• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sequestration and you...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The one thing to remember about this whole debate is that the Navy has gotten more money (in inflation adjusted dollars) ever year for the past 15. The sequestration cuts are not actually cuts. They are just not as much of a budget increase as the Navy had planned for. If we continue to spend like sequestration won't happen, we are just playing brinkmanship with congress. The Navy needs to start figuring out how to do less with less.

BTW, please tell me we aren't still spending money to buy bio jet fuel.

So were are these extra expenditures coming from? It'd make sense that if your budget from the previous year carried over to the next year, it should be ok. Apparently not.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Sad that we aren't allowed to completely garnish Congress' wages while this crap goes on. At some point we will either:
A. Be leaving boats at sea till they (and their crews) physically can't float anymore, with no replacement on the horizon. 10+month deployments anyone?
B. We will waive deployment training and readiness requirements and just start sending boats out because we have no other choice.
C. Have to finally cry uncle, admit that we just can't continue to do everything with nothing and see what Congress/govt think about only having 1 CSG total underway. (Pick your desired hotspot because we can't maintain a 2.5 presence everywhere at once anymore.)

Not to mention the impact this will have on aircraft and aircrew readiness...

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Holy shit.
No mention of us Jolly... If there is, it may be classified?!?!? What do you think? Block mod put on hold?

I got a good one. Just winged on the 25th, but apparently my orders are on hold. I got SERE enroute to FRS, classing up in March. However, X Bureau has no money for the per diem for February, so I get to wait until I can go direct. Unfortunately, my original 15 month lease expires in February (been here since Nov '11), and the place is already leased out to replacements. Pending discussion with Personal Property, I probably can't get reimbursed for either temp lodging and storage for household goods nor moving wife and house to Jax and staying here in Corpus on my own, without orders.

Probably not all Congress's fault, but they certainly made it inconvenient. Time to get creative!
Corpus is pretty warm. I'd say put you stuff in storage, find a state park and camp out! :)

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
No mention of us Jolly... If there is, it may be classified?!?!? What do you think? Block mod put on hold?

To quote the illustrious Schoolbubba: "I give zero fucks" about TACAMO after today. Good luck to you.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor

I just wanted to bring up this chart on recent and projected spending under different scenarios.

Source: Reason.com

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
Well, apparently with that cold front blowing through, somebody put their coat on and found some money in the pocket from last year. Situation resolved! I did consider camping in a hammock on the beach for free for a while though.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It still mystifies me how the DoD budget is dramatically larger in real dollars than it was a few years ago, when I don't remember things being so bad, yet somehow any cut today from an already huge figure somehow causes momumental operational effects. Where the hell is all that extra money going?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Price gouging by the military industrial complex to deliver their substandard products?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
It still mystifies me how the DoD budget is dramatically larger in real dollars than it was a few years ago, when I don't remember things being so bad, yet somehow any cut today from an already huge figure somehow causes momumental operational effects. Where the hell is all that extra money going?

Look at the budget and the stuff that isn't being used to create, deploy, or utilize warheads on foreheads is a growing component of the budget and since removal will gore some congresscritters oxen it stays and becomes "critical to defense"

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...itary-budget-without-touching-defense/265519/

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Is he the XO of one of the East Coast HMLA's who happened to marry a female stripper?

Now THERE's some call sign material...

Anyone think that some of these numbers are posturing on the Navy's side to get Congress to DO something instead of sit on their ass?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot

How am I supposed to fly on Sunday during football season without being able to watch DirecTV (TM) on the jet and make Satphone calls to my broker?