• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Serious Question!!!

phantom1914

Is anyone familiar the repercussions that comes from an alcohol related incident. Im applying to STA 21 this year and I want to know how bad this can potentially hurt me. I was having a few drinks with my shop when I got an urgent call from family. I knew that I couldnt drive so I asked if anyone could take me to my destination. My supervisor says he's ok to drive so we head up to Maryland and eventually get pulled over for going 80 in 55. They give him all those tests... he passes until he has to blow into the breathlyzer and he fails. I wasnt able to drive because I told them I drank so they put me in the drunk tank until I blew all zeros. Its an ARI for me and I know thats bad. But how heavy will this punishment be for me. I have a stellar package that I started working on from last year but didnt finish. Im the #1 EP out of the rest of the E-4s in my command. Ive got the Quals, the community service, and command activities. I just want to know how much this will set me back seeing I wasnt punished by the police and it was truely an honest mistake as the passenger of a DUI.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Why did you allow the other guy to drive, and even so, why did you get in the car with him?

This will most likely set you back quite a bit. Maybe even kill your shot.

phantom1914

The person that took me came late I didnt even see him drink. Any person in a situation as dire as that would have looked at him and agreed that he was very capable of driving. Not looking one bit out of the ordinary. And I didnt drive because I dont get behind the wheel after having as much as i had. So again tell me where I went wrong as far as judgement. Yes in hindsight I would change things but at that moment I really believe anyone would have made a similar call not having any family or friends in the immediate area.

robav8r

None
Contributor
This seems to be more & more of a recurring theme/question on this board. Abuse of alcohol & use of illicit drugs will prevent you from joining the greatest organization on the planet - period. Full disclosure: when I joined the Navy in the early 80's, I knew folks who smoked pot while sitting in the door of a plane guard helo. My Senior Chief in my first helo squadron would send me to the 76'er club at North Island and reserve tables, order pitchers of beer, and wait for the aircrew shop to show up . . . FOR LUNCH !!! And I won't even get into the topless dancers !! Many times, we never made it back to work . . . and no one cared. Abuse of alcohol was the norm, almost revered. Read some history and pay attention to where we were, and where we are now.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Wait wait wait. Put you in the drunk tank until you blew zero? Why not let you call a cab? Were you underage at the time? Did you get NJP for this ARI?

exNavyOffRec

This seems to be more & more of a recurring theme/question on this board. Abuse of alcohol & use of illicit drugs will prevent you from joining the greatest organization on the planet - period. Full disclosure: when I joined the Navy in the early 80's, I knew folks who smoked pot while sitting in the door of a plane guard helo. My Senior Chief in my first helo squadron would send me to the 76'er club at North Island and reserve tables, order pitchers of beer, and wait for the aircrew shop to show up . . . FOR LUNCH !!! And I won't even get into the topless dancers !! Many times, we never made it back to work . . . and no one cared. Abuse of alcohol was the norm, almost revered. Read some history and pay attention to where we were, and where we are now.

Bringing back some memories.

My instructor in power school in the late 80's would tell stories of going to division parties and his divo would be taking bong hits with the guys. My first ship no one seemed to care if you were a bit intoxicated at work as long as you were at work, hell one time I was at work so "hung over" I had to "use the head" every 30 minutes, the only thing my Chief said to me was "looks like someone had a good time last night".

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Did you get NJP for this ARI?

An NJP is the only thing that will really hurt your selection process. You cannot apply if you have had an NJP in the past three years. Might be pretty tough getting another endorsement from your CO if you aren't selected this year.

Is anyone familiar the repercussions that comes from an alcohol related incident. Im applying to STA 21 this year and I want to know how bad this can potentially hurt me. I was having a few drinks with my shop when I got an urgent call from family. I knew that I couldnt drive so I asked if anyone could take me to my destination. My supervisor says he's ok to drive so we head up to Maryland and eventually get pulled over for going 80 in 55. They give him all those tests... he passes until he has to blow into the breathlyzer and he fails. I wasnt able to drive because I told them I drank so they put me in the drunk tank until I blew all zeros. Its an ARI for me and I know thats bad. But how heavy will this punishment be for me. I have a stellar package that I started working on from last year but didnt finish. Im the #1 EP out of the rest of the E-4s in my command. Ive got the Quals, the community service, and command activities. I just want to know how much this will set me back seeing I wasnt punished by the police and it was truely an honest mistake as the passenger of a DUI.
Sounds like you got a bad shake. The extent of the damage depends on if you got NJP or not. Saying that you got an "ARI" is really vague.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Agree with most above. What is in your record? A Page 13?

I was in the car with a shipmate (yes, I said it), who got a DUI pulling into 32nd street as my STA-21 package was going up my ship's CoC. My Senior Chief had some choice words for me, but that was it. Of course, that was 2002. My buddy only got 35 days (to cover New Year's) and a suspended bust - I don't think that could happen any more.

phantom1914

Wait wait wait. Put you in the drunk tank until you blew zero? Why not let you call a cab? Were you underage at the time? Did you get NJP for this ARI?

It happened a few days ago Im not underage, but I didnt have any money on me to get a cab. We dont even know the outcome of this because its so new its only at the LPO LCPO level. I go to work for the 1st time since then, tomorrow.

phantom1914

Sounds like you got a bad shake. The extent of the damage depends on if you got NJP or not. Saying that you got an "ARI" is really vague.
yea its so early i guess ill just keep you informed on it. I hope i dont get NJPd for what I thought was making the right decision. But i know either way from now until i fully submit my package i will stive to show everyone that this was a minor mistake and i will bounce back by taking the neccessary classes or whatever is out there to show that i can put this behind me.

KBayDog

We dont even know the outcome of this because its so new its only at the LPO LCPO level.

Unfortunately for you, phantom, ARIs - especially those where there is police involvement (and even more so if you wind up in jail) - do not stay at the LPO/LCPO level in 2012. Your Chief might be dealing with you directly, but ARIs are the types of events that commanders want to know about right away. (Believe me, their commanders want to know about ARIs right away, too.) While you think your supervisors are keeping this quiet, the fact of the matter is that DUIs/ARIs are secrets that cannot be kept; your command will find out sooner or later...and you know what happens with bad news.

Just preparing you for the reality that your CO, CO, and CMC are most likely already well aware of what happened.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I personally would formally redress the Skipper ASAP (ARIs get TERRIBLE with time), tell my side of the story, admit my errors and offer him my corrective measures, tell him I still have a lot to offer the Navy as an Officer and brace for having his recommendation for my commission pulled.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Just preparing you for the reality that your CO, CO, and CMC are most likely already well aware of what happened.

Too add on to this....

Not telling your command ASAP is also one sure way to piss them off. Also, you could forget any chances of them going to bat for you. Bad news never gets better with time.