• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Second thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtmedli

pilot
People always say that you should do what you love, and I have had time to think about this is and I don't think a Navy career would make me happy. Some posters mentioned contacting my recruiter, is there any other sources I could talk to first? I fell that letting my recruiter know about my situation might only worsen it. Thanks again for the help.

I'm pretty sure that's not your choice anymore. Once you contract and swear in then guess what... YOU ARE CONTRACTED AND SWORN IN. You are under a legally binding agreement with the U.S. Navy to become a Pilot (or enlist) and fly their aircraft. Not to mention that it is an honor and there are thousands of people who would give their left nut to be getting paid to go to school so they could go fly planes for a living.

The second question is just insulting. Be a F@&%king man and talk to your OR.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this isn't exactly the place to look for sympathy so don't get your panties in a twist when you get answers you don't like pertaining to the question "How do I quit?".

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I feel that letting my recruiter know about my situation might only worsen it.
I would wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. I understand that you may be nervous or even scared of what your recruiter may think, but at the same time, you owe it to him/her as well.

Recruiters invest A SHITTON of time into those candidates they feel can succeed and will get accepted. My recruiter is phenomenal and he told me outright back in January during our first phone "interview" that if he felt like you don't have a chance or that you will be a shitty naval officer, then he will tell you that so as to not waste his time or yours. He also said that each officer he brings in could possibly be his superior one day. (He's an E-7)

Anyways, my point is this. If I more or less went behind my recruiters back and talked to others and stopped my commitment, he would definitely be disappointed and probably pissed. Not really because I was quitting (although that would be a large part of it) but moreso because I didn't have the balls to come and talk to him about it myself. I know his personality now and I'm 100% sure he'd say that if that was the case.

Your recruiter put alot of time and effort into getting you into BDCP and I'm sure he/she was very happy when you got selected. It's great that your honest with yourself and know that its not for you, but NOT telling your recruiter about it first, would be a stab in the back and would throw the Core Values pretty much out of the window.

Be a F@&%king man and talk to your OR.

Exactly. I second this.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Nice mixing of singular and plural there. Seems as though you're illiterate as well as a quitter. You may want to consult the janitorial staff at your local university for some professional advice, because you're going to be cleaning shitters for 12 hours a day for the first two years of your life after you graduate college, quitter. Yeah, that's much better than flying airplanes off a carrier deck.

Brett
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Well ... at least he can say he's not workin' @ Burger King, yea-as ... ??? :)

navycafeteria1.jpg
Chez Roach .... USN mess deck style ... Bon Appetit !!! :)

Brett, I like that you edited your post to make it even more offensive. You're representing naval aviators very well...

I didn't post here for sympathy, I figured this site has some knowledgeable members and would be a good start in helping me to figure out what course of action I should take.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I just want to say that between Brett and HAL, this thread is epic.

Whatever you do, don't do anything completely ass-fucktarded. One of my friends' friends thought he was brilliant and played the gay card to get out of the Marine Corps. One of his buddies told him he would be honorably discharged. Bad gouge. Not sure what he got, but it wasn't honorable. That shit follows you around.

But at the same time, if you decide to tough it out don't be that guy who hates life his entire commitment and shits all over other people to make himself feel better. At least try to have a positive attitude---the officer corps has its ways of casting out douchebags like that.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Brett, I like that you edited your post to make it even more offensive. You're representing naval aviators very well...

I didn't post here for sympathy, I figured this site has some knowledgeable members and would be a good start in helping me to figure out what course of action I should take.

OK, well let me cut out all the insults and bullshit for you. Here's the bottom line:

You are GOING to serve. No way around it.

1. swab decks and cook food for 2 years before being allowed to get out.
2. fly aircraft for god and country and be a Naval Officer for 8 years after wings. JESUS in this job market, folks would die for that kind of job security!

Bevo16

pilot
There is an option that nobody has brought up yet....

welcome_to_Canada_sign

These guys have been hosting quitters and cowards for decades. You even get free health care!!!

Seriously, you want to quit because of "extensive traveling and overall rigorous military life"? You mean that you don't want a job because it might be hard and force you to break out of your little hole in the world?

How about growing a pair of nuts?

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
I wouldn't let anyone else other than myself guide my future. People always say that you should do what you love, and I have had time to think about this is and I don't think a Navy career would make me happy. I fell that letting my recruiter know about my situation might only worsen it. Thanks again for the help.

In as flame retardant a manner as possible,
First, you did swear an oath, you should really consider very carefully if that's the sort of thing you're willing to start your professional life by breaking.
Secondly, you have all of your life to settle in one place, work corporate America, or self employ. Do you really want to look back at age 30 and say, "Man, I could have done things others only dream of" as you sit at the same desk you look out from for the next 35 years of working life?
Bottom line is, you're probably not getting out of this cleanly. You might be able to fib and have a medical issue or some made up junk, but you really have to consider that weight on your conscious. Though to be honest, if you're willing to do it, then please do. Personally, I did some hard thinking about accepting this commitment, and it'd be a relief to know that deceitful people start weeding themselves out before I even swear in.
Do yourself a favor. Sit down, think long and hard about what you'd gain by staying away, and what irreplaceable things you'll never get to say you did by sticking it out. You've only got to fvck this one thing up to say for the rest of your life "What it?".

