• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SERE school (Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Dunno about op sec, but guys who've been to SERE school that I've talked to say this... You'll find out when you get there. I've never been, but will go eventually... Guess I'll find out when I get there.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's a combination of OpSec (some of the stuff is classified) and not screwing the next guy. You get a lot more out of it if you don't know what's coming....you also get more stuff if you're not running your suck talking about what you think is going to happen next, only to learn that it's not.

I was always disappointed that I didn't buy the T-shirt, but I was too damn sore to get there before they closed...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First rule of SERE school. Don't talk about SERE school. Second rule of SERE school. Don't talk about SERE school. Any questions?

Thread locked because this isn't going any further.

MNU-OCS

I really couldnt find a decent place to post this topic, but API seemed to be the best place that i could think of. My question is when throughout the entire pipline of flight training is SERE training done, if at all. I know that special forces units go through SERE school, what is the deal with aviators?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Between winging and the FRS usually... sometimes after. At least that's how it is with NFOs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Apparently the answer is "one more." The question has been asked and answered many times, usually resulting in a closed thread. I'm all about preemptive strikes.

BTW, Bubba, in my SERE class there were several SNFOs waiting to start Advanced. Made it tough to come up w/ "interesting" answers when they asked what they did. You'll see what I mean "later."

BullGator

Marine Corps SERE Requirements

From what I have been reading about SERE requirements, it is required for the Navy's NAs and NFOs to take the SERE course but it is waiverable for Marines. That doesn't make sense to me, and I was wondering how true that is. I know that the SERE subject is confidential and I am not asking to get into any specifics on the training; I just wanted to know the following for my curiosity’s sake:

Are Marine NAs and NFOs required to go through SERE training, or is it common to get a waiver for it?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Moved to its own thread. I believe the reasoning is a budgetary one; your command has to pay to send you to SERE and so the Marines don't have enough money to send everyone. They just pick a lucky few.

The only classified aspects of SERE are some of the things you get taught while in the course and the methods in which they are taught; IIRC, you need a SECRET clearance to attend.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I know a few of my Osprey buddies have been told SERE is a very low priority for them ... doesn't mean it won't happen later but for the time being they get to miss out on that treat.

Besides those few guys everyone else I know has been getting an all expenses paid trip to beautiful Maine or sunny Warner Springs.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was out the other night at a local Tailhook event and guy who manages SERE was there. He said he was expecting many Marines in next year and not only aviators. Budget was an issue, but they're working the data call to see if they can absorb the demand.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
... but they're working the data call to see if they can absorb the demand.

That was the latest reasoning I've heard, that there's been an increase in the requests for a seat and there simply aren't enough seats/classes right now to handle the demand.

Bolter

pilot
Went to SERE about a month ago. I think SERE is great for the average young sailor who has never spent a night in the field or felt threatened by violence, but I don't think that it should be a huge priority for Marine pilots. We've been through a lot of BS, starting in Quantico (or the boat school), up until now.

Was it miserable--yes. Did I learn anything--certainly. Should it be a requirement--ehh, probably not. Did I buy the t-shirt--sadly, yes.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Went to SERE about a month ago. I think SERE is great for the average young sailor who has never spent a night in the field or felt threatened by violence, but I don't think that it should be a huge priority for Marine pilots. We've been through a lot of BS, starting in Quantico (or the boat school), up until now.

Was it miserable--yes. Did I learn anything--certainly. Should it be a requirement--ehh, probably not. Did I buy the t-shirt--sadly, yes.

You left out "Did I photocopy many copies of certificate of completion in case I have to prove I went...?"

navy12

Your are probably right about spending a night out among the stars not helping you out much, but if that is the case then about half of the class shouldn't be there, most of my class had endured many a kick in the balls prior to attending SERE and being cold, wet, hungry, and miserable was nothing new, but the captive part is invaluable, and if you are "in the know" and "going to bad places" and have the opportunity to attend SERE, DO IT!!! Something that I find very irritating is that some of my class had absolutely no reason to be there, (you know who you are combat camera!) and to think that Marine Aircrew are not getting this training just because of budget issues makes me sick.