• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance Expectations

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
I'm in the process of filling out my paperwork for a TS security clearance and I was just wondering what I am supposed to tell my references to expect? I asked my recruiter but she only said, "they usually call before setting up an interview, but I don't know for sure". I only ask because when I tell my references that I'm using them on my application they give me this blank stare and ask what that means. Normally I just say that they will probably be getting a call from the government asking a few questions about me, but I was hoping to be able to give them a more detailed explanation. If this has been asked before I apologized but when I searched I couldn't find anything.

phrogpilot73

Just tell them that men will come in black suits, and when they're done - they'll look into the light.

I've been interviewed before, so tell them that they're going to want to interview them (either on the phone or in person) about your history with regards to drugs, debt, drinking and character, and are probably going to also ask them who else they know that might know you (they go beyond just the references you list).

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I'm in the process of filling out my paperwork for a TS security clearance and I was just wondering what I am supposed to tell my references to expect?

A guy showing them their ID when they show up at the door. You'll only be a Secret clearance out of ROTC though...so it's pretty painless.

~D

Achilles

pilot
Well I'm applying for OCS, I was orginally going to apply for NA, NFO, and Intel so that's how my recruiter set up the security clearance. I've since changed my mind to only apply for NA and NFO but she said that she was unable to change the "application" back to just Secret. So I don't know if they're going to do the whole ordeal for TS or just settle for S.

Mattatron

Now with extra pork!
pilot
I was the one dumb enough to list ex-girlfriends as "people who know me" not knowing they would actually interview them. Not a good idea.

I have been interviewed for a few different ones for friends and it ranges from short and painless, to long and probing. If you ask your friends to know off hand how long they have known you, when you met and some quick facts (good ones only) about you, they should be alright. All in all its nothing bad, just make sure your friends know the FBI might be calling them, it tends to freak people out when they get caught off guard.

Nose

pilot
Pretty sure it's not FBI. Either NCIS / DIS/ or a contractor hired by DONCAF.

Nose

pilot
Well I'm applying for OCS, I was orginally going to apply for NA, NFO, and Intel so that's how my recruiter set up the security clearance. I've since changed my mind to only apply for NA and NFO but she said that she was unable to change the "application" back to just Secret. So I don't know if they're going to do the whole ordeal for TS or just settle for S.

If you are going aviation, you will probably need TS. But what you are cleared for and the clearance granted don't always match. In other words, they may do an SSBI (or whatever they call it now) which can get you up to TS/SCI, but you won't get a TS/SCI until you need it. In flight school, you will get Secret if you get anything at all. Then depending on your community, you get your final. Has a lot to do with what you fly, where you fly, do you strike plan, etc etc etc.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
I believe all investigations are conducted by OPM and affiliated contractors...

I just had a TS/SCI done for the Reserves and an OPM investigator interviewd me.

MasterBates

Most of my friends that have known me from back home are the hippy/fear the govt/think X-files are real type..

Oh, that WILL be entertaining.

fusu

I believe all investigations are conducted by OPM and affiliated contractors...

I just had a TS/SCI done for the Reserves and an OPM investigator interviewd me.

thats right, I had the federal investigative service (FIS) OPM folks look into me as well.

Mattatron

Now with extra pork!
pilot
I believe all investigations are conducted by OPM and affiliated contractors.

Thats true, OPM does do most of them now. I was giving an example from when I had mine done a few years back and I got an angry call from an Ex whining about why she was getting calls from the FBI asking for an interview. I guess things have changed a little.

Achilles

pilot
Most of my friends that have known me from back home are the hippy/fear the govt/think X-files are real type..

Oh, that WILL be entertaining.

I have a similar problem, luckily most of my college friends aren't that way. I had to leave off a few very good friends because they have a DUI in their history and I didn't figure it'd look that good if I put them as references.

MasterBates

You have to put ex-spouses on there as well.. Oh, to be a fly on the wall when they go there.. I almost forgot about that.

Nose

pilot
I have a similar problem, luckily most of my college friends aren't that way. I had to leave off a few very good friends because they have a DUI in their history and I didn't figure it'd look that good if I put them as references.

Pretty sure that doesn't matter too much. As long as they aren't convicted murderers/rapists. They will ask your refrences and neighbors for other "secondary" refrences - you don't know WHO they will talk to. As long as you aren't in serious debt, a drug dealer, one who "advocates the overthrow of the government by force", thief, etc, you don't really need to sweat the background stuff.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I made the mistake of putting down my High School principal when I was on the Nuke Weapons Load Team. I came home on leave and went to pick-up my sister at the school and ran into him. He told me that some people from the Government were asking him some questions about me. I told him what it was about and he went white as a ghost before yelling "They let YOU around NUCLEAR weapons!!!".

What can I say? I had an affinity for things that went BOOM! (M-80s, ladyfingers, etc.) when I was in High School. He never could catch me.