• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't think you can just bolt on a 308 upper. A 6.8 or 6.5 or 300 BLK yes but not a 308/7.62. A 308 round needs a bigger mag well and bolt/bolt carrier at a min.

There is a huge amount of info on the web ref 6.8 SPC vs 6.5 so I'll let you wade thru that (I did and I chose 6.8 but what you choose depends on how you want to use it. I love my 6.8 SPC ARs. IMHO it is the round that makes the AR platform just right. I know a bit about this round and can maybe help if you go this way. With the 6.5 not so much) Both 6.8 and 6.5 need just a different barrel, bolt (same 5.56 carrier works) and mags. Anyone's lower is good to go. The 300 BLK is a hot item now especially for the supressor crowd (people are using it to make "major" too). It uses a necked up 5.56 case so all you need is a new barrel. 5.56 mags and bolt don't need to be changed. I feel like it's kind of a speciality round though.

If you really want a 308 and you do the research my guess is you'll probably end up with either a Larue (I think they make 2 models but the PredatAR 7.62 seems to be hot now) or an LMT MWS. I have zero personal experience with any of them but both companies put primo stuff out of course. LMT's MWS just won a British contract for their designated rifleman needs. Knights makes one as do others including DPMS of all people. The bad news is there is no where near the parts interchangability with the 308 platforms as there is with the 5.56 so choose well.....

Rocketman obviously has the knowledge and experience here...something I try and tap into when I can. I actually was looking at .308 recently as well and in my limited research, you need to figure out if you want to go w/ a DPMS standard or the...I can't remember, but it's obvious when you research. I was actually looking at Rainier Arms custom shop, which looked to be a somewhat good price point (with known quality). The Larue OBR was also worth looking at, though pricey...even more so than a normal .308. Rocketman mentions the Knight's SR-25. Again, pricey, but I've had a couple of SEAL's pile into my helo with those, so they're pretty legit.

I looked at the 300 BLK and it seems pretty sweet (a 7.62 x 39-ish round that works with AR parts and precision). Maybe when/if I go suppressed at some point when I move back to a friendly state...and when ammo becomes available.

I ended up going with 5.56 and a SPR-ish type to learn precision shooting on. Maybe .308 (or 6.8) will be in my future.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Thinking about buying an XDM .40 for my first gun. I don't know of a lot of times I'll conceal, so I don't really need anything that compact. I went to a range and rented a Glock 23, the XDM, and a Sig...the XDM just felt the best to me, and my groups were a lot tighter. Anyone want to try and talk me out of it, or into something better for a first gun?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
My buddy has an XDM and he loves it. I've fired it and while it doesn't fit my hand all that well it sure seemed to be a quality weapon.

Go Apps

ryan1234

Ok, so my case of black rifle disease is flaring up again and I'm feeling the need to scratch it. I'm considering purchasing a new upper in .308. I currently have a Spike's Tactical mid length carbine which comes standard with the H2 buffer. Would any modifications to my lower be necessary or can I just bolt a .308 upper on and go?

You'll definitely need a .308 lower for a .308 upper. Also, not all .308 uppers will fit all .308 lowers. You can mostly break it up into DPMS and Armalite lower/upper types. 308 lowers are kind of a different beast, as mentioned above there aren't any "mil-spec" parts technically... so tolerances can vary. DPMS style lowers will generally offer the best 'variety' of options for uppers. The DPMS lower uses different size take down pins ( the mag well is bigger, so that corresponding part of the take down area is bigger) and bolt catch, but are generally the same. There are some differences in the buffer tube/spring assembly as well. Tactical Machining in Deland, FL sells .308 DPMS style lowers for around $250... just picked one up and it seems to be good quality, but I haven't put anything on it yet. They offer a 15% military discount also.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
^What he said.

You cannot bolt a .308 upper onto an AR-15 lower. The magazine well alone will not accommodate the AR-10 or SR-25 type magazines. Not only that, but several different manufacturers of AR-10 style rifles use proprietary means to ensure that you use their parts (think Colt's big pin guns, only with magazines and other things).

What you CAN do, though, is bolt damn near everything else under the sun onto an AR-15 lower. 5.45...6.8...5.7 (AR57 makes a $700 conversion upper kit that comes with the upper, bolt and buffer assembly, but no P90 magazine). Lots and lots of options to move into other calibers, but there are expenses associated with them all, some more than others.

