• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shoemaker Scholarship to get masters at NPS prior to Pensacola?

pedrofuego

I got selected for SNFO, graduating '24, and my CO forwarded me an email where they are letting 23 NROTC aviation graduates go to NPS in Monterey CA to get a masters prior to going to Pensacola. All of the programs seem to be about 18-24 months long. My CO mentioned that if I decide to go this route, it would essentially cut down my first shore tour down by the length of the program, which could be good or bad, depending on how I look at it. I have not been able to find next to any information about any of this online, and figured here would be a decent place to ask.

I'm trying to keep all of my options open, such as TPS and TOPGUN depending on whatever platform I get selected for, and I know that both of those take place during first shore tour.

Does this seem like a good idea? Any further info on this?
Side question that may influence my decision: Any idea how long the wait in Pensacola for SNFO is? Cuz if its still super long (12+ months), might be worth getting a masters in the mean time.

For reference, I have a 3.5 GPA, and upon commissioning will have 2 degrees, a BS in Mechanical Engineering, and a BS in Manufacturing Engineering. So I think that an application for this would be reasonably competitive.

Forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, wasn't sure what category this would go in.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Side question that may influence my decision: Any idea how long the wait in Pensacola for SNFO is? Cuz if its still super long (12+ months), might be worth getting a masters in the mean time.

For reference, flight school wait times flux up and down and it could change as little a few months or as long as few years.

I think you need to research the NPS graduate program and see if it aligns with your short-term and long-term goals.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Consider your situation contrast with the screw job AF newly commissioned 2LTs get - dumped in the IRR until they class up for UPT/Initial CSO.

taxi1

pilot
If the time at NPS means when done you roll right into flight school, i.e, you don't enter into a long wait to start like you would if you went direct, then it seems like efficient use of time. I doubt extremely it'd block you from applying to TPS due to shore duty constraints. It would definitely make you more attractive.

Having the MS knowledge before flight school versus having it after...that's an interesting thing to ponder. If your MS was aero-related, or controls in general, it could be useful.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I got selected for SNFO, graduating '24, and my CO forwarded me an email where they are letting 23 NROTC aviation graduates go to NPS in Monterey CA to get a masters prior to going to Pensacola. All of the programs seem to be about 18-24 months long. My CO mentioned that if I decide to go this route, it would essentially cut down my first shore tour down by the length of the program, which could be good or bad, depending on how I look at it. I have not been able to find next to any information about any of this online, and figured here would be a decent place to ask.

I'm trying to keep all of my options open, such as TPS and TOPGUN depending on whatever platform I get selected for, and I know that both of those take place during first shore tour.

For reference, I have a 3.5 GPA, and upon commissioning will have 2 degrees, a BS in Mechanical Engineering, and a BS in Manufacturing Engineering. So I think that an application for this would be reasonably competitive.

Forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, wasn't sure what category this would go in.
If you are interested in life as an AEDO, EDO, Permanent Military Professor (PMP), or engineer in general, I would highly recommend getting your Masters. Monterey is a great time, that Shoemaker program is solid, NPS is a pump not a filter (i.e. they will make sure you get your degree as long as you do the work), and you will be able to network with other officers including those about to go to their Dept Head rides and maybe even about to go to be CO/XO fleet-ups. This is a $500k investment in your future potential from the Navy that will help set you up for success later in life and in your career.

If you have this opportunity, take it. Getting your Masters after flight school will require a LOT of extra work and the timing will likely never be great unless you take a non-flying or non-at-sea shore tour or whatever it's called in the Aviation community between your DIVO and DH tours. Best of luck and make sure you stop by Osteria Al Mare for the best Italian food this side of the Atlantic. If you have any questions about the curriculums, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Monterey's a great time, NPS is a great school, and being given free (paid!) graduate work while you're still used to the formal collegiate classroom environment is all to the good. Plus you'll get some time to interact with more experienced Fleet guys (and from other services/allies) in an informal classroom and social environment.

