• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance: previous financial issues?

Calcutta126

Gay guitar pickers don't turn me on
I have read that financial instability is the leading cause of security clearances to be turned down. I will be trying in the near future for a pilot contract for USMC OCC. I had a Ch. 7 bankruptcy 2 years ago. Since then, I have made all student loan payments on time and all of my bills on time. My credit score is about 650 now and I’ve NEVER made a late payment on my mortgage, even through the bankruptcy proceedings, and I still have my home and make all my payments on time. I have been fiscally responsible since the bankruptcy because I learned from it. I have read other posts about people being fiscally irresponsible and how they are trying to get a contract, but I have taken steps to improve my situation, where as the other posts were people in the situation asking for advice on how to get out. With my mediocre credit rating and the previous bankruptcy, do I have a shot at a clearance? And what else could I do to improve my situation more than I already have? Thanks in advance

bob88899

As long as you get yourself back ontrack you have a shot, i wouldnt worry too much about it if you taken care of your problems... they are looking to weed out people who can not be finacially responsible, and it looks like you learned from it and back on track... just be ready to explain yourself, what you have learned, and dont get back back into trouble

Calcutta126

I will definitely explain myself and what I've learned given the opportunity. Does the security clearance paperwork include a personal statement?

navy09

None
I think the first hurdle would be getting picked up. Definitely something to ask a recruiter about.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Biggest thing with ANY red flags for a clearance are TIME and REFORM, whether it's drugs (waiverable ones), mental issues, medical issues, and financial burden issues.

Obviously, 7 years is plenty of time to prove a good track record since your fuckup, and along with showing tangible proof, you can write a letter of explanation as to how you have changed and why finances are no longer a burden or issue for you. So it sounds like both time and reform are on your side, so just explain, apply and hope for the best. Leave nothing to chance.

Calcutta126

Thanks for the advice. It seems I am concentrating on the wrong thing at the wrong time, I was just trying to get my s*** squared away before applying so nothing pops up. Next stop, Officer Selection Station to get the ball rolling...