• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shore tour options, Masters degrees, and their effects on careers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolja

Git-r-done
Steve Wilkins said:
if we commit to the navy, the navy will commit to us. This is not an exageration.

I've heard that as well - however it's not nearly as reassuring as the Bureau probably intends it to be!

FWIW, I am actually doing JPME I now on shore duty. Not because I think it will help me have command, but to get it out of the way so the detailer will have one less argument to use against me when I want to go be a squadron training officer (former super JO) or CVW staff instead of war college or something like that ;)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kolja said:
I've heard that as well - however it's not nearly as reassuring as the Bureau probably intends it to be!
It's to be taken in the context of getting your masters, nothing else.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Okay, I'm shooting down your threadjack, and reining this one back in.
Along the lines of what Steve alluded to, it seems odd to me that any Naval officer community would almost discourage getting one's graduate degree. And while this may not be the reality in the Aviation community, this is the impression I'm getting from many of the comments made here by some of the more "experienced" members. No matter, though. Based on my own experience (and the confirming comments made by skidkid), I am smart enough to realize that the ultimate success of achieving both my educational and professional goals in my military career will be determined not by conventional wisdom or predetermined paths, but by the effort and level of dedication that I put into it. I will blaze my own path. I will, somehow, obtain a MS degree in some engineering discipline, and I will, God willing, have my own command one day. And when that day comes, when we're all browsing the AirWarriors forums on our holographic 3-D handheld supercomputers while riding in our autopiloted hovercars, I will only say...
"See...I told you so!" ;)

Kolja

Git-r-done
nfo2b said:
and I will, God willing, have my own command one day.

(in exasperation to a Navy that doesn't listen to me on this score): See, here's a fellow who's not even winged yet and wants command. If I give him whatever "good boy" points I've acquired over the last 7 years to help him out, can I PLEEEEEAASE have a "professional aviator" path like the RAF has???

Fred

If you go the command route you can go on to RAG CO, Blue Angel CO, VX 9 XO or CO, CAG...... You could manage to be in a flying billet for 22+ of a 25yr career. :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fred said:
If you go the command route you can go on to RAG CO, Blue Angel CO, VX 9 XO or CO, CAG...... You could manage to be in a flying billet for 22+ of a 25yr career. :)
You might want to check your math on that one.

Brett

Fred

I know several people who have managed to fly for 22 years of a 25 year career. Leaving the cockpit only for a year of war college and a 22mo joint tour. (they started flight school right after commissioning)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fred said:
I know several people who have managed to fly for 22 years of a 25 year career. Leaving the cockpit only for a year of war college and a 22mo joint tour. (they started flight school right after commissioning)
That may be, but those are typically not the types who go on to become RAG COs and CAGs. You gotta pay your dues.

Brett

Kolja

Git-r-done
Fred said:

Unfortunately, I think those days are either gone or quickly coming to an end. In it's single minded pursuit to make "well rounded officers" it will be well nigh impossible to get that far without several tours in places I don't want to be.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Kolja said:
(in exasperation to a Navy that doesn't listen to me on this score): See, here's a fellow who's not even winged yet and wants command. If I give him whatever "good boy" points I've acquired over the last 7 years to help him out, can I PLEEEEEAASE have a "professional aviator" path like the RAF has???

Bring back the flying LDO, aka "Bug" Roach program.

Speaking of "Bug", who is heading for Hook '05?

Fred

Brett327 said:
That may be, but those are typically not the types who go on to become RAG COs and CAGs. You gotta pay your dues.

Brett

Used to be....maybe not in the near future. I know there are at least 2 current CAG's who have flown all but maybe two tours. (including a year at War College)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fred said:
You should check out CAG-5's DCAG's bio. :icon_smil
I say again - those are typically not the types who go on to become RAG COs and CAGs. Your exception does not disprove the general rule. If you jumped off a 100 ft bridge and lived, would it mean that it was a good idea which others should follow?

Just checking, :D

Brett

Fred

Brett327 said:
I say again - those are typically not the types who go on to become RAG COs and CAGs. Your exception does not disprove the general rule. If you jumped off a 100 ft bridge and lived, would it mean that it was a good idea which others should follow?

Just checking, :D

Brett

Would depend if I had a bungee cord. ;)

Kolja

Git-r-done
Fred said:
Used to be....maybe not in the near future. I know there are at least 2 current CAG's who have flown all but maybe two tours. (including a year at War College)

One of my mentors now in his XO tour hasn't been out of the cockpit his entire time (though one could make the case he probably wasn't there often as CVW staff and later type-wing staff) - but even he says those days were gone. He was in fact the guy that suggested I get an early masters, which promted my reply that if, after the navy I wound up in a job where I needed to have a masters, I'd kick my own ass.

As far as Bug Roach-
A) concur, bring back flying LDO.
B) As I'm pretty sure I can spare the 55 minute drive to the Nugget, I suspect I will be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.