• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SERE school (Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion)

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I'd say the platforms most likely to need SERE in the naval services are Marine helos, whose crews are ironically the least likely to get the training.

It may be ironic, but it is consistent with the notion that policy will always conform to that which makes the least sense.

There's comfort to be had in that kind of predictability.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It may be ironic, but it is consistent with the notion that policy will always conform to that which makes the least sense.

There's comfort to be had in that kind of predictability.

If you think your community needs to go, then you need to get your CoC engaged. There is no "policy" preventing any community that goes in harm's way from getting quotas, it's usually the community itself that doesn't advocate or engage to get their aviators through the school. Last time this came up, I checked with the overall coordinator who said some Marine communities aren't calling to get their people scheduled. Same thing happens for SEALs from time to time who have so many specialized schools and training evolutions that they can't fit it in before deploying.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I'd say the platforms most likely to need SERE in the naval services are Marine helos, whose crews are ironically the least likely to get the training.

More ironic, though. All E-6 pilots and most crew go through SERE.

Shit, man. If we're getting shot down... Pack it up boys, game's over.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
HJ, you may be correct in that statement. Marine r/w MAGs are the most stingy organizations TAD budget-wise, so I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is at our end rather than with Big Blue. Our priorities may be assed-up at the MAG/Wing level, at least in this regard. Add to that commanders who'd rather use those 2 weeks getting a copilot HLL and LLL qualed, and it gets pushed to the right, pushed to the right, until the guy's already done with his first fleet tour.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they send guys between Winging and FRS via ORDERS, wouldn't Big Marines foot the bill vice R/W MAG?

-ea6bflyr ;)

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Probably. At that point it would likely be TRACOM, but that rarely happens, so I was thinking of guys who go while at their squadron.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I went through, there were a bunch of SNFOs waiting for Advanced. I'm guessing nowadays, money is pretty tight even in the TRACOM. The one thing they've said they'll always have is fuel.

NUFO06

None
I had my SERE oders canceled back in May so I could class up early and now I have the joy of going in a couple of weeks. I know what Vermont feels like in Jan and I would imagine Maine is just as bad. Are they still giving out Cold Weather quals for the winter classes?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Got the CWEST in Maine in the month of April, but it was the April when China borrowed one of our EP-3s and was nice enough put the crew up for a week (ISTR they got out a day or two before we did...). During the evasion phase half of my class made it to the "safe house" (half is a lot). It was pretty funny when one of the instructors saw all of us packed in there and muttered something funny (role playing in the lab scenario of course). Then we got our asses kicked, yay!

For those who haven't gone yet there are lots of good reasons not to try to "get the gouge" but I don't think anybody's said you'd just be spinning your wheels. There are more instructional techniques than there is gouge and your first time in the program is the umpteen-hundredth time the school has run. Remember that saying about old age and treachery overcoming youth and skill? (Even one of my college calculus profs had that sign in his office...)

Concur with Pags on that cup of coffee. :)

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
As one of our instructors said, doing SERE in June in Brunswick is like being trapped in a Winn-Dixie. It's not that hard to get by. Doing it in the winter means that you are going to get hungry.

That CWST endorsement doesn't do a damn thing for you, though. 10 years later, I'm still waiting for the situation to arise where that helps at all. "Oh, you got CWST qual'd? In that case, why don't you take that ccx to Key West?"

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I didn't get a cold weather qual in March in Brunswick. All the ricky recon Jarheads were pissed about it. Other than dealing with their grumbling, I don't think it makes a difference as far as the Navy is concerned.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Actual recon jarheads, who might actually need the qual, or just uber-moto lieutenants who actually think it means something as a pilot?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I didn't get the stamp for Brunswick in February; 6" per day average snowfall, with one 14" night. That was awesome.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Actual recon jarheads, who might actually need the qual, or just uber-moto lieutenants who actually think it means something as a pilot?

These were actual Recon and MARSOC bubbas. It meant way more to them than it meant to aircrew.