• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

matthewARCH

Looking at the Walther PK380 for Mrs. Pickle for CC in Florida (for those of you familiar with our recent familial issues, it isn't an issue, my S&W .357 was loaded and not used) I like the fact that itis ambidextrous (she is one of those crazy left-handers) and the safety reminds me of the Berretta 9mm we use for qual's. I am worried about some of the reviews regarding jamming and FTF's, however they seem to be ammo specific. Anyone have any experience with this handgun? I know Bunk bought one for his wife/daughter last year, just want the inputs from the herd before we drop about $350 on a handgun.
Pickle

I got a Walther PK 380 for a CCW, back in November of last year. I've only shot it a few times, probably shot about 200-300 rounds through it so far. I haven't had it jam yet, but it hasn't been put under a lot of stress either. Also, I clean it very well... even if its just been sitting a while. It's a nice little gun, easy to carry and pretty easy to shoot. It's not too loud when it goes off, much like a whsiper compared to that .357.

The only problem I do have with it, is that the sights are not adjustable, and it has tendency to shoot low.. even from relatively close distances, like 25 Ft. My father tested it out for me one day while we were at the range, and it was shooting low for him also. He's Retired Air Force MP/special investigations, and was required to practice shooting a lot. Oh, and shells are really expensive for .380... They run about 15-20$ for 50 for low end shells. My hollow-points were about a dollar a piece. I'm not 100% but i think 45 shells and 9mm shells are a bit less expensive.

exNavyOffRec

Oh, and shells are really expensive for .380... They run about 15-20$ for 50 for low end shells. My hollow-points were about a dollar a piece. I'm not 100% but i think 45 shells and 9mm shells are a bit less expensive.

20 bucks is low for shells, the places that I shoot charge nearly 30 bucks for 50 rounds of .40 or .45

matthewARCH

20 bucks is low for shells, the places that I shoot charge nearly 30 bucks for 50 rounds of .40 or .45

.45's are cheaper here... I'm originally from Las Vegas, and everything is more expensive there. Shells were about 25$, here they're about $20. 45's are cheaper than that still, I think 15 dollars. This was my last trip to wal-mart. perhaps they had a special of some kind.

exNavyOffRec

.45's are cheaper here... I'm originally from Las Vegas, and everything is more expensive there. Shells were about 25$, here they're about $20. 45's are cheaper than that still, I think 15 dollars. This was my last trip to wal-mart. perhaps they had a special of some kind.

wow that is cheap, can't even get reloads for that cheap, even walmart here can't touch .45 for less than around 25 bucks a box

matthewARCH

Yeah. I'm getting used to it myself. Certain things are the same price, like Gas Milk... ect.. but ammo is less expensive, cigarettes are WAY cheaper here... I think they're around 4 dollars a pack, in Las Vegas they were almost 7... Not that I'm advocating smoking but this would be a much cheaper place to pick up the habbit.

I got some drawing notebooks out here for about 4 dollars a piece, and they retail for around 16 dollars back in Las Vegas, so its a nice change.

What kind of .45 do you own? There's a nice colt .45 at the pawn shop down the street here. It's all metal which is nice, Polymer weapons feel awkward to me, unless the clips are fully loaded... they feel top heavy. I was thinking of picking it up, they want 600 for it, but I'm sure I could talk them down if I paid cash. Suggestions on that?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
wow that is cheap, can't even get reloads for that cheap, even walmart here can't touch .45 for less than around 25 bucks a box

For 50? Yikes. I've found the difference in price of WWB .45 at the Walmarts in FL and CA to be within a $1 of each other (~$36/100). Surprsing since everything else is so damn expensive here in CA.

Last time I looked, I could still get quality 9mm cheaper online (barely), but Walmart always seemed to be the best for good .45 practice ammo.

exNavyOffRec

For 50? Yikes. I've found the difference in price of WWB .45 at the Walmarts in FL and CA to be within a $1 of each other (~$36/100). Surprsing since everything else is so damn expensive here in CA.

Last time I looked, I could still get quality 9mm cheaper online (barely), but Walmart always seemed to be the best for good .45 practice ammo.

I was just out and found the best deal is 250 rounds for 120.00, that is sale price.

The best deals are still the gun shows.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was just out and found the best deal is 250 rounds for 120.00, that is sale price.

The best deals are still the gun shows.

Ouch. Not here, except maybe surplus stuff, which I haven't had a need for the last time I went. I can't remember if you've ever said where you are, but that's painful.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've been putting this off/mulling on this for months now, in large part because of how the price of .308 has been going up, but I'm trying to figure out which way to go for a nice precision distance gun. I just got a notice that Magpul is coming back into town next year and doing the distance courses they did here last year and it got me interested in persuing this again. I'm not sure I could actually get everything turned around in time for the PR1 class, but it's still rekindled the interest.
I'm trying to figure out which way is the "better" way to go, either a SPECIFIC bolt or gas gun in .308. First up, yes, I understand that a bolt will be inherently more accurate than an AR, but let's move past that. The AR I'm looking at is plenty accurate out of the box (GAP-10). Gun would be used for target shooting (paper and/or steel) for now (I hate shooting for groups) and depending on where I move next, maybe some tactical competitions, but I need to learn more about that. I'd love to grow into it. I'm sure it will eventually wear a can, but that's a ways off. I've held off on a .308 gun because getting easy access to the distances where it is needed is harder than with a .223 gun. It's tough to stretch the legs of my SPR-ish gun as it is.

So here's what I'm thinking:

Rem 700 5R in 20" and picking up an AICS stock and having someone swap it out.

or

GAP-10 in 20"

So far I've come up with the following Pros and Cons:

R700 Pros:
Still a sub-MOA to MOA out of the box. Probably better after the new stock.
Less expensive option than a comprable gas gun
I can learn another type of gun (don't have much bolt gun experience)

Cons:
I don't know crap about bolt guns, especially when introducing things like AI mags, length of (factory) ammo and feeding, etc.

GAP Pros:
I'm more familiar with shooting an AR style gun, even in the precision realm
Still wicked accurate before the shooter enters the equation (sub-MOA)
DPMS form factor for mags

Cons:
Expensive
Heavy (although that might not be too big a deal...depends on where you shoot)
Longer wait to obtain (not a huge deal)

Glass would probably be the same, either way I went (Razor HD or a NF 3-15).

I've scoured Google while thinking about this. I'm torn either way for the reasons above. Thoughts?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I'd go with the GAP. I'm waiting until I move out of Cali before I get some kind of AR platform. Hopefully they are still available.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Just bought a sub-compact Kel-Tec PF9 and already put 300 rounds through it without issue. I read they can be hit and miss in terms of reliability. It hurts the hand to shoot for a while for sure but very easy to conceal. I bought 2 eight round magazines that should help with the grip area. I carry HST 147gr JHP as Federal says the round opens at lower velocity so good for short barrels. The PF9 has a 3.1" barrel. Otherwise I use Speer Gold Dot 124+p for my other 9mm.

photo5-1_zpsb9fcb632.jpg