• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Separation / Retirement move entitlements?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm in the process of trying to set up my separation move from Japan back to the States. Of course, since I'm in Japan on a relatively small base the whole process has added difficulty. Most of the resources I have at my disposal are either E-3s or Japanese nationals. Although the Js are knowledgable, there's always something lost in the translation. So here's my question:

Since I'm being involuntarily separated, I'm entitled to a Home of Selection move like a retiree. My plan is to head from Japan to the Phoenix area to separate and find a job. However, I don't want to send my HHGs to Phoenix in the event that I get a job elsewhere. I'd obviously like all my crap to go to my final home. I know I can do this via NTS and I have a year after separation to make my decision.

However, if I tell PSD that I want them to fly me to PHX for outprocessing, does that count as my HOS or is that just the Navy sending me stateside to separate and I'm still entitled to HOS travel from PHX to elsewhere?

Clear as mud?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I recently got the form letter that my one year post retirement move entitlement is about to expire if I don't use it.

I honestly don't think that you will lose your move entitlement. But the difficulty will be finding a PSD or someone knowledgable. Going directly to the source seems like the best bet though.

Renegade One

None
I think the others above have it about right, but here's what I recall:

Think you are entitled to a "move now" (call it the express shipment…) for wherever you intend to "go now".

Then I think you are entitled to 12 month's "temp storage" of your major stuff…which should give you enough time to figure out a longer-term plan. Then it gets delivered there. If you're still not ready after 12 months, you just pick up the "temp storage" monthly payments.

For all: Sound about right?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can also submit for a one-year extension on your move up to five years I believe. I seem to remember that from somewhere.......

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
The extensions are really easy to get - I'm on one right now.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
I separated from Japan earlier this year without knowing where I was was going to take a job. Mine was a voluntary separation vice involuntary so the entitlements are a little different - you should have more than I did.

I was able to ship my HHG back to the US without a final destination. They were shipped to a storage facility outside SF until I had settled on location to have them delivered. I waited until the last minute to have them picked up in Japan knowing it would be a while before I needed them in the US. If you have anything in NTS you are allowed to extended this past your separation as well. Getting this extended took several trips to personal property to get the paperwork correct. If you are coming up on your scheduled PRD stay on top of this.

Don't forget that since you are involuntarily separated overseas, you are entitleted to 30-40 (I forget the exact number check the MILPERSMAN) days of house hunting / job hunting leave. This can be combined with your terminal leave.

Additionally, I would recommend separating from TPU Puget Sound even though you can elect another TPU. You will spend ~5 days there, but they are efficient with the paperwork and familiar with your entitlements.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
One more note on the TPU. If you go to Puget Sound, you are entitled to travel from Seattle to your HOR / HOS (or possibly other locations based on costs). If you elect another PSD you only get transportation from Japan to there. Seperating in Japan will require approval from CNFJ and unless you plan on staying in Japan does not seem worth the effort. I am not sure if there is a PSD in Phoenix, but if so they are probably not very familiar with your paperwork/entitlements.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only PSD is at the Reserve Center...ah, Operational Support Center. Haven't been there in years. Was never overly impressed though when I was a regular. When I was active duty in Phoenix we used NJK or NTC San Diego when at the command HQ.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I separated from Japan earlier this year without knowing where I was was going to take a job. Mine was a voluntary separation vice involuntary so the entitlements are a little different - you should have more than I did.

I was able to ship my HHG back to the US without a final destination. They were shipped to a storage facility outside SF until I had settled on location to have them delivered. I waited until the last minute to have them picked up in Japan knowing it would be a while before I needed them in the US. If you have anything in NTS you are allowed to extended this past your separation as well. Getting this extended took several trips to personal property to get the paperwork correct. If you are coming up on your scheduled PRD stay on top of this.

Don't forget that since you are involuntarily separated overseas, you are entitleted to 30-40 (I forget the exact number check the MILPERSMAN) days of house hunting / job hunting leave. This can be combined with your terminal leave.

Additionally, I would recommend separating from TPU Puget Sound even though you can elect another TPU. You will spend ~5 days there, but they are efficient with the paperwork and familiar with your entitlements.

Good gouge, thanks Ghost.

I actually elected to outprocess at the NRD in Phoenix to get my family and I to our temporary location until I find gainful employment. I've been in contact with the folks there and they've been very helpful. I think they process all their paperwork through Camp Pendleton's PSD, but that should be transparent to me (knock on wood).

I'm just concerned that PSD will treat PHX as my HOS and that will then require my HHGs to be sent there vice wherever I may actually end up (maybe PHX, who knows?), but it's sounding like that's not the case, I think I just need to avoid doing travel claims in PHX.

Good to know that I can extend my NTS if necessary.

Copy all on the PTDY for job/househunting, I already have the factored in. I've been lucky in that my command was very understanding of my situation and sent me home from patrol to go TAD to the HQ in Sasebo so I could have good internet and phone services to help with the job hunt.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Engineering / Program management. I don't have a specific area of the country in mind, trying to cast a large net and see what's out there.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Great gouge on the HHG extension! Just researched it, and see that I need to submit a letter and hope for the best. Time to break open MS WORD and get to channel my Retired HINGE within... nah, that's enough work for today, I will do it tomorrow! :)

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Engineering / Program management. I don't have a specific area of the country in mind, trying to cast a large net and see what's out there.

PM if you'd like me to look at your resume - I'm pretty involved with hiring at an aerospace outfit.