Unless there's some hidden gotcha, I'd look seriously at this if I were you.

pedrofuego

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Monterey's a great time, NPS is a great school, and being given free (paid!) graduate work while you're still used to the formal collegiate classroom environment is all to the good. Plus you'll get some time to interact with more experienced Fleet guys (and from other services/allies) in an informal classroom and social environment.

The only gotcha I can think of is that it would shorten my first shore tour by about 2 years (unless someone can confirm otherwise, i havent been able to find a concrete answer on this). which drastically shrinks my window to get into topgun or TPS. but at the same time, a masters could look sexy for a tps application.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only gotcha I can think of is that it would shorten my first shore tour by about 2 years (unless someone can confirm otherwise, i havent been able to find a concrete answer on this). which drastically shrinks my window to get into topgun or TPS. but at the same time, a masters could look sexy for a tps application.
You don’t go to TOPGUN on your shore tour, that’s during your first sea tour (if at all). And I somehow doubt a shortened first shore would be the case, since that would give you a six month shore tour. That's barely enough time to even get through the FITU and get an instructor qual. I can maybe imagining it taking the place of one of your shore tours down the line (when most dudes do postgrad education).

In any case, you'll get a lot more professional mileage out of an NPS degree, in the Navy or out, than going to TG. As a rule of thumb, never pass up good opportunities now in favor of what you might want to do later.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure how true that is; I'd confirm with your detailer - ask your CO to get his/her contact information. We had a few ENS's hang out at our squadron for nearly a year because of how bad the backlog was and I know some of them had been presented a similar opportunity like this without ever mentioning that shortening of the timeframe.

You may end up losing / getting it cut out anyway if flight school is that backed up.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
You don’t go to TOPGUN on your shore tour, that’s during your first sea tour (if at all). And I somehow doubt a shortened first shore would be the case, since that would give you a six month shore tour. That's barely enough time to even get through the FITU and get an instructor qual. I can maybe imagining it taking the place of one of your shore tours down the line (when most dudes do postgrad education).

In any case, you'll get a lot more professional mileage out of an NPS degree, in the Navy or out, than going to TG. As a rule of thumb, never pass up good opportunities now in favor of what you might want to do later.

Wait, what? NAWDC is a tour for 2nd tour JOs in VFA no? It definitely is in helo-land.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

I forgot to add that you can also knock out your JPME in person with a real live instructor instead of slogging through CBT hell.

You're putting the cart before the horse here. 1) You have no guarantee you'll get to go to TOPGUN or get jets, 2) you have no guarantee you won't get the NAMI Whammy at Pcola, 3) TPS and AEDOs have connections at NPS so if you want to do a tour with NAVAIR then NPS is your foot in the door [DM me about the Systems Engineering program if you're interested], and 4) your career timing could be affected by a million little things that are completely out of your control and flushing this opportunity down the drain for the figurative timeline that you've built in your head is silly.

pedrofuego

When it comes to the professional milage I'd get out of an NPS degree, does it matter what the degree is in? because they only gave me about 10 options, and 2-3 of them I'm not qualified for because my BS isnt Electrical or Computer engineering, and of the remaining 7-8, the only one that really seems of any interest to me is "360 Operations Analysis". Would it still be beneficial to do that as opposed to even more engineering? (I dont think I could bring myself to do 2 more years of imaginary physics and quantum crap before actually getting into a plane).

pedrofuego

I forgot to add that you can also knock out your JPME in person with a real live instructor instead of slogging through CBT hell.

You're putting the cart before the horse here. 1) You have no guarantee you'll get to go to TOPGUN or get jets, 2) you have no guarantee you won't get the NAMI Whammy at Pcola, 3) TPS and AEDOs have connections at NPS so if you want to do a tour with NAVAIR then NPS is your foot in the door [DM me about the Systems Engineering program if you're interested], and 4) your career timing could be affected by a million little things that are completely out of your control and flushing this opportunity down the drain for the figurative timeline that you've built in your head is silly.
Im gonna be honest, I have no idea what a JPME is, or CBT.