• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sequestration and you...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
A lot of people are quoting job markets for people with technical degrees. I bet that A) those people would be offered jobs anyway even without Navy on the resume had they used their "basic networking skills" while a college student and b) the 6-10 years in the Navy probably set their civilian technical career back a bit from where they'd be if hired out of college.

Not everyone is an engineer, though, and I think $trader's point is that 6-10 years as a Naval Officer won't automatically get you a 6 figure income. In fact, most of John Q Public has no idea what we actually do on a daily basis, particularly if you're a SWO or submariner, so they can't size up your skills just by having Navy on the resume. For the non-techs on avg they'll be better off than when they first graduated college for sure, but still in the range he quoted.

MasterBates

Bradley Morris?

In all truthfulness, BM and Lucas and Orion got me interviews and offers that were comparable to what I found on my own.

We have a few other former JO engineers here.
One fallen angel, who makes about what I do.
On former AF guy who makes slightly more than I do (he has a PE)
Former Army infantry officer, who makes a bit more than the rest, he's been here longer.

The guy who found us not through a headhunter didn't start at any higher pay than those of us who did. YMMV of course. I think he may have gotten some move money, in exchange for x months he can't leave.

I'm torn on the headhunters.. They found me my current job, which pays well, and I never would have even known then company existed (we are now part of the second biggest oil service company.. when I started.. Not so much). I know some jobs, you get a lower starting pay to deal with their fee.

My current employer views their fee as "worth it" to find ex JOPA and senior E's to work here, and I was maxed out at starting pay for my education and experience when I showed up.

Renegade One

None
My current employer views their fee as "worth it" to find ex JOPA ...and I was maxed out at starting pay for my education and experience when I showed up.

How's their version of the K-Kat coming along? That would totally turn a "nice" employee lounge (probably a favorite local pub) into something "quite special"...:)

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I started a thread on here about how it went for me finding a job after I retired last summer, but short version is I agree with wm. Your education and the jobs you choose in the Navy will have a direct effect on your options when you get out.

Shorter version: plan ahead or take what you get.

MasterBates

How's their version of the K-Kat coming along? That would totally turn a "nice" employee lounge (probably a favorite local pub) into something "quite special"...:)

I have unlimited access to liquid nitrogen.

The catapult is stronger. Brent will tell me how it felt when he comes out of the body cast.

exNavyOffRec

A lot of people are quoting job markets for people with technical degrees. I bet that A) those people would be offered jobs anyway even without Navy on the resume had they used their "basic networking skills" while a college student and b) the 6-10 years in the Navy probably set their civilian technical career back a bit from where they'd be if hired out of college.

Not everyone is an engineer, though, and I think $trader's point is that 6-10 years as a Naval Officer won't automatically get you a 6 figure income. In fact, most of John Q Public has no idea what we actually do on a daily basis, particularly if you're a SWO or submariner, so they can't size up your skills just by having Navy on the resume. For the non-techs on avg they'll be better off than when they first graduated college for sure, but still in the range he quoted.

Here is my info/experience: 23 years nuke MM CPO, BA and MA, I was offered several jobs in tech fields with starting pay between 60K and 90K excluding bonuses, but all required relocation, due to circumstances couldn't do that. I was offered a non tech job locally that with minimal bonuses would have put me at 6 figures but instead I took the job that was under 6 figures but is a better work environment, it is also non tech.

What I found is many jobs have a basic requirement for some type of Bachelors degree, some use terms "Bachelors or relevant experience", if you are flexible on location the jobs are out there.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
How else do people find jobs??

Seriously???? Ok, I will tell you the #1 way to find jobs. Personal networking. I have interviewed people who came to me from Airwarriors, I got my first job post-USN talking to a guy at the gym, I got my second (and current job of now 13 years) from a guy who I worked with on another project who liked the work I did,

I have hired or gotten interviews for friends and relatives of numerous people that have reached out to me. I look at maybe 20 resumes a week that are filtered to me from head hunters to HR to me and I ask to interview perhaps one a month. If you're using a head hunter fine. If you're only using a head hunter then you're a fool. Reach out and use every single contact you have. You have no idea who knows whom.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
Ok, which part is BS? Point 1, 2, 3, or 4?

From someone who has "jumped ship" recently I'm going to throw the BS flag as well.

1 - Unemployment for those with a 4-year degree or better is 3.7% right now. This is right at the "full employment" rate. Skilled people with recent work experience are highly employable right now. The SF Fed today released a report stating that long term unemployment is trending down.

2 - My standard of living will be approximately the same or better than what I was making as an 8-year LT just an hour down the road (even after considering I'll have to pay CA taxes). I'm single so I am sure my number was nowhere near the 135K number you posted. Also comparing year 1 salary does not present a clear picture. If you perform well, it will lead to increased pay, benefits, and opportunities.

3 - Many employers out there are looking for the experience military officers bring. Otherwise the JMO recruiters would long be out of business. GE and other Fortune 500 companies have programs where they hire former JOs and spend up to a year in training programs. These jobs are set up for fast track to higher management. I have an MS in engineering and had several opportunities available to me that were in excess of six figures even though I have zero actual experience in engineering. Also, looking back I am sure I could have done a much better job managing my transition.

4 - I am not sure how interest rates/inflation have a different impact for someone is still in the military vs someone who got out. If anything, I would expect future COLA raises in the military to be below the rate of inflation as the government tries to resolve the debt issue.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
1 - Unemployment for those with a 4-year degree or better is 3.7% right now. This is right at the "full employment" rate. Skilled people with recent work experience are highly employable right now. The SF Fed today released a report stating that long term unemployment is trending down.
To add to Trader's comments, a recent Forbes (I think?) article stated that approximately 48% of people with a 4-year degree are employed in jobs that don't require a degree, and about 1/3 of those people are working in jobs that don't even require a high school degree (ie wait staff, bartending, etc).

It's all moot anyway since an 8-year LT (or 23 year MMC) is not the same as someone fresh out of college whose resume consists of a summer internship or two and part-time work at the local bagel shop. But the fact remains that while unemployment may be trending downward, under-employment remains high, indicating that the job market isn't as hunkey-dory for everyone.