For a pure 7.62x51 NATO AR pattern rifle though, I would personally consider the aforementioned KAC SR25 and LaRue OBR, along with LMT if you're looking to SASS it up a bit. I think HK makes a 7.62 gun, but if you thought the others were expensive, look out. (Although my pricing info could be dated a bit, as I haven't checked in a while.) A year or two ago, the Brits bought the LMT gun for what amounts to their DMR. I've shot it once, and it's fucking incredible. The only KAC rifle I've ever fired was a full-auto SBR in 5.56, and the SR25 definitely has rep. Personally, I'm not a fan of DPMS, but plenty of people like them it seems. They do seem to be the used .308 AR that I encounter most frequently, though. Check out www.ultimatereloader.com for some gouge on putting lipstick on that pig.

I've been seeing the XDM pop up a bit more frequently among USPSA production shooters around these parts. There's a little Korean dude who is--pun intended--ninja fast with his reloads on that thing. Can't seem to hit anything but no shoots in competition, but I think it's stress related, as his XDM (9mm, I believe) shoots pretty well for him just on the range and not being timed.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
From what little I know my first stop for a 7.62 would be with LMT. That's based purely on internet commando information though. http://www.lewismachine.net/media/magazines/No More Mouse.pdf I've never even seen one in person but I like how they do things. (like giving you "quick change" barrel capabilities etc. Moot point anyway because I'm so AR rich and money poor right now it's painful. Plus my M1A would pitch a bitch if I bought another 7.62. I'll just have to throw 6.8 mm rounds if I need something bigger than 5.56

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I was going to buy an XD40 full size as my first pistol, but then held an HK P30... that's a whole 'nother story though. I shot the XD very well and it seemed to fit my hands pretty nicely. Preferred it to a Glock 22. I don't like the grips on the XDM as much as the XD, but that's personal preference. Match barrel, 19 stacked... how can you go wrong? It's a fine pistol but I feel like they're getting a bit overpriced these days. Also, I hear its really difficult to put that last round or two in the mag, and if you're going to CCW AT ALL, I'd advise getting a smaller weapon. The 3.8 XDM is retarded for concealing because the grip is the same size (huge), making it tougher to hide than something designed for carry, like a P2000sk

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Yeah I'm going to get the 4.5"

Then I'll get my CCW and have an excuse to buy a sub-compact. After all, I'm told they're pack animals.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Walther PPQ anyone? Great reviews and I held one today, ergonomics were outstanding. Just bought a Walther PK380 for the wife/daughter then comes this PPQ, wow. I'd trade my XDc45 for it, just to have all 9mm. Looks like www.jetguns.com has it for $489 shipped.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
A friend and his wife use the PPQ as their go to IWB carry gun during the summer months. I haven't had a chance to shoot one, but you're right (IMO) about the ergonomics.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Figured I'd post this in this thread...

Does anyone have any experience with the Camp Pendleton gun shop? I've been doing some Googling, and it looks like their selection can be hit and miss, along with their prices. However, if something as common as a G17 were for sale there, the lack of tax may make it worth it.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Not really, other than perusing the stock while there TAD a few years ago. I have, however, purchased several times from the Lejeune MCX. Provided you're not an asshole to them, my experience with the MCX gun store folks has been nothing short of awesome. The folks at Lejeune--can't really speak for Pendleton--will special order damn near anything for you if you ask politely, and I've gotten some decent deals this way. A close friend of mine special ordered an FN SPR from them and got a pretty rockin' deal. I think he had to sweeten the deal for the sales guy a bit by agreeing to by the Leupold he glassed it with from them, but it was also relatively deeply discounted.

Ric

Any Rock Island Armory 1911 owners out there that can comment on if your hand gets bit by the hammer and if the sights are usable as they come new out of the box?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Any Rock Island Armory 1911 owners out there that can comment on if your hand gets bit by the hammer and if the sights are usable as they come new out of the box?

I don't have any personal experience with RIA 1911's and not a whole lot of 1911 experience in general. That said the interwebs seem to report that they are a good gun for the money and a good base gun to customize from. Hammer bite isn't that uncommon in 1911's. Does yours have a beaver tail? If not you might want to add one. That and a good set of aftermarket sights might go a long way. My only experience with 1911's has been with issued Marine Corps 1911's (never got bit but I have smallish hands) a Kimber that 1st Lt Rocketman swiped and my Ed Brown which never seems to get out of my safe.

Hopefull someone will come along and be more helpful

Reactions: Ric