• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

Kilo-Charlie-83

I wanted to make a contribution to this thread, being a Scooter lover myself.
Back in Jan. of this year I was able to get up close and personal with a rare TA-4 Skyhawk that is original yet one of a kind.
This aircraft was built for a customer by a good friend of mine Mike "Maj" McDougall and crew of Fighting Classics Aircraft Restorations in Marana, Az. Using two different aircraft an A-4L and a TA-4J forward fuselage and powered by a J52-P8 . The restoration and conversion started in 2005 with its first flight upon completion on April 2010 with former Blue Angels pilot Rick Millson at the controls.

McDougall Douglas TA-4 Skyhawk N518TA

Attachments

• skyhawk1.jpg
    skyhawk1.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 33
  • scooter1.jpg
    scooter1.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Wake up MAJ!.jpg
    Wake up MAJ!.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 31
  • skyhawk2.jpg
    skyhawk2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The restoration and conversion started in 2005 with its first flight upon completion on April 2010 with former Blue Angels pilot Rick Millson at the controls.

Rick Mllson was one of our "Star" RPs when he came through the A-4 RAG VA-125 as a Nugget 'round ummmm, uh..47+ revolutions ago! I'm thinkin' we gave him a good A-4 start. Had the pleasure of flying a number of syllabus hops with Rick, back at good ol' Lemoore. Got back in touch with him 2 days ago by e-mail. Gave me a nice brief on what he's been doin', lots of flight test plus this restored T-A4 project in Arizona. Had a nice article w/ photo, about the project & Rick in the Skyhawk Assn. Journal A4EVER, about 3 months ago. Ol' Rick just "keeps on ticken'!"

BTW Skyhawk fans/members, The Skyhawk Assn. will have our annual Luncheon/Meetng at Hook '11 on Friday, Sept. 8 @ 12 noon. The guest Speaker will be ex-POW Paul Galanti, former VA-216 "Black Diamond" A-4 Driver.The Reunion/Symposium is 7-10 Sept '11, Nugget Hotel/Cassino, Sparks, NV. BzB will be there, any other AWs?:)
BzB

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's pretty. So awesome that Scooters are still flying and going to the Boat.

8726_6334.jpg

brownshoe

Contributor
That's pretty. So awesome that Scooters are still flying and going to the Boat.

8726_6334.jpg

And why not? The A4 is a really great airplane! But then I have a soft spot for the “Scooter” after lovingly caring for them.:) Dirt simple and easy to work on (except for those darned starting probes on the earlier models and an oil refill spout that was a pain in the ass to access:eek:). But then, all of Ed Heinemann’s designs were great!

Steve

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here is the privately owned TA-4J mentioned by Kilo-Charlie-83 in post #616 with a completed paint job.
It flew in San Diego today and I got to see it close up.
Cleanest A-4 I have ever seen. A thing of beauty! Got to see it take off too. Nice!

41323917.jpg

a4centeniel.jpg

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
There have been numerous instances where A-4's have landed on the drop tanks after experiencing unsafe gear down problems. It was a NATOPS procedure; part of the Landing Gear Emergency Extension procedure. Saw it happen at NQI once. Plane was back flying the next day after the malfunctioning nose gear part was replaced and the drop tanks were replaced.