• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scoliosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushmaster

Does anyone know if scoliosis is disqualifying for Naval Aviator training? I have a very slight case...

As far as I know, the AF has a 20 degree limit for scoliosis, how about Navy?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I dont think so but.....I'll ask one of our flight docs when I see him on monday

Dave

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
I had the same question a while back and I got some, er, sage advice. Search the archives for "scoliosis" and you'll find the thread.

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

Bushmaster

Esday, it seems like only you and I asked about this condition... I think when it is less than 10 degrees it is not even called scoliosis. My first measurement was 4 degrees which was in Dec. '02...

It is pretty good, but my only concern is what if it progresses?

The AF limit is 25 degrees in the upper back and 20 in the lower back... I hope Navy is similar...

As you said, I assume a person with a 15 degree curvature must be leaning on one side and it can't be unnoticable...

MJM1

Im no doctor but your correct that anything under about 10 degrees isnt even considered scolosisisisofksfks (sp) lol. I had about a 4 degree curvature and the doc didnt do anything but they do have to monitor it every year to make sure it dosent get any worse. Im not sure if it will disqulify u from becoming a pilot but definantly go to the doc and talk to him or her because it is correctable (most cases that arent too severe.) The only thing I worry about is; it is a back problem, and when your pulling high Gs it may affect it in a negative way (hope not or im screwed because I have the back prob, and i wanna get in too) But defiently check, and dont take my advice, but I think im correct-who knows...

twidget

Deskaholic
Bushmaster,

Just found this on the Naval Aerospace Medical Institute Website

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/orthopedics.htm

Looks like up to 20 degrees is OK, but you should talk to your recruiter to be sure.

13.1 ABNORMAL SPINAL CURVATURE
Rev JUN 00

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Excessive kyphosis, scoliosis, lordosis or combinations of them may make the spine unstable during ejection. Symptomatic conditions may cause distracting backache during flight.
WAIVER: Scoliosis over 20 degrees is disqualifying and without waiver in applicants, but can be waived in designated personnel. Kyphosis over 40 degrees is CD, again can be waived to 45 degrees in designated personnel. Waiver is not normally recommended when there is pain or interference with function or when the condition is progressive.
INFORMATION REQUIRED: Orthopedic consultation with measurement of any scoliosis by the Cobb method. Films should be taken in a standing position, and the measurements made by the radiologist or orthopedist. Cardiology consultation may be required to exclude pulmonary hypertension in those cases where right axis deviation leads to ECG abnormalities.
TREATMENT: Scoliosis if caused by an anatomical short leg may be improved with a trial of a heel lift on the affected side. OMT/Manual medicine and/or heel lift therapy when successful is NCD. Surgical treatment is disqualifying.
DISCUSSION: Curvature beyond 30 degrees poses risk for ejection injury. The center of gravity of the upper torso lies in front of the spine. Whenever loads are applied along the spinal axis, as in ejection, a bending moment is produced which increases as the disparity between the long axis of the spine and the line of application of the force is increased. While a waiver is possible for designated aircrew there is little point in considering a waiver for applicant as initial training will involve ejection seat aircraft. The long term outcome in cases of scoliosis up to 30 degrees is very favorable but above 30 degrees is uncertain. Note that there is a 3-5 degree error in measurements taken by the Cobb method. Consideration to disproportional leg lengths and/or pelvic torsion as an insult to cause symptomatic excessive of spinal curvature should be considered. OMT/Manual medicine with an experienced physician, may provide greater spinal normalization and relief of symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.