• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selections coming up...

sundevil_av8r

pilot
And I am trying to decide whether to put J1 or J2 for my first choice. I know that it really doesn't matter, and the Navy will do whatever they want. But if for some reason my request has anything to do with it, I'd like to get some info. I have read all the posts on the differences between them but I have some more questions and would like to get some advice. I have a fiance and a dog that are moving with me, and we are both impartial to the location. She works from home, so local job availability won't be part of our decision. All we need is internet and a post office.

Housing concerns:

I would like to get my own place but I can't find a single house for rent online in Meridian. The Woodlands Apartments look nice but they say they only accept small dogs (mine is 70 lbs.) I like Hunter's Cove in Krock, but does anyone know if my fiance and dog will be able to live there?

Is there anything else I should be thinking about when moving my fiance and dog? Whether it be Krock, Meridian, Whiting, etc? All advice and info is greatly appreciated.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Some of the best advice I ever received: "Never pick or pass up a duty station because your wife does or does not want to go there."

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I don't know where you are, but in Corpus, there is no "J1, J2" selection. It is just "Tailhook". If you want to put in the margin a location you'd prefer, then that is your prerogative, however, if you do that, keep in mind, you are just limiting yourself, because if they need a slot in the location you DON'T want and another guy has your exact same NSS and is willing to go anywhere, guess who they may pick?

Just some food for thought. :)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
At Whiting, we had to put T1 or T2, we couldn't just put "T". I tried to put "T1" as first choice and "T2" as 2nd choice, but I was politely told it was not allowed: if there were no Meridian slots, but there were Krock slots, I would be sent there anyway.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
There are houses for rent here in Meridian, I know of a really nice one and mine will be up for rent once I leave. My landlord is great too. You can get a list of houses for rent from the family housing office. I would suggest Meridian because of its location:D (in relation to other good places like Jax, Pcola, Hotlanta, Memphis, Katrinaville).

sundevil_av8r

pilot
Some of the best advice I ever received: "Never pick or pass up a duty station because your wife does or does not want to go there."

yeah i figured i'd hear that from someone. like i said though, she is impartial. she wants what is best for me. since both would take me to my ultimate goal, i don't care. so i am trying to make a request based on housing, quality of life, and the other things I do when not on base.

i need to find out about the housing options for both locations, and which will work best for us.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Yeah Otto, at Whiting the selection card is [T1 T2] or [T2 T1] for one block. So obviously, the other jet locn is your second "sub"-choice, and you are not limiting yourself.

And I think that "advice" about choosing a duty station completely independent of your wife's desires is either outdated or completely wrong. Especially for training - you're only there for a year or so. If it makes your wife/significant other happier to be somewhere, and all you care to do is concentrate on training, then going to the place that's best for both of you will probably maximize your quality of life. Sundevil - guess you lucked out on this one.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about when moving my fiance and dog? Whether it be Krock, Meridian, Whiting, etc? All advice and info is greatly appreciated.

Both locations have their pros and con's. It really depends on you, your personality, your lifestyle, your family. What activities do you like? If you like hunting, maybe south Texas is best...you like boating, lake life, Meridian might be your choice...blah blah you get the point. Do some research, look at the pro's and con's to both areas, because one might be a shock for you while other may not. Local Chamber of commerce in Meridian or Kingsville can give you information as well as your current housing office are a good place for information too.

As for the towns...having lived in both, they both are not the metropolis type, so don't get your hopes up. Meridian has more green color while Texas is brown most of the time. Both places are hot and humid as hell in summer time. K-rock does on average, have better weather and less canceled hops do to weather. K-rock is flat while Meridian has some rolling terrain. South Texas beaches are not P-cola beaches so might be disappointed in quality of beach but at least can get on water.

As for personal life, it is really what you like. Corpus is 40 minute drive (and yes you have to live in K-rock). You have to drive further in Meridian to get to places (P-Cola 2.5 hours etc). It is easier to get a commercial airline out of Corpus then Meridian...have to drive to Jackson which is about 90 minute drive...something to think about for leave. Do you have kids? Research the school systems because that might be factor too.

