• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selected For NFO, but want more info

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhightower

I just found out today that I was "proffessionally reccommended" for NFO. However, I wanted pilot. Before I make any decisions, I was wondering if anyone could give me a place to find good info on NFO, and the pros and cons of this. I am happy to have been selected, but very disappointed in not getting the pilot spot. any thoughts are appreciated.

ryan77

Congrats on the NFO recommendation. I think this is a good overview:

http://www.usna.edu/Users/history/carroll/Naval_Flight_Officer.htm

Bushmaster

Is it possible to cross-train from NFO to NA down the line?

"But those who hope in the LORD, will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31
01e.jpg

Brodie143

It is possible to cross over but very rare. Only a few people per year if any and it is up to the needs of the navy.

At least in Tomcats the RIO (NFO) does quite a lot of the work. From running the radar to targeting bombing targets with a lantirn pod, to radio calls to computer and systems checks. The RIO is also responsible for photo recon and can fire missile if need be. Plus on a dark night when the weather is really bad and the ship is rocking, you are not the one trying to land on a postage stamp. You are the calm reassuring voice helping out. Nor sure what NFOs do on other non-carrier platforms. On the bright side if you gotta get out of your jet really fast and earlier than expected you go first.

Not recommended but you can take a nap as well. Kinda tough for the pilot to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.