Don't give up, move past your mistakes and show you have learned from them.