K-rock now has "C" models, and is now training students in "C" models so that is also an option. That decision is up to squadron's/wing so no real guarantee. The squadron manning used to be smaller in K-rock then Meridian (might have changed). That itself has it's pro's and con's and depending on who you talk to, each has their own opinion. K-rock has 30% "C" models. 70 alphas and 30 charlies.

The time to train is a wash now. Manning issues in K-rock have increased time to train. You may want to take your time in training (I got winged as an Ensign and showed up to my fleet squadron as a LTjg...that has pros and cons)...side bar if you want...but you really have no control over that. Sim instructors are sim instructors. Everyone has horror stories and some have had great experiences with the so called bad sim instructors. It is student dependent.

As for “A” students being better/worse than “C” students…that is up for debate. Personally (and this is my opinion only) I think you learn the basic piloting skills better in an “A” than the “C” rather than being too system dependent from day one. As for the F18 Rags seeing a difference, they do, I’m not going to say what it is because I don’t want to base your decision on that. Digital vs steam gauges...not a hard transition at all but remember the goal of training (other that getting your wings of gold :) ) is to have a core of basic naval aviation skills and some tactics/tactical knowledge to develop and build upon in the RAG's.

Your career path is in your own hands. All you can do is try to gather up some knowledge/gouge and make the best request you can that will suit you....and remember you just might not always get your number one choice...and certainly not throughout your entire career. You can make or break yourself in flight school. I personally would not worry too much about which location is better and try to game it that way. Go where you will be happier. The program alone is stressful, and making a rash decision on which location will only make it more stressful. Both places have great spouses club, use them if it applies. Do you have buddies you know from primary etc going to same place?

Congrats if you get Tailhook. Either choice you make you will have a blast. And if you don't, just remember after you finish program you will PCS again. Best of luck.

nugget81

pilot
K-rock isn't that bad. As echoed above, Corpus is only 40 minutes away and is your typical place to go on weekends to actually do stuff (baseball games, the Lexington, Texas State Aquarium, etc). San Antonio and Austin are another 2-3 hours north and are within liberty limits. Time to train may be longer at the moment, but who cares? IP's are always talking about how they long to be in our shoes again. Ask yourself this - do you enjoy or hate living in Corpus right now (I imagine the "dirty south" refers to Corpus, no?)

Regardless, you will be told where you're going. I only know of one instance where someone was told he was going to K-rock and insisted on going to Meridian. He had the NSS to back up his request and stucon took care of him, so now he resides in Meridian. YMMV. Good luck Sun Devil!

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor

Worst advice I have ever heard on this site.

In 20 years, your family is all you have left. You have to balance your career progression with your family. Obviously you arent going to take a slot somewhere that is going to hurt your career just because her best friend lives there, but your family MUST be part of EVERY decision you make. Otherwise, in a couple years you won't have a wife. I've seen it happen, and its normally a result of the "Army is everything to me, you have to understand you are #2 until I get out" attitude. Don't be that guy.

sundevil_av8r

pilot

In 20 years, your family is all you have left. You have to balance your career progression with your family. Obviously you arent going to take a slot somewhere that is going to hurt your career just because her best friend lives there, but your family MUST be part of EVERY decision you make. Otherwise, in a couple years you won't have a wife. I've seen it happen, and its normally a result of the "Army is everything to me, you have to understand you are #2 until I get out" attitude. Don't be that guy.

that's how i see it. the navy is a huge part of my life. but isn't my entire life and i am going to include my family in every single decision i make. thanks to everyone for the great advice.

i guess i just have one big question. Does anyone in Kingsville know if my fiance, who is obviously not yet a dependent of mine, will be allowed to live with me in the PPV housing. I have seen the other options and don't think i would like to live anywhere else. If she can't, then maybe it would be better to request Meridian and rent a house.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Good luck to you Sundevil, selections are an exciting time. Hope you get what you want. Keep us posted.

MiG15

pilot
None

SO TRUE!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
At Whiting, we had to put T1 or T2, we couldn't just put "T". I tried to put "T1" as first choice and "T2" as 2nd choice, but I was politely told it was not allowed: if there were no Meridian slots, but there were Krock slots, I would be sent there anyway.

I stand corrected. Well, that is "teh ghey". You can't put T1 AND T2? They are different selections! I put Helo TWICE on my sheet and no one said a word to me. Meh. Good luck.

Put what you want, hope for the best, kick ass no matter what. :D