• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance Timeline Question

unbroken

Naval officer
Greetings,

For those of us who are non-prior or don't hold an active top secret clearance, can we still commission in the 1835 designator before the background check process is complete? Or do we have to wait for that to run its course before swearing in?

Thank you.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Greetings,

For those of us who are non-prior or don't hold an active top secret clearance, can we still commission in the 1835 designator before the background check process is complete? Or do we have to wait for that to run its course before swearing in?

Thank you.
Check the program authorization, but I think there's some sort of provision for stuff like that. Not that you have any reason to doubt the successful completion of your background check, but it can easily take six months, if not a whole year.

unbroken

Naval officer
Yea, just seems kindof weird that they'd start you before clearing you, esp for sensitive jobs. But I think the Navy also runs their own provisional background check? Just trying to get some clarification on how this works. Agree that it would be a hassle to put everyone on hold until this is in, esp with how backlogged OPM is these days.

Also, where exactly would I find the program authorization?

& thanks!

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
"Lift your eyes to that knowledge repository in the sky...", or just google for 'cnrc 1835 program authorization'

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Yea, just seems kindof weird that they'd start you before clearing you, esp for sensitive jobs. But I think the Navy also runs their own provisional background check? Just trying to get some clarification on how this works. Agree that it would be a hassle to put everyone on hold until this is in, esp with how backlogged OPM is these days.

Also, where exactly would I find the program authorization?

& thanks!
You can wait outside the SCIF until your clearance comes through.

number9

Contributor
I have a question and I don't know whom to ask about it.

If I have dual citizenship and a TS clearance and then have a child, can I apply for that dual citizenship for my child? Will this be a problem for me the next time my clearance is reviewed and I note the child as a dependent?

number9

Contributor
If no one answers here, recommend searching/asking the "security clearance" reddit thread...
That was going to be my next step. I searched over there and didn't find anything dealing with this particular situation, which doesn't surprise me. But if no one here knows, I'll post there.

My guess is the answer is "No it's not a good idea, because it falls under the guise of exercising a benefit of foreign citizenship" or something like that.

exNavyOffRec

I have a question and I don't know whom to ask about it.

If I have dual citizenship and a TS clearance and then have a child, can I apply for that dual citizenship for my child? Will this be a problem for me the next time my clearance is reviewed and I note the child as a dependent?
They may ask you to give up your dual citizenship prior to swearing in.