• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SEALs on Trial?

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Again, I find it odd that a group of people who honor the integrity of a mishap investigation so correctly will ignore the same principles when it comes to other types of investigations, like legal ones. None of us here know what happened and we won't until the court martial happened. It could be nothing, maybe some guys trying to cover their ass up the chain. But it could be worse. Who the fuck knows? We sure as hell don't. And to rely on the word of a single news report and a defense attorney is absurd. So get off your high horses and come back to reality.

Well I'll be damned, Flash and I agree on something.

kito

I don't see any functional difference. For all intents and purposes, the SEALs chose to take it to the next level by refusing NJP. The idea that the convening authority "could" have declined is irrelevant and hardly an "important difference." Perhaps you have a different way of looking at it though - do explain.

Brett

It may be a semantic difference, but the resulting discussion's been informative to a know-nothing over here ;).

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Again, I find it odd that a group of people who honor the integrity of a mishap investigation so correctly will ignore the same principles when it comes to other types of investigations, like legal ones. None of us here know what happened and we won't until the court martial happened. It could be nothing, maybe some guys trying to cover their ass up the chain. But it could be worse. Who the fuck knows? We sure as hell don't. And to rely on the word of a single news report and a defense attorney is absurd. So get off your high horses and come back to reality.

Because this is a Naval Aviation forum, not a JAG forum. While there are some lawyers on here, nobody here has a JAG bug splat under their name to tag them as an SME in the ins and outs of the Manual for Courts Martial. There's nowhere near as much danger of what someone says here being mistaken for anything more than pure internet speculation using details that are all public domain.

...and please don't pull out the "in my experience as a LegalO" statements...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Impartiality and non-speculative discussion belongs around the table during a mishap investigation and those who are participating in such activities should refrain from such behavior to the maximum extent possible; but what do people expect out of an Internet DISCUSSION board? .... - learn what you can from the situation - or what the scenario might be - and apply it to your everyday situations; especially if you find yourself in some similar situation. Just realize that not all the facts are known - and might never be known - but that doesn't mean that there should never be discussion among professionals.

USMCFLYR

Because this is a Naval Aviation forum, not a JAG forum....... There's nowhere near as much danger of what someone says here being mistaken for anything more than pure internet speculation using details that are all public domain.

I am not suggesting that we steer clear of any discussion of things like this, or that this board's internet musings will be mistaken for anything more than that. What I am wondering is why many on this board have rushed to such hasty judgement with so few facts known at this point. Everyone is taking at face value what was said in the open press so far, mainly sourced from a single article, and the claims of a defense attorney. I think everyone here realizes that is a pretty bad way to go about business. We wouldn't do the same with an aircraft mishap, even without the sanctity of the mishap investigation.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am not suggesting that we steer clear of any discussion of things like this, or that this board's internet musings will be mistaken for anything more than that. What I am wondering is why many on this board have rushed to such hasty judgement with so few facts known at this point. Everyone is taking at face value what was said in the open press so far, mainly sourced from a single article, and the claims of a defense attorney. I think everyone here realizes that is a pretty bad way to go about business. We wouldn't do the same with an aircraft mishap, even without the sanctity of the mishap investigation.

They learned it from waching 24/7 cable news channels. It's what we do now in this society - rush to judgment with little or no factual information - consequences be damned.

Brett

USMCFLYR

pilot
They learned it from waching 24/7 cable news channels. It's what we do now in this society - rush to judgment with little or no factual information - consequences be damned.

Brett
This is so true. The difference between the news networks and a internet discussion board is that the networks offer up the information as fact.
The talking heads don't start their story with "Now I was just wondering/thinking here, but I have a question......" Our society wants 100% verified answers within hours on just about any issue that might creep up in the day's events.

USMCFLYR

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The talking heads don't start their story with "Now I was just wondering/thinking here, but I have a question......"

I'm afraid this is nothing new- how old is the phrase "yellow journalism?" The biggest difference is how fast we get the news nowadays (instant email alerts, nightly TV news, weekly radio, printing press...).

HIPCHIP

So now we have to wait until Jan to see if the brass pulls their head out of their exhaust pipe and stops this silly trial! :icon_rage

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like one of the Seal's attorney got a little face-time on Fox News. I find it very interesting that none of the evidence has been submitted to the defense attorneys. I'm not too savvy on military legal practices, so maybe this is normal.

http://video.foxnews.com/12313782/m...y_id=949437d0db05ed5f5b9954dc049d70b0c12f2749

What gives you that idea? I mean, the guys were just arraigned. There are normal rules of discovery for any trial or CM that will be followed.

Brett

Bevo16

pilot
I doubt they will get it.

At least they get to go back to work. Hopefully they get a medal for what they did. That operation was no joke, and they nabbed one of the highest ranking AQ Iraq leaders.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
+ 1 for the good guys ... - 1 for the lawyers and bureaucrats.

Ahhhhhhhh .... the sweet smell of justice ...

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Thank God. There is some justice remaining in this world. Now I would like to have someone psychoanalyze the CentCom commander or whoever was the Army general that pressed charges against these guys.