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor

People like you piss off aviators who actually stuck through a commitment, and may have made several new commitments along the way.

I was in your shoes once. I was midway through NROTC and hating every second, hating the Navy, and absolutely wanted to get out of it all and be a lazy, McDonald's eating fatbody, like you will become after you quit. After a particularly hellacious PRB, the XO of the unit cornered me and very loudly and publicly reminded me of a phrase in the oath that I had taken (and that you have also taken, in case you forgot):

"...I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion..."

You have already taken the oath. You took it freely, and you SAID THOSE WORDS. That removed any choice you had in the matter. You're in now. You've signed your ass over to Uncle Sam. The fact that you're trying to pussyfoot your way out merits absolutely no sympathy from those of us who made the decision to stay after having your 'second thoughts.' And believe me when I say that those of us who have even HAD those second thoughts are few and far between in this community. Almost everyone who's here worked (or are currently working) their asses to the ground to get here. Quitters get no sympathy whatsoever. So if you're looking for a pity party, look elsewhere.

And as far as Naval Aviators representing themselves? Just ask yourself before you go to bed tonight how safe you'd be if WE (and I'll say we because you obviously aren't going to be included in the WE) weren't around to protect YOU. I think that people like Brett, A4s, rondebmar, HAL_Pilot and so on have earned the right to say pretty much whatever they please. They've been to hell and back for you. Shut up and listen to them.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
I can certainly understand having cold feet before joining the military. It is huge difference from college life. I think many of us were anxious as time came closer to shipping off to OCS. There are a few things I would keep in mind though.

1. The other posters are right. You need to have the mindset that you are stuck with some sort of commitment because you did sign a contract. Don't hang on to a long shot like just paying the money back. That might happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.
2. The civillian job market blows. You have an incredible opportunity to not only build a great resume while developing leadership skills, but also make a steady paycheck while many of your peers are fighting for the scraps of underemployment.
3. Have a positive attitude. This is a great job, not a life sentence. You would be hard pressed to find too many people that wish they never went in. No matter what job you end up doing, you are going to have experiences that no other civillian could understand.
4. I don't know if this is the case, but every person I know that made a professional decision based on a girl or being homesick, has regretted it. I know a guy out of high school that gave up an opportunity at the AF academy to follow a girl only for her to dump him 1st semester. Hell, I almost didn't go to college so that I could keep banging my hillbilly gf in the middle of podunk Indiana. Amazing what the baby batter on the brain does to a man.
5. I would take some time if you have it and do some thinking before talking to your OR. Make sure that you are absolutely sure this just isn't nerves before telling him you don't want in. I also agree you have to go through him and no one else.

Hope things work out.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
I figured this site has some knowledgeable members and would be a good start in helping me to figure out what course of action I should take.

You figured wrong. The knowledge of this site's members is not graciously given out to those who are quitting.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
There were times I had doubts and was extremely homesick at OCS and I think everyone has thought if what they did was right when signing on for 8 years, but the point is that you have to sack up and deal because ultimately you chose to sign on the dotted line. I'm glad I did and I don't know anyone else here who isn't.

No matter how down I got at OCS, I was never going to quit (certainly great lakes wasn't exactly appealing).

The reason you're getting a shitstorm becomes VERY apparent the first week of OCS when the sniveling crybabies DOR when placed under the most superficial and orchestrated of stresses and only after a few DAYS. The early DORs are treated a LOT differently in H/Student Pool than the folks who are getting separated for legitimate reasons. They are lepers. And honestly, I would highly recommend trying to change your deisgnator to get a 4 year contract and serve 4 years honorably as an officer than to DOR at OCS or go straight to bootcamp after graduation, because there is NO honor in that. I mean for God's sake, people were in the Hanoi Hilton for 8+ years. You can't serve 8 years travelling the world, flying the baddest aircraft in the world? I'll never understand people like you (and I mean those who CHOOSE this future, then reject it when things get a little tough)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
.....I figured this site has some knowledgeable members and would be a good start in helping me to figure out what course of action I should take.
You should go to Great Lakes and start your 2 years of active duty in as an enlisted man. You made a commitment you have to fulfill and you obviously really don't have anything of value to contribute to the officer corps.

Either that or blow your boyfriend in front of your recruiter - which would probably be best for both the Navy and you in the long run.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
If you are serious about it quit right now. Man up, accept the consequences, talk to your immediate superior, and get ready for Great Lakes. It is really that simple. That is your out, and to my knowledge it is your only out, so stop trying to find an easy way to break your contract when it doesn't exist.

Your other option is to man up and fulfill your end of the contract, but quite frankly if you are waffling this much now just quit, do your enlisted time, and save everyone the trouble. Realize that you will look back on your decision to give up an SNA slot for your life-sucking 9 to 5 and hate yourself for it. But hey, do what you gotta do, just don't expect anyone to feel sorry for you or make it any easier on you. And that was the flame-free version.

Status
Not open for further replies.