• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

RyanF

unimportant
+1 on what Slammer said. A brand new Ruger Mk III semi-auto pistol with adjustable sights and a bull barrel is well within your current budget. It's just as much fun to go shooting with a $2.00 box of ammo as it is to go shooting with a $20.00 box.

V/R, Spike

I agree, they are very fun to shoot and the ammo is dirt cheap! A Mk III will definitely be my first handgun once I get more money and get tired of the SKS.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
Idon't think anyone will knock you for getting something made by Taurus for a little over $300 like a pt92, 111, 24/7, pt1911($499). Keep in mind the recoil is in the round/weapon weight ratio.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Buy a 6.8 SPC upper for your AR. That and a few mags. It's not a cheap plinking round but you have 5.56 for that.

I love my 6.8's. All 3 of them. (16" Lite Weight, 16" Med Weight and 18")

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Any suggestions?
gun.jpg

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Well, what what would you be using this gun for? Target shooting? Home defense? Concealed carry? The mission defines the equipment. My first gun was a Springfield XD Tactical in .45 ACP. I bought the gun mainly for home defense; but you won't catch me trying to use it for concealed carry unless it's 30 below outside.
I love that gun.

For CCW I'd recommend the Glock 19.

When shopping for pistols, I'd recommend looking at function first and price second. It's not the kind of thing you want to go wrong at a critical moment.

GroundPounder

Have you considered a Kimber .45, in the SIS family? If you go for the Sig, I know that they have law enforcement discounts, not sure if they also offer anything for military.

GroundPounder

If you go the .22 route, check the Walther P22, they shoud be a little over you $300.00 figure. Like others have said, you can do a lot of shooting with the .22 for a reasonable amount of money.

I'd try and go somewhere that you can fire as many handguns as you can to see what fits you best, and go with what feels best to you.

Be careful though, guns are like Lays, you can't just have one.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Idon't think anyone will knock you for getting something made by Taurus for a little over $300 like a pt92, 111, 24/7, pt1911($499). Keep in mind the recoil is in the round/weapon weight ratio.

I will, without reserve. I dont like Taurus one bit. They are poorly made guns in my opinion and a picky when it comes to ammo.

Some have said a .22LR is a good starter gun. I would agree, the sig posted above in .22lr is a nice looking gun that would be cheap to shoot. Also consider a Walther. I am in the market for a .22 Walther right now myself.

The two guns mentioned above are good alternatives to the Ruger MK III if you dont like the look of the Ruger. That said the Ruger is a good gun, and fun as hell to shoot as well.

If you opt for something bigger than .22LR consider a .40 S&W Glock, Springfield XD, HK USP, etc. but expect to spend more for them. Im not a huge Glock fan, but some people like them and they are pretty cheap. HK is my favorite flavor but they certainly dont give them away. XDs are common and a good middle ground between expensive HKs and the cheaper Glocks.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Although if you are going to go for an XD, I'd recommend at least trying out the new XDM. They're supposedly quite a bit better than the original XD. They're out in .40 and 9mm, and I'm sure a .45 will be released soon.

Definitely try before you buy. It's an important decision.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You have a Garand, right? It's probably lonely without its younger cousin...

Grunts goin' downtown on somebody w/ an M1 and Sherman @ Bougainville, March 1944 ... if you look closely, you can see a spent cartridge case flying in front of the GI's helmet ... I think the Americal Division is represented in the pix. :)

world-war-2.jpg

But Naaaaaah .... I'm pretty sure THIS would be considered it's "younger cousin":

m1_carbine.jpg

THIS would be it's "younger step-son": :)

Spring_M1A.jpg

USNMark

If you buy one of these, not only will I be your best best best friend ever, but I could also be your prime suspect in a possible firearms robbery...

spr_aa9122.jpg