• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
anyone looking to build an AR-10, i saw on White Oaks Armament under "web specials" they had a single AR-10 upper reciever selling for 150. Probably snag a DPMS lower for 175 elsewhere on the net. Anyway just spotted it and thought someone might be interested

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Rock Island does the bobbed hammer and beavertail so theres no hammer bite. They have 2 different sights you can get. Either the standard GI issue sights or their tactical model comes with 3-dot adjustables. I got the Compact model with GI sights and they are very accurate. I added some color to the front blade with some glow paint and use it as my daily CCW.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I have an American Classic II
AmericanClassic45007-1.jpg

( http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1113334 )
It's very similar to the RIA 1911's by all accounts, and some say a little better quality. I think either one is a safe bet, although you will always be rolling the dice a little bit by purchasing one of these Filipino-made pistols. The beavertail is nice, as are the Novak-style sights. Mine took ~50 rounds to function reliably, and the front sight is very very slightly canted to the right. It's more of an annoyance than anything. However, the trigger just recently developed a problem where the hammer is dropping after a slight delay or not at all if I put too much pressure on the bottom half. I wouldn't think to use it as a carry gun or for HD even after a trip to the 'smith.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
schoolbubba said:
The MK III lived up to its reputation as a fun, accurate as hell, easy to shoot, reliable plinker. We had a blast with it. Besides the magazine feed issues, it ran through everything as fast as we could pull the sweeeeeeeeeet trigger. Good gun, great value, not going to sell this one in a million years. The grip angle and slim profile made it easy for Devilwoman to shoot, and I like that everything is in the exact same place as it is on a 1911. Best part: 500 rounds through it cost me less than 20 bucks. It's relatively heavy, but well balanced. Recoil on a 22 is obviously minimal, and the weight and balance helped me punch a quarter size hole in the target at 10 yards all day. Fun fun fun. The wifey liked it a lot. She did ask me if it was a pussy gun, and I said no, dear. It's a training gun.

I went back and read through the couple of posts about the MK III and figured I'd ask a few questions. One of the local ranges here has a .22 Steel Challenge every month and most of the people shoot pistols there. The one time I went, I brought my .22 Carbine and had a blast, but it got me thinking about a MK III. There's been plenty of other things I've spent my money on, so I never followed through, but I had been eying MK IIIs online over time. Meanwhile, my girlfriend has continued to shoot her XD9 but gets frustrated with not being accurate. I'm convinced this is a fundamentals thing and I've mentioned that she needs to shoot a .22 handgun to get better at the basics. She's pretty competitive with herself and wants to get better at shooting and when I mentioned that a local sporting goods store had MK IIIs for $270 for a few days, she kind of perked up.

So, that said, looks like they're selling (or if I went with Bud's, Bud's is selling) a 10/45 MK III with a 5.5" barrel. I'm guessing this is what you picked up, right schoolbubba? Or something close? I take it the grip matches that of a .45. How big are your wife's hands? I can't use my .45 as a way to test her grip because it's sporting a Hogue grip. She's fits comfortable with the XD, only slightly less comfortable with a G19 (but I think it's negligible) and didn't fit a M&P. Is the weight manageable for a new, female shooter?

We may go brave the Black Friday traffic and have a look at it here in a few, but figured I'd ask here, as well.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
My wife is 5'0 and weighs around 105. She has tiny carny hands. She shoots my LC9, but doesn't like the bite. She's shot my G22, but doesn't like the bark. She loves the 22 because it's whisper quiet, doesn't kick, and is accurate. It's not light, but it isn't unmanageable either.

I'm looking into picking up a CZ75 when I get back so I'll have an all metal 9mm....we'll see if she'll shoot it. I'm pretty sure mine is the 22/45 with the 5.5 bull barrel. Only complaint I have is it's a bitch to clean, but once you do it a few times you figure out the tricks. Watch a youtube video of how to clean it...the owner's manual is lacking in the tips and tricks you need to master to get it to go back together and pass a function check. I've had a few FTFs with it, but I was running nasty Armscor thru it. Pay the extra .5 cent per round and get something like CCIs and it'll run fine.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just got back from fondling it. She liked the grip and was wondering about the barrel weight. Both the salesman and I were telling her that was a good thing for the (small) muzzle flip. I think she liked it.

Thanks for the feedback, sb.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I tell you what, my next handgun is a Walther PPQ. IMO, fantastic weapon..great trigger. Just bought a Walther PK380 as well. Fun shooter, light, easy for wife to use.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I tell you what, my next handgun is a Walther PPQ. IMO, fantastic weapon..great trigger. Just bought a Walther PK380 as well. Fun shooter, light, easy for wife to use.

That PPQ looks like a striker-fired P30 with a better trigger. I'd definitely pick one up before a P30 these days.

borednstoked

For what it's worth, I Haven't fired any new models but I have an XD40, and my dad, a cop, has several different HK's and Ruger .45's that I've had at the range quite a bit in the PD. I've also fired a sig a few times. I'll admit I'm more fond of the HK USP my dad has but my friend, also a cop, swears by the Kimber .45 1911 he has. He does some shooting competitions and has done very well.

John Ritenour

CheckUr6
I just acquired a Smith & Wesson Compact 357 SIG. The link that follows takes you to their (S&W's) Page that describes the pistol in greater detail. 357 SIG.jpg

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57956_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

The suggested retail price of a new model is : $727.00 However, I found a really good deal on a used model.
357.jpg

http://www.kygunco.com/products2.cf...wesson-mp-compact-police-trade-in-357-sig40sw

Kentucky Gun Company is offering 357 SIG in either compact or full sized for $419.00 These pistols are police trade ins. Some (like the one I purchased) have never been issued. For my $$, I received:
A Smith & Wesson 357 SIG Compact, three compact (10 round) magazines, and a conversion barrel that allows you to convert the pistol to 40 caliber. The pistol also came equipped with Meprolight (r) trituium Night sights. All in all - this was an excellent buy. the 357 is a real screamer, and posses excellent takedown/knockdown power. As previously mentioned, if you don't like 357 SIG, you can convert it over to 40 Smith & Wesson by swapping out the barrel. You use the same magazines in either caliber.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
CDNN has .357 Sig M&P's on sale for the next few days for about $429-ish (my daughter deleted the email, so I'm not exactly sure). I think Bud's (the storefront version here in Lexington) had been running a special on them as well. I'd be surprised if their online price was very different.

Caliber conversions are easily doable for several makes/models of pistols. Sig's same gun, same magazine, different barrel for .40 and .357 Sig comes to mind. I recently converted my G22 to 9mm, and it's working well in USPSA production for me.

John Ritenour

CheckUr6
CDNN has .357 Sig M&P's on sale for the next few days for about $429-ish (my daughter deleted the email, so I'm not exactly sure). I think Bud's (the storefront version here in Lexington) had been running a special on them as well. I'd be surprised if their online price was very different.

Caliber conversions are easily doable for several makes/models of pistols. Sig's same gun, same magazine, different barrel for .40 and .357 Sig comes to mind. I recently converted my G22 to 9mm, and it's working well in USPSA production for me.

John Ritenour

CheckUr6
Thank you for the reply. What caliber is a Glock 22? I have an old G17 and a G21 (45) - but I don't know all of the models quite so well. I am curious - were/are you a airedale?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Just went to the local petting zoo gun shop and left with a Walther P99. Does anyone have suggestions on holsters? I'm planning on using it for my primary IDPA gun, but it's small enough to make a decent CCW gun as well. I'll update with a range report when I get a chance.