• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Sequestration, parades, Richard Gere, and the plague.

robav8r

None
Contributor
All this fucking hand-wringing over a parade? Who cares? I was there for the ‘91 ODS parade - tanks on the street, missiles on trucks, jets filling the air. Oddly enough, no one died, the defense budget wasn’t blown and everyone but bitter, small-minded people had a great time. To the best of my knowledge not one child starved to death because of that parade and social security checks went out as planned. Don’t we have real issues to worry about?
In light of the current NDAA request, and the SECDEF’s comments to Congress, its a horrible optic. 1991 was a different fiscal environment, both mandatory and discretionary. As an aside, talk to the Army bubbas about what it takes to get an M1A1 to the NCR and how it has to be put on “display.” Humorous, if nothing else . . . .

Duc'-guy25

pilot
All this fucking hand-wringing over a parade? Who cares? I was there for the ‘91 ODS parade - tanks on the street, missiles on trucks, jets filling the air. Oddly enough, no one died, the defense budget wasn’t blown and everyone but bitter, small-minded people had a great time. To the best of my knowledge not one child starved to death because of that parade and social security checks went out as planned. Don’t we have real issues to worry about?

I don't think any of us are upset about a party, rather that in this fiscal age (which is dramatically different than 1991 along with our force readiness) we rather see spending on keeping a Hornet squadron flying or some training more valuable than marching down Penn. Ave. so the CinC can say, "looky looky!"

If Fleet Week isn't good enough for the public (where we have a chance to explain to them what we actually do and interact with the average taxpayer) then this idea is completely overboard. That being said I'm not the biggest proponent of Fleet Week, but that actually has some good morale value for sailors and Marines vice forcing an uncalled for number of them to spend their Saturday marching around a city in formation. I know the French love celebrating Bastille Day, and it is a cool presentation; however, in our current political climate I don't think theres any value to this.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
In light of the current NDAA request, and the SECDEF’s comments to Congress, its a horrible optic. 1991 was a different fiscal environment, both mandatory and discretionary. As an aside, talk to the Army bubbas about what it takes to get an M1A1 to the NCR and how it has to be put on “display.” Humorous, if nothing else . . . .
I get it. Especially the budget part, but if planned all of our “optics” on budget the Blues and the Birds would be riding bikes at air shows and the only fly-bys at sporting event would the neighbors drone. Don’t forget, we tried that route a few years ago and “the people” weren’t pleased. They like their shows.

As for the moving large weapon systems into DC, I see it done every year. It is a paperwork drill, but hardly a heavy lift for the MDW or the units involved.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I don't think any of us are upset about a party, rather that in this fiscal age (which is dramatically different than 1991 along with our force readiness) we rather see spending on keeping a Hornet squadron flying or some training more valuable than marching down Penn. Ave. so the CinC can say, "looky looky!"

If Fleet Week isn't good enough for the public (where we have a chance to explain to them what we actually do and interact with the average taxpayer) then this idea is completely overboard. That being said I'm not the biggest proponent of Fleet Week, but that actually has some good morale value for sailors and Marines vice forcing an uncalled for number of them to spend their Saturday marching around a city in formation. I know the French love celebrating Bastille Day, and it is a cool presentation; however, in our current political climate I don't think theres any value to this.
As I noted above, I got it. But now explain away the Blue Angles, the Thunderbirds, Fly Overs, touch-a-tank days and such. We tried that route and most people were very unhappy. As I noted before, people occassionally like to see the toys they pay for.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Except the Blues and the Birds and touch-a-tank days are requested by the military, for the benefit of the military, for a purpose. This isn’t that.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

I'd be willing to bet there'd be plenty of interaction before, and after said parade. I'll also be willing to bet that Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines in attendance will have plenty of morale boosting during and after the parade. That being said, is it necessary, nah, fuck it though, if we only do a parade every 20+ years should we bitch about it every time? When it comes down to it, wherever this parade is held there will be I'll bet there is a rather large attendance. I'm sure Trump will remind everyone about the historical numbers after the parade. We're the peoples' military, as stated above, they like a show every once in a while, even when a minority will claim otherwise.
Except the Blues and the Birds and touch-a-tank days are requested by the military, for the benefit of the military, for a purpose. This isn’t that.
So, the CinC doesn't represent the military? Shit, missed that one somehow.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Come on man, seriously? The Blues and Birds are funded by the military for the public. They are support and recruiting tools. As for touch-a-tank, you have me there.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
In terms of the Blues, T-Birds and Fleet Week, sure they cost a fair amount of money from the DoD but they have an inherent mobility that comes with them that other units do not. Ships are going to sail regardless so why not have them pull into a local port for a couple days for some fun. They do it overseas enough anyways. For the Blues and T-Birds, yes they are extra but are already established units and moving them from city to city is easy and they go to established airfields. As for a parade through DC, a very busy city with a lot going on on even the quietest of days is something different. Flyovers are easy, but moving tanks, personnel and weapons systems aren't and it'll take a lot of coordination (just think of the security alone). We already have enough display of forces and recruiting tools, we don't need a massive parade through the nation's capital.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...We're the peoples' military, as stated above, they like a show every once in a while, even when a minority will claim otherwise.

And all the airshows and other public displays are to help show that, this parade would be expressly at the behest of the President hence the controversy.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
As I noted before, people occassionally like to see the toys they pay for.

Oh do they? Fine. I'll drive down the Lemoore flight line and take photos of all the birds sitting with wings, flaps, and motors missing, and show them the toys they paid for. Not flying, fighting, or doing much of anything except casting a shadow on the ramp for years at a time. Maybe the people deserve to see that, and realize that it's the short-sightedness of their elected officials which have caused it. Lord knows, I'm tired of seeing such beautiful machines reduced to such an embarrassment.

Enjoy your fucking parade.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, there's this slight minor detail. Namely that we had that parade after . . . umm . . . what was it? Oh yeah . . . winning a fucking war.