• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice for cats and allergies!

SansTimor

Hello! New poster, glad to join the community here, looks like a great place! Came here with a purpose however, hoping someone with experience in this sort of situation could help me.

A bit about me: New SNA in the beginnings of primary at Whiting Field, have yet to even have my first flight! Pressure's on for sure. But that's not what's bothering me. What's bothering me is that in september I will have my girlfriend move down from Virginia into my apartment. She's a great woman and I'm really looking forward to it... however... she only comes as a package deal, wherein lies the issue. She's bringing her cat. A cat she's had since she was in middle school and comforted her through all the rough times, one she can't live without and no one will take in. An obese ball of hate-filled fur that's nice and friendly to her and her only. While that's fine and dandy, as I don't even like cats, there's an unavoidable downside to it's presence in that I am allergic to cats.

As one might suspect I have no clue how to go about handling this. I've lived with a cat before with minimal issue but it stayed mostly outside and my room was upstairs away from where they would linger, I didn't go around them much aside from feeding and an occasional petting. Even then it would water my eyes and stuff me up a bit. So I was wondering if anyone here had and advice/experience with dealing with cat allergies or if there are any preventative measures that are flight friendly.

I'm a little extra worried as the time when she will be moving in is my projected time of my first check ride and solo. I'd hate to attrite at all, much less due to a cat.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
With enough soy sauce and wasabi, any problem can be fixed...does one pussy justify the second? That is the question you must answer, my friend...
Pickle

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Came here with a purpose however, hoping someone with experience in this sort of situation could help me.
As a Cat lover, and former Breeder/Shower of Scottish Fold cats, I'm qualified to respond..
Hugh & Quinn 1991.jpg Hugh & Kittens 1994.jpg
An obese ball of hate-filled fur that's nice and friendly to her and her only. While that's fine and dandy, as I don't even like cats, there's an unavoidable downside to it's presence in that I am allergic to cats.
This is a triple whammy. With you and "Cat from hell" hating each other, you sneezing/tearing constantly, you and GF will live a wretched existence, which will adversely affect your relationship, and flight training. This will test your motivation to wear Navy Wings of Gold.:confused:

Recommend:

1. It's me or Godzilla kitty...:eek:
2. Talk her into giving up the cat to a "no-kill shelter". They take excellent care, and find good homes for them.:)
I'm a little extra worried as the time when she will be moving in is my projected time of my first check ride and solo. I'd hate to attrite at all, much less due to a cat.
No, you do not want to attrite for ANYTHING! You have to make up your mind, tough choice!;)
BzB

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
Talk to your flight surgeon now. Let him know the situation and start trying approved medicines. Go to the local animal sheter/ friends house who has cats, and test them out. Find a solution before she moves to you. Having married a cat lover/owner, its not going anywhere. If that's not a solution move to a house with no carpet. Set up a cat room, preferably a sun room where the cat spends most or all of the time. Get leather/pleather furniture. When the gf is not in the kitchen, make sure she is cleaning (dusting, sweeping, vacuming).

jmcquate

Contributor
Criminal is wise about the wood floors and leather furniture. I had the opposite issue. The cats were mine and my soon to be wife was allergic. The more time she spent around them the better her allergies became. Also, cat puke is much easier the clean on wood than carpet.

brownshoe

Contributor
Cats have no place in Naval Aviation unless proceeded by the words "Grumman" or "Felix".
Criminal is wise about the wood floors and leather furniture. I had the opposite issue. The cats were mine and my soon to be wife was allergic. The more time she spent around them the better her allergies became. Also, cat puke is much easier the clean on wood than carpet.
Huh?

jmcquate

Contributor
Ya.......I'm a cat guy. I respect the way they can say "fuck off" with a look. Also, they're operators..........I watched one of mine stalk a chipmunk for 20 minutes, then kill it just for the fun of it. COLD STONE KILLER. Anyone can chase a tennis ball. And they purr when they are happy.

exNavyOffRec

I am also a former Scottish Fold shower and breeder, the sarcastic side of me would say "get a new girlfriend", or tell her "the cat or me", or "the cats getting old, it will work itself out" but realistically she is attached to the cat and if you do the "its me or the cat" you very well might lose.

In addition to what advice has been said, look for some Honeywell HEPA air filter units, the round ones about 18" tall or so, check craigslist, get a GOOD vacuum cleaner.

I have allergies, not to cats but to many other unavoidable things, many of the allergy meds that used to be prescription now are not so talking to your doc and figuring out what works with the least side effects might be easier to do now.

Like jmcquate I also like the "fuck off" look cats give you, along with the fact if we need to go somewhere for several days just give a cat extra food and water.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
P. S. If the cat allows it, wiping down it's coat thoroughly with a cool, damp washcloth every day, reduces coat allergens by 90%. Much more effective than any commercial medication available. Cats who are "indoors only", are much less a problem to those with cat allergies.;)
BzB

SansTimor

Wow that's a lot more response than I was expecting! Exactly what I was looking for. I'll talk to the flight doc tomorrow. Luckily I already have wooden floors, a good vacuum, and can get a filter. The cat's getting wiped down daily and possibly shaved for the first year whether it likes that or not.

As for the Sack and bricks method.... if only it were so simple :rolleyes:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow that's a lot more response than I was expecting! Exactly what I was looking for. I'll talk to the flight doc tomorrow. Luckily I already have wooden floors, a good vacuum, and can get a filter. The cat's getting wiped down daily and possibly shaved for the first year whether it likes that or not....

There is a joke in there somewhere but due to my recent GMT training I am unable to find it for some reason.....