• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selective Early Retirement (SER)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
True statement. None of the calculators (staynavy, etc) go higher than 75, and isn't the only way you can retire with higher than 75% is to have five stars on your collar or a MoH around your neck (under the 10% increase in retired pay rule)?

EDIT: Just remembered that five-stars technically don't retire. The principle is the same though.

Not true. It was changed earlier that you can actually earn up to 100% retirement pay. I'm at the airport right now so can't cite the source, but I'll do it tomorrow.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I tried to post before on this thread but alas......

You can now earn up to 100% towards retirement, a former squadron skipper of mine who did 11 years as a CWO in the Army and my former boss who just retired as a USMC Colonel after 40 years are both earning over 75% of their pay. They way they were both able to do it is that they had prior service, the Marine was enlisted and CWO before becoming a regular officer and went to 40 and is now earning 100% retirement, he mentioned that they had changed the law in 2006. If someone has prior service and they make O-6 it would be pretty easy for them to go over 30 and earn the extra retirement, I believe HYT for an O-6 being 30 years of commissioned service. Apparently you can earn more than 100% but the only people I believe who are going to be able to do that are 3 and 4 star GO/FOs since they are appointed, I don't think MCPON and his service equivalents can exceed 40. I think everyone else has to retire when they hit 40, even if they have not hit HYT yet.

I cannot find the law but here is a link that mentions the 100% and beyond.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
True statement. None of the calculators (staynavy, etc) go higher than 75, and isn't the only way you can retire with higher than 75% is to have five stars on your collar or a MoH around your neck (under the 10% increase in retired pay rule)?

EDIT: Just remembered that five-stars technically don't retire. The principle is the same though.

Wow...does anyone research anything or just spout off what comes to mind. http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/retired-pay/military-retirement-system

I put in the same parameters into the Stay Navy calculator and changed only the years of service from 31-40 years. It went up as it should. I didn't check the "etc" calculators you reference.

desertoasis-a few more post like your last one and you might get an acute case of OttoWrote8 a.k.a. FOS

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Every year beyond 20, up to 30 years, gets you another 2.5% of your retirement base pay.

No shit, Sherlock.

My point is that you could leave and get half your pay just for breathing. Stay in the military and you are dealing with all the BS just to get the other half.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Umm, not quite- FTS O-5>20 SERAD boards exist from time to time. There was (or was supposed to be?) one last year but I can't remember whatever became of it. <shrug> I can't remember because it wasn't on my list of "things that I worry about" (a very short to non-existent list). Maybe I'll ask around next week.

Hmm, okay, that might have been the other half of the rumor mill I was hearing parts of. That does make more sense now. I thought the boards were supposed to be annually, but no one had been doing them, and that was the problem. Regardless, I have this sneaking suspicion that it won't matter to me in a couple of years.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
No shit, Sherlock.

My point is that you could leave and get half your pay just for breathing. Stay in the military and you are dealing with all the BS just to get the other half.

Easy, Holmes. I read your post to mean that after 20, all you're going to get is 50% no matter how much longer you stay in. Excuse me for the misinterpretation.

If you like what you're doing (or can put up with the BS), why not stay until forced to retire? Since retirement is only calculated with base pay, you'll be making quite a bit more than twice what your monthly retirement check would be, factoring in other pay and allowances.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick

Well, 50% of base pay isn't exactly get fat and retire money. Some people are scared at the prospect of finding a job so they figure they can keep slimin' it in the Navy (which might be why they're not promoting). Let's not forget BAH too. When you factor that in, your retirement is closer to ~40% of what you were used to making.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Wow...does anyone research anything or just spout off what comes to mind. http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/retired-pay/military-retirement-system

I put in the same parameters into the Stay Navy calculator and changed only the years of service from 31-40 years. It went up as it should. I didn't check the "etc" calculators you reference.

desertoasis-a few more post like your last one and you might get an acute case of OttoWrote8 a.k.a. FOS

OK, OK, it was bad gouge. Absolutely no need to stomp on my nuts. Sheesh.

If it matters, the 'etc' calculator I was thinking of was the one on the OSD website. It is also 100% @ 40 years. I was wrong, sorry all.

Not sure I wanna know what FOS means either.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor

Oh...FOS = Full of...something.

It was bad gouge, I apologize. I didn't know the rules allowed above 75%. Now I do.

The 'etc' calculator I was referring to was the one on the OSD website, which is linked to that military.com article you posted. Calculated on that, and it topped out at 100 for 40 also.

You were right and I was wrong.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Oh...FOS = Full of...something.

It was bad gouge, I apologize. I didn't know the rules allowed above 75%. Now I do.

The 'etc' calculator I was referring to was the one on the OSD website, which is linked to that military.com article you posted. Calculated on that, and it topped out at 100 for 40 also.

You were right and I was wrong.

Yeah, I screwed that one up too. They changed the law back in April 2007 to add more longevity raises and to allow up to 100% base pay retirement after 40 years. Before the law changed, the percentage topped out at 75%.