• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Depends on the type of carry you want, really. Gun Nuts Media and a couple other sites have been reviewing a friend of mine's work, and I use his holsters and mag carriers for USPSA. It's (another) blatant plug for my bud, I know, but he does make quality gear. http://www.shibumitactical.blogspot.com/

Get them while you can, though, he's already had to cut back, production-wise, to start training for a...shall we say, 'new job,' and will be completely out of pocket for about 18 months.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Just switched police departments and cities. I carried an H&K USP .40 and a Glock model 22 in my old department but now am looking for a .45 possibly 1911. I used to have an old Charles Daly 1911 and I actually loved that gun. I'm torn between going back and buying a Glock or getting me a .45 (new department furnishes .45 ammo, not .40 so thats a big factor). For those that have experience with both would you recommend a Glock again or a 1911?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Just switched police departments and cities. I carried an H&K USP .40 and a Glock model 22 in my old department but now am looking for a .45 possibly 1911. I used to have an old Charles Daly 1911 and I actually loved that gun. I'm torn between going back and buying a Glock or getting me a .45 (new department furnishes .45 ammo, not .40 so thats a big factor). For those that have experience with both would you recommend a Glock again or a 1911?

I currently own both. I have an Ed Brown Special Forces 1911 and a Glock 21SF. I also own a Glock 19 and have owned Kimber and Colt (Series 70) 1911's. I love 1911's like I love my Garands. My TO weapon for a good part of my enlistment was a 1911. Both times I qualified with it I shot expert (not all that hard with the old KD courses).

All that said the pistol I keep on the night stand is my G21SF. If I ever had to go in harms way I'd choose the 21 first, the 19 second and the 1911 last.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Just switched police departments and cities. I carried an H&K USP .40 and a Glock model 22 in my old department but now am looking for a .45 possibly 1911. For those that have experience with both would you recommend a Glock again or a 1911?

This is going to be your duty gun or are you looking for a recreational/fun/weekend carry gun? I am a huge 1911 fan and have my eye on one of the Kimber Custom Carry II's to keep my others company but I've shot the Glock a great deal thanks to some gov't customer training I had to take before a trip and while I don't want one I have to admit if the primary purpose is defense they're hard to beat. I shot 2500 rounds over four days with zero problems and most magazines intentionally have a dummy round somewhere in them for training and the trainers say they never really clean them.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the responses. This would be my duty weapon that im speaking of. I'm used to a Glock and its higher capacity magazines and have grown comfortable with it over the past 5 years. The guys at my new department like 1911s with 3 to 4 spare magazines, but i think its more for the "the look."

CAMike

None
Contributor

I'm not law enforcement but I own a few Glocks. Glock 30SF's are IMO one of the most accurate and most pleasant shooting in that family. The slide is a bit wider on top but you'll get used to the appearance eventually. I live in CA so 10 rounds is the limit and the G30 fits that requirement exactly. I have an RIA Tactical Compact that I thought I would be adding to my permit but after a couple of hundred rounds I decided to add the G30. To me- the G21 and G36 feel about the same to shoot and of course you already know about their reliability and ease of use.

exNavyOffRec

I know many in LE and years ago I was with an SO, it seems like the guys I know are switching from Glock to S&W M&P with .40 or .45 I myself seem to like the feel of the XD/XDM.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I have a G21SF with the 1913 rail and ambi mag release. I would highly recommend this weapon for duty carry, minus the ambi mag release. Go with the standard mag release. It is much smoother and positive---the ambi requires more force and is notchy. You're used to the Glock, they're durable and reliable as f*^k, and the 21 has almost double the magazine capacity of the 1911.

FlyinRock

Just some thoughts..... High capacity magazines will allow you to miss more often? If a gunfight requires enough ammo to start the Gulf War all over again, you are in a bad place without a Marine squad as backup. If you are intending to prepare for a firefight, you need at least three people armed with squad weapons, extra ammo or a combat load out, hopefully a medic taggin along.
On the practical note, ANY pistol you have practiced with and are proficient with should do the job with one or possibly two magazines. Past that and you are looking at a prolonged firefight and you'll be at a disadvantage.
I'm old school and love the 1911 and am VERY proficient with it all the way out to 200 yards. Not braggin, just stating facts. The gun is only part of the equation.
Semper Fi

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Just some thoughts..... High capacity magazines will allow you to miss more often? If a gunfight requires enough ammo to start the Gulf War all over again, you are in a bad place without a Marine squad as backup... The gun is only part of the equation.
Semper Fi

Ding Ding Ding,

How many people talk up their particular carry weapon, tons of ammo capacity, extra mags, etc. And then dont actually go shoot it on a regular basis? You would be surprised. Most actual self defense shootings dont involve that many rounds. Your practice with that weapon, in a realistic scenario is what really counts. And I'm not talking about standing static at a range shooting rounds through the x, put in your CCW holster with normal clothes on, then draw and shoot. How about draw as you are turning to shoot something not directly in front of you.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Any M1 Garand experts here? If so, please give me your thoughts on this rifle that I came across at a local pawn shop today.

12bbc16b.jpg

593e7bf9.jpg

aca9812e.jpg

cff54d12.jpg

If my research is correct this rifle was manufactured in August of '43. I know that M1's regularly used the rifle grenade during the war, but I don't know how common they are to find now. I know it's missing a part of the grenade elevation sight on the side, but I don't know what it would look like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MasterBates

It has a milled vice stamped trigger guard (I prefer milled, all 3 of mine have it) but the safety looks different than any of my M1s

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Tex I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you are looking at a mutt of the first order. Unless the sale price is very low I'd stay away from it. There are plenty of documented CMP weapons out there for reasonable dollars ($600.00 to $800.00) I just bought a very nice late Springfield 7.62 (not Navy but converted by a trusted smith) Garand for $600 bucks.

That said you need a lot more info to decide on this weapon for sure. Heat treat numbers off parts, (and like MB says stamped vs milled parts) barrel dates and mfg, throat and muzzle measurements etc. One of the best ways to get info is to go to the "source". Check out the CMP forums at http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7 Lots of real experts over there.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Thanks for the help guys. I passed on this Garand. They were asking $1000 for it. Someone had fired it - there was fouling in the barrel - but I have no idea how well it would run. From my research I was able to find out that someone had cut the barrel down to 18" on this one in an attempt to make a "tanker's" Garand.

This pawn shop has kind of a hodge podge of firearms. They've got pistols ranging from cheap used Hi-Points to brand new HK's, and rifles ranging from $300 AK's to NIB Springfield M1a's.