• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_steez

It's high time we put a selection topic on here for those eager, curious SNA's that want the low down on the most recent slots. I just selected 8/14/03 at TW-5. There were 7 jet slots given out at TW-5 (Whiting) and VT-2 got 4 of em. Oh, and don't believe the VT-Screw bit. You might have to stand watch a few more times...but I'd put them up against any other squadron any day.

There were 7 selectors in VT-2 alone, 23 selectors at TW-5. I can't speak for every other squadron but VT-2 had 4 guys go jets (3 Navy 1 Marine), 1 go E2/C2, and 2 go Helos. I know for a fact that jets have been good the 2 weeks before that, maybe more.

As for NSS, I know the top Navy gut had a 61.5 and got jets, and I know that one guy with a 57 got jets (I don't know the other 2 jet guy's scores). The previous week, I know for a fact that one guy got jets with a 53! Smile boys and girls...the jet draft is here.

Av Fan

Navy Selection Score. The higher your score, the better chance you will get the aircraft you want to fly.

a_steez

As a follow up. I just found out today in D-Jet training that Corpus had 7 jet slots as well last week with 1 E2/C2 slot. If you read my post above, Whiting had 7 slots last week...thats 14 jet slots last week!! I flew with a Commander on one of my last RI flights in primary...he said be prepared for the jet draft b/c the Navy is going to an all H-60 and F-18 Navy. Look at the trends...he's right on.
No gouge, just facts.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
a_steez,
As a side note to your trends. Long term, the Navy is going to increase the number of helo students by 20 to 40 percent over the next 5 years. (We have been briefed by CNATRA on it and have the PTR charts hanging up in our offices.) That is one of the reasons they are pulling JetRangers out of the desert and seriously considering putting in a 3rd HT squadron here at Whiting. The Navy is going to basically a 2 airframe type fleet (F/A-18's and H-60's) with more helos than the fleet has ever had before - and each one of the helos requires 2 pilots. Fair and balanced - I report, you decide :)

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
This may be a dumb question, but are the A-6s totally extinct now? I know the F-14s and F-18s were supposed to replace a lot of the missions flown by the A-6s... an ugly, but "traditional," if you will, plane. Also, another question... if they're going to increase helo pilots, are they also going to increase f-18 pilots? I want to fly (obviously preferably f-18s)... any type of plane would be great for me, but helos is a new thought. I never knew the Navy used so many helos, but of course I would do it and love it if they put me in one.

kevin

from what i gather from previous stuff, much more than half will be helos cause they have more pilots per craft. yes?

jmantel02

The hornet is already beginning to replace the S-3 and F-14, but the EF-18 will not be ready to step into the Prowler's shoes for another four or five years. Also, there will still be one F-14 squadron per carrier air wing until the airframes are no longer servicable (estimated 2012 to 2014). By 2009 to 2010 you can prob expect the carrier air wing to have 1 Tomcat squadron, 1 E-2 squadron, 1 C-2 Det, howevefr many helos they need, and all the rest some combination of hornets/super hornets.

kevin

no, we're not.....but hopefully congress has. no one knows if the jsf will even make it to production.

HornetDrvr

Expect the Tomcat to go away even earlier than the 2014 mentioned above. We have already seen CSGs (Carrier Strike Groups) deploy with all Hornet pointy nosed players and no Tomcats. 2008 was the latest that I have seen a Tomcat squadron flying. The JSF won't be here in significant numbers to call them deployable until the 2015 timeframe. Its coming though. Congress may hem and haw but there is too much international interest tied into the airplane now to completely canx it.

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
Talking to some of the Navy bubbas at the IFS school I'm at, only like 2 or 3 out of 8 or so that I've met and have talked to want jets. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.