• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Never been an AR guy. Been shooting a few friends' lately, though. Thinking about getting one. Which do you guys think is best in terms of value? Trying to keep price down so I can spend more on accessories.

There's actually several threads on this from both Tex and myself. Don't get locked into "accessories." Get a decent rifle learn it first along with ammo. Colt 6920/6940, Noveske Basic, BCM and Spike's is where I'd start if I were you.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Never been an AR guy. Been shooting a few friends' lately, though. Thinking about getting one. Which do you guys think is best in terms of value? Trying to keep price down so I can spend more on accessories.

Build one! You'll learn more than you ever could buying a complete rifle by putting it together yourself. If you are looking that route, or even wanted a complete rifle, Palmetto State Armory is a good place to start. They had a mid-length 16" barrel with an Aimpoint PRO special a few months ago for $999, a very good deal.

Just some thoughts..... High capacity magazines will allow you to miss more often? If a gunfight requires enough ammo to start the Gulf War all over again, you are in a bad place without a Marine squad as backup. If you are intending to prepare for a firefight, you need at least three people armed with squad weapons, extra ammo or a combat load out, hopefully a medic taggin along.
On the practical note, ANY pistol you have practiced with and are proficient with should do the job with one or possibly two magazines. Past that and you are looking at a prolonged firefight and you'll be at a disadvantage.
I'm old school and love the 1911 and am VERY proficient with it all the way out to 200 yards. Not braggin, just stating facts. The gun is only part of the equation.
Semper Fi

I don't doubt your experience or proficiency, but I find this argument to be complete BS. This is like saying you can fly around with too much fuel. There's no reason to shortchange yourself. There is no downside to carrying an additional 5-7 rounds in a high capacity magazine besides a few ounces and a slight increase in grip size/very slight loss of concealability. High capacity magazines offer the opportunity for a skilled shooter to get more hits in a shorter amount of time. If you're not proficient, sure, it's just more opportunities to miss, but then again, nothing is going to help you if you suck.

Additionally, the only reason a 1911 should be considered an adequate platform anymore is that it's one of the easiest pistols to shoot under stress. There are more reliable, more accurate, higher capacity and lighter options available today. I love them, and have one, but it's not my go-to gun by far.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Build one! You'll learn more than you ever could buying a complete rifle by putting it together yourself. If you are looking that route, or even wanted a complete rifle, Palmetto State Armory is a good place to start. They had a mid-length 16" barrel with an Aimpoint PRO special a few months ago for $999, a very good deal.

Of course! I forgot PSA's setup. That's a REALLY nice place to start with a rifle. Word on the 'web is that they shoot great, as well.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Generally speaking, is it more or less expensive to build instead of buying?
Stripped Lowers are cheap and easy to build.

Uppers are cheaper to buy already assembled. The cost for tools required to assemble the barrel, barrel nut, etc of an upper brings the cost to the same amount you'd pay for an already assembled upper.

If you're going budget check out the del-ton "rifle kits" it has everything you need except the stripped lower receiver.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Generally speaking, is it more or less expensive to build instead of buying?

For me it's not so much that you might be able to do it for a few dollars less it's that you can build it configured exactly the way you want. Like soda says it's pretty easy to put together a lower with very basic tools. There are great tutorials on youtube.

All that said, my advice to someone getting into AR's for the first time is to buy (or maybe build) a basic carbine and shoot the hell out of it. Put a couple thousand rounds thru it, take a class or two. Then and only then will you even begin to understand what you really need/want in an AR. Most folks buy all kinds of dodads to hang off their rifle only to realize later that they aren't needed or don't work for them for one reason or the other. A lot of that expensive gear you thought you just "had to have" ends up in boxes once you get more experience. (ask me how I know)

I'm not a Colt fan boy. I own more BCM's and Noveske's than I own Colts. I've owned RRA's and Bushmasters that worked fine for me as well. BUT for a first AR you just absolutely can't go wrong with a Colt 6920 for $ 985.00. If you can find a 6720 for around a grand to me that's even better.

My advice to anyone wanting an AR is to read this thread over at M4Carbine.net BEFORE making your purchase. It will save you a lot of buyers remorse later on down the road.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82739

What Tex said.............

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
I've been looking for a sling to go on my new Springfield "Loaded" M1A. I believe that a quality rifle like this deserves a quality sling. I was looking at the Ching sling, but that would require modifying the stock which I'm not willing to do. In my research I've come across Les Tam slings. Les is located in Hawaii and he has a 5 month waiting list. He custom makes each sling to the customer's height, weight, and rifle type. I was just curious if anyone here had any experience with his work.

Thanks,
Tex

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Check out m14forum.com. They have a wealth of knowledge and experience with the m14 including good sling manufacturers and sources.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I always just used a USGI web sling. Works like a champ. Especially if you have on a shooting jacket and shooting gloves

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
The standard issue type slings tend to slip, I have a leather (CMP) and a synthetic thick leather "like" sling (Turner AWS) on my national match AR and M1 Garand. They don't slip and after a few slow fire legs it's almost cutting through your skin but it doesn't move that is for sure!

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Check out m14forum.com. They have a wealth of knowledge and experience with the m14 including good sling manufacturers and sources.

M14forum is how I found about the Les Tam slings. His slings have a great reputation with the members of that site. I just wanted to see if anyone here was familiar with them.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Well I just got off the phone with Mr. Tam. He's a very nice and knowledgable man, definitly a pleasure to speak to. The waiting list for one of his slings is now one year. I placed my order with him, but I won't have to send him my payment until about a month before he gets ready to make it. I chose to go with a dark brown sling with parkerized frogs. He's going to put NM on it for "National Match", the Army logo, my last name, and the year my sling is made. This sling will become an heirloom I can be proud to pass on to one of my kids.

nugget61

pilot
Question for those in the know - I'm looking at a CZ75 P01 or P06. I don't think they're legal for dealer sale in CA but I shouldn't have any trouble moving there with one... right? And while I'm at it, anyone have an opinion about the gun?