• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sept. 30 - NO MORE NAC WINGINGS AT FRS

Jbruno

I am curious to know why the navy decided to no longer allow AW's to pin on their wings after completion of their FRS. I am in FRAC right now and am being told any class graduating after September 30th 2009 will not get pinned, instead will be given a PQS once at their final command? If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it. Thanks

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting...maybe big Navy is fixing something that's broken with the system.

When I earned my NAC wings, I did so at my fleet command after completing the PQS and getting the requisite flight hours.

-ea6bflyr ;)

lmnop

I am curious to know why the navy decided to no longer allow AW's to pin on their wings after completion of their FRS. I am in FRAC right now and am being told any class graduating after September 30th 2009 will not get pinned, instead will be given a PQS once at their final command? If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it. Thanks
I can't speak specifically to NAC, but I have seen the same thing done in other communities in order to shift a qualification skill badge over to a warfare device/qualification.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The word I get from the FE's around here (as well as some of the AWO's) is to keep guys on track to get their qual's done at the squadron. Too many guys using up the full 18 months they got from the wing, and then some...plus failing boards, doing stupid shit. The NAC is worth 2 extra points on the eval for making PO3/2/1 as well.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
NAC is on its way to becoming a rating (like SO, EOD, etc...)
The Naval Aircrew Breast Insignia is also becoming a primary warfare device, instead of just a specialty badge. In other words, soon (if not already) NAC will where their gold wings ABOVE everything else on their chest (makes sense huh?) To be a warfare device, there has to be a PQS.

East

东部
Contributor

BourneID

pilot

This has been in the works for a long time now, and shouldn't be News to anyone in the fleet. As for what PS said about it being worth 2 points on the Advancement exam, it has been for a long time however now, that only AW's and a few CT's will be the ones wearing the wings, only the CT's will benefit from the 2 points because just about every othe swinging D$%& will have the points as well. yYu can now wear your NAC wings over the other enlisted warfare devices if you have earned them, and like posted above NASWS (NAC) is now a warfare qualification.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor

Like ea6b said, this is not new. This is returning back to the way things were. In my case, 13 months after arriving to my fleet squadron I pinned on my wings. I was in the middle of a deployment. Funny thing was, that my designation letter was dated three months prior to the date that it reached me on the ship.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I kinda think thats bogus to not wing at the end of FRS for NAC's. I winged as a COD crewman at the end of VAW-120 in 2002. As a crewman, I came out of there as a T2C (transport second crewman) having completed the required syllabus and flew the required amount of flight hours. Yes, once I got to my fleet squardon, those quals meant nothing and I had to requal and go through their syllabus. I just think that after making it through boot camp, NACCS, A School, then the FRS, they should be able to wear their wings. If they make it through the FRS, they will be able to earn their quals at the squardon, thats how I look at it. I'm sure for NAC's that winged out of the FRS, we'll have different feelings than those who actually had to wait until their fleet squadrons. Thats how I feel about it.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
We no longer wing COD crewmen at -120. It's all at -30/40 now. Mixed feelings on it - I winged at VS-41 and was "fully qualified" even though I still had PQS to complete at the fleet level that covered exactly what I had learned at the FRS.

East

东部
Contributor
I think GOLD should always be worn on TOP!
That's the wing you're sporting on your nametag anyway, not the EAWS!