• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

shipping your car

speeddypat

None
Hey all,
so i got my report date which is 5 may, a little later then the other guys i was pro-rec'd with, but that's ok. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with shipping their car to p'cola. I'm in so cal and have been planning on driving but my friend mentioned this as an idea. Feel free to tell me it's a horrible idea and just to drive, but i thought i might give it a shot. thanx for the help, congrats to everyone who just got picked up, see you in May!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey all,
so i got my report date which is 5 may, a little later then the other guys i was pro-rec'd with, but that's ok. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with shipping their car to p'cola. I'm in so cal and have been planning on driving but my friend mentioned this as an idea. Feel free to tell me it's a horrible idea and just to drive, but i thought i might give it a shot. thanx for the help, congrats to everyone who just got picked up, see you in May!

Horrible idea - just drive and enjoy the view. ;)

As a wise Canadian once said, "The point of the journey... is not to arrive."

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If I were you, I'd drive. It's gonna cost about a grand (most likely more) to ship your car to P-Cola from the left, I mean west, coast. Get a buddy that wouldn't mind making the drive with you and do it... you're not gonna have many opportunities to drive cross country, so take it while its there.

The other thing you'll have to look at is when you'll be able to pick your car up in relation to your OCS date. If its before, no worries. If its after, I smell a lot of storage fees.

Life is a highway man... drive it.

Just a bit of Bubba $0.02.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Concur with above.

The Navy will give you travel days with per diem for those days based on your location. If I remember right, they give you something ridiculous like 6 days, when the drive is managable in 3 or 4 days (San Diego to P-cola).

If you ship your car and fly, you'll get a free plane ticket, zero travel days, and a bill for shipping your car.

speeddypat

None
haha fair enough... thanx for the advice guys, when i think about it, it really does make a lot more sense to drive.

snake020

Contributor
Unless going OCONUS, shipping car = bad idea. Out of pocket shipping expense + losing out on partial DITY $$$.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I may as well ask this Q here since the thread is already started...

I'll be moving to the left coast later this year... Lemoore or Whidbey (preferably Whidbey)... have two cars. The wife and I are debating if we should trade one in for a truck and tow the other out, drive one & ship one, or sell one and get another when we get out west. What say you?

Just so you know, we've got a '93 Accord and a '04 Altima.

Thanks,
Bubba

MasterBates

Since you are now a father, act like a real man and drive a truck :D

In all honesty, if you DITY move, you can tow 1 car with the Uhaul on a dolly, and have Mrs. Bubba drive in the other car.

Since I will assume you own the 93 Accord, drive it until it dies. I loved not having a car payment (do have one again now, though)

snizo

Supply Officer
Bubba - there is a post in required reading about how much $ you will get to drive one car or two. That might help you make a decision about how to get there (getting a truck - up to you). No personal experience with that, though.

The Navy will give you travel days with per diem for those days based on your location. If I remember right, they give you something ridiculous like 6 days, when the drive is managable in 3 or 4 days (San Diego to P-cola).

If you ship your car and fly, you'll get a free plane ticket, zero travel days, and a bill for shipping your car.

Flying is automatically one day of travel, you will still get a bill for shipping the car as Thisguy said. San Diego to Pensacola should get you 6 days of travel (you get 1 day per 350 miles). Take all 6 - there is a reason they give you that much time.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
This is a classic case of "Shoulda kept the Jeep..."

However, one transmission, two steering pumps and a coolant system later, I decided to get rid of it.

SQUIDutah

pilot
I am facing the same problem. I have a wife who will be in her third trimester and 2 vehicles when I head out to P'Cola. I also have the opportunity to take some house hunting leave. Should I drive one car down and leave it a a friends, then drive the other down when I PCS? I would rather fly my wife out there than ride for 4 days with her hyperactive bladder.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You definitely don't want to drive more than 40 minutes with a woman in her 3rd trimester... I say you've got a pretty good idea.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Since you are now a father, act like a real man and drive a truck :D

In all honesty, if you DITY move, you can tow 1 car with the Uhaul on a dolly, and have Mrs. Bubba drive in the other car.

Since I will assume you own the 93 Accord, drive it until it dies. I loved not having a car payment (do have one again now, though)

Question

How does one get reimbursed for towing a vehicle behind a rental truck? Is it by weight or is it another way?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Question

How does one get reimbursed for towing a vehicle behind a rental truck? Is it by weight or is it another way?

You don't.

Just for the weight of goods. Weigh truck, trailer and car empty. Fill truck and car. Weigh full. Get paid for difference.

Lawman

None
This is a classic case of "Shoulda kept the Jeep..."

However, one transmission, two steering pumps and a coolant system later, I decided to get rid of it.

You want to make a trip up to Ohio and Ill make it worth your while on a new one. ;)