• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selection Time...

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I'm just starting my second block of instrument sims (i.e. selecting in 2ish weeks) and I have no idea if I want jets or helos. I know I want offensive support, but have no idea which community I would fit better into. My priorities are pretty straight forward, helping the grunts on the ground while having fun doing it. I'd appreciate if anyone in advanced or beyond would chime in on this one (especially those of you who have time in both). Why did you pick what you did? Are you happy with your choice? What's the community like?

Also, I've searched this topic a few times and only found this thread:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146353&highlight=jets+vs+helos
Homeboy basically called helo pilots stupid, and the rest of the thread is used to destroy him. Not exactly helpful in my situation. If there's similar thread and I just missed it, sorry. Post the link and I'll shut up.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I won't tell you what to pick...because in my eyes there is NO choice....but I will tell you that if you pick Helos thinking you're shiat hot and think your performance will dictate what you get, it is my understanding this is not true. There's this nasty thing called quality spread which could have the #2 guy in helo land flying something with no forward firing ordinance. Quality spread is alive and well in jet land also, but lets be honest....quality spread into a Hornet or a Harrier? I wouldn't really call that quality spread. I say this knowing full well the Marine Corps flies the Prowler. While flying the Prowler was not my first choice, there is typically some one who wants it...and it seems people actually ENJOY flying it!? <--that was a joke. Let's be honest, in helo land the worst you'll get is 46's, in jet land the worst you'll get is a killing machine....either by slapping your face or zapping your balls. Or you'll attrite, which is also bad.

In my opinion, you NSS and your performance prior to now will select what you get, hope you make the right choice.

yodaears

pilot
Marine Jets put the largest amount of ordnance on target (compared to the rest of Marine Air), so that pretty much covers your grunt support needs. Remember all that NATOPs/Procedure Nazi stuff in primary? Yeah, it pretty much stops in advanced strike. Sure you have to know your EPs and you need to perform better than you performed in primary, but there is only so much you can change about a jet's condition in the air. It's not like you can go pulling circuit breakers in a T-45 like you could in a T-34. You are held to a higher standard here professionally speaking but the party never stops! Super fun flying, fantastic IPs and Sim intructors, awesome winging parties, and every stud around you had that dream as a little kid to be doing what they are doing. I can't imagine a better working environment. There's also this rumor about helos being pretty slow;)

KBayDog

There's this nasty thing called quality spread which could have the #2 guy in helo land flying something with no forward firing ordinance.

What? They make combat aircraft without FORWARD FIRING ORDNANCE?!?!?!?!:eek: When was someone going to tell me?

Let's be honest, in helo land the worst you'll get is 46's.

Yessiree Bob, y'all bees scrapin' da bottom of them-thar barrels with 46's. :D

There's also this rumor about helos being pretty slow;)

You're right, helos are pretty slow, especially compared to the mighty T-45. :rolleyes:

Pepe, the saddest thing about this thread is that the P-3 bubba is right on the money. Whether you're a Zapper, a Shooter (funny how the lowly rotor trash is the one who can spell ordnance correctly ;)), a Trucker, or a Bus Driver, you only exist to provide support to the boots on the deck.

Back to the original question: I'm extremely grateful that I chose (and was assigned) helos, and extremely grateful that I chose (and was assigned) Phrogs. I love the Assault Support mission(s) (even sans the almighty Forward-Firing Ordnance). While we are primarily troop transport, we are often called upon to fulfill many of the other missions of Marine Aviation.

I also love the type of flying that only helos provide. A quick look at the rules for helicopter flight vs. fixed wing flight (esp. Part 91 and 3710) will show you what I am talking about.

It's cliche, but you're going to love whatever you fly. Believe it. (And, as you've seen, if being a Shooter is what you want, you don't even need to know how to spell 'ordnance.' :D)

FLY_USMC

pilot
You spell checked your post 10 times....I know you did:)

Lets be honest, this is not a question that can be answered over the internet. Over beers at the O'Club maybe...standing next to your ride to see who gets more girls....maybe....but not on a forum.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Marine Jets put the largest amount of ordinance on target (compared to the rest of Marine Air), so that pretty much covers your grunt support needs.

Very true, but with the current type of wars we are fighting is there much need for something that can level a city block? I like the idea of going jets and being pretty much guaranteed shooters, but are they really helping as much as the helo bubbas? Not trying to insult, just not seeing much press about it lately.

And I know I'm not the only one with these questions. I was sitting at a TACAIR brief about a month ago and the IP (from meridian) briefly explained his concern over the drop in pilots trying to select jets. According to him, the shift is due to students saying they want to be apart of the fight.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to hear Marine Jet and Helo bubbas compare and contrast how many foreheads they put warheads on.

It seems like jet guys can go a whole deployment and not drop a single bomb (at least Navy side), but helos are doing shit every day. Are marines the same?

FLY_USMC

pilot
It seems like jet guys can go a whole deployment and not drop a single bomb (at least Navy side), but helos are doing shit every day. Are marines the same?

Being where I'm at and the position I am in, I'm not going to really get into this. BUT, if you thinking hauling USO Tour Entertainers, KBR Civilians, and Triwalls full of rubbed dog shit is doing shit everyday....then yes...you are exactly right, helos are doing shit everyday. Not saying that the Hornets are doing a whole lot more but I always find it funny when people think Cobras and Hueys are going out, taking fire, returning fire on a daily basis. Maybe they are in a different country, but the one I'm in it just isn't so. You are going to be in the Marine Corps a long time after you get your wings. Basing your decisions off of who you "think" is getting the action.....when I can honestly tell you that you are probably dead wrong......is dangerous. I can also promise you the Marine Corps isn't worried about a shortage of people selecting jets, it's probably a more politically correct way of saying "don't listen too much to the anti-jet mafia while you are in Primary." Me? I'd honestly rather provide air cover all day long and never drop a single bomb than haul beans, bullets, and band-aids from point A to point B all day long. This is straight form the horse's mouth, anyone who tells you anything different is happening where I'm at is lying to you. It may work for some people.....but do you remember that whole "support" thing that all the Ground guys at TBS desparately tried to stay away from, well, we have it on the Air side too.......Assault Support.

In the end, select whatever you want, I could personally care less. I'm not trying to piss in anybodys cereal either, and nothing I'm saying should be taken in a "I'm better than you are" manner, I'm just providing facts. In the long run, yeah, you'll probably like what you do. Everybody learns to say they love it after a year or so, whether they do or not.