• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scary approach to Atlanta yesterday

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The reason that you can't us electronic devices during an approach is not based on any interference issue. It is based on having you unencumbered and able to hear and react to emergency instructions given over the PA system.
Not completely true. It is because they have not been tested to ensure that they do not interfere with any aircraft systems. They could possibly interfere. Since they haven't been test, it is assumed they will interfere so they are prohibited during critical phases of flight.

There have been reported cases of cell phone interference. Since there is no way to reconstruct these incidents, it is assumed they happened.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Below 18,000 you might have a VFR traffic separated from IFR traffic by 500 feet but the normal IFR vertical separation is 1000 feet.
I'm calling BS on this. Any sound you heard was in your imagination. You are not going to hear another airline aircraft from inside your airline aircraft unless it is smashing into you.

I could swear I heard something... but then again, I do have a very active imagination... perhaps I watched battle of britain one too many times this month! Did I mention the orange tracers I saw flipping past my window?

TopShot

BDCP SNA
That storm was CRAZY! I live a little north of the airport and I couldn't see 5ft ahead of me. The trees outside were about bent all they way over because of the strong wind gusts and rain. I can't imagine landing in that it, must have been pretty exciting :D

phrogpilot73

There have been reported cases of cell phone interference. Since there is no way to reconstruct these incidents, it is assumed they happened.
I forgot to turn off my cell phone (AT&T GSM) while doing some flying in the mighty C-152. Heard the distinct GSM "buzz" over Approach... It's possible.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I'm calling BS on this. Any sound you heard was in your imagination. You are not going to hear another airline aircraft from inside your airline aircraft unless it is smashing into you.
Agree......but, after refueling a Tomcat once, I could feel the vibrations/rumble=sound as he went to blower and departed.

So that is what the AF calls gabbing over Guard?:D

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot

HAL after all the 727 time, I am suprised you can hear at all.. :eek: Those packs are the loudest on the planet! I don't even think, that you would hear another A/C rip right thru the Plumber's seat.. Til the temperature drops and the Captain starts yelling to "Protect Essential" ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I once had a "new" F/O give me the approach into NRT 'cause it was too rough for him .... probably good headwork on his part. :)

But I had just started my last cup of coffee w/ one sugar. That made it a scary approach ... I shoulda' had two sugars. :eek:

Brett1

Banned
As scary as it seems I cant recall ever hearing of a plane that has broken up in flight due to just turbulence. Am I correct?? My wife asked me if this stuff is just par for the course..... I dont fly commercial enough to answer. How much can these planes take??

nugget81

pilot
As scary as it seems I cant recall ever hearing of a plane that has broken up in flight due to just turbulence. Am I correct?? My wife asked me if this stuff is just par for the course..... I dont fly commercial enough to answer. How much can these planes take??

You don't watch Lost, do you? ;)

snake020

Contributor
Not completely true. It is because they have not been tested to ensure that they do not interfere with any aircraft systems. They could possibly interfere. Since they haven't been test, it is assumed they will interfere so they are prohibited during critical phases of flight.

AMC doesn't seem to care. It was great not having nazi flight attendants on my KC-135 hop out of deployment in Sept telling me I had to turn my stuff off and couldn't lie down in the middle of the fuselage.

EvilGN

pilot
The Braniff flight did not break apart "solely" from Turbulence. It sounds like the Aircrew over G'd the plane while trying to recover from a 90 degree bank, 40 degree nose low attitude (similar attitude to the EP-3 that went down in China). Anyway, Hurricane P-3's go thru severe/exteme turbulence all the time, recently having to go home becuase of the turbulence associated with Hurricane Dean IIRC. But no hunter that I know have has "broken" apart in flight due to turbulence.

BTW the lockeed electra (Braniff) is what eventually became the P-3 for those that did not know.

plc67

pilot
I believe many years ago a 707 broke apart over Mount Fuji due to turbulence. I recall some low grade pictures of the aircraft,minus the tail assembly if I recall correctly, spinning in.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I believe many years ago a 707 broke apart over Mount Fuji due to turbulence. I recall some low grade pictures of the aircraft,minus the tail assembly if I recall correctly, spinning in.
True story ... a BOAC 707 in the mid-60's ...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Braniff flight did not break apart "solely" from Turbulence.....
And YOU know that ... how???

That was the whole point of the "controversy" I mentioned -- there's a lot of supposition and doctrinaire FAA and company "conclusions" -- but if you didn't actually WORK for Big Idiot and know some of the "rest of the story", then you only know what's in the accident report.

Yea-as??? :)