• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scariest Day/Night Flying

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My greatest fear is ejecting on or near the flight deck and ending up in the antennas on the island :eek:
As long as I don't go through them on the way up, I'm personally more worried about getting sucked under the screws. I figure as long as my harness held, I could dangle there for a little while.

Sheesh. Here I am jacking the thread 2 posts after telling people to stop. Some mod I am . . .:icon_tong

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As long as I don't go through them on the way up, I'm personally more worried about getting sucked under the screws. I figure as long as my harness held, I could dangle there for a little while.

Sheesh. Here I am jacking the thread 2 posts after telling people to stop. Some mod I am . . .:icon_tong

It's not about hanging from them, it's about being impaled...

sbedn0hb

though surviving a 10,000 foot fall takes the cake, here's another...

Day hop in '77 off the USS Coral Sea off the coast of South Korea, Pilot from VF-191 started complaining about chest pain and blacking out, told the RO to be ready to eject. RO talks with him, yells at him to stay with it as does air controllers aboard the boat. After 10-15 mins. he feels concious enough to try and land...he's last to trap, shuts down in the wires and then he passes out. He's taken to sick bay where they determine he suffered a massive heartattack in the air! He actually has another while waiting to be medevac-ed to Seoul. Has bypass surgery same day and then gets brought back to the states. Ends up getting a heart transplant and lived for several years in Pcola...

ive been reading the boards for a while, though this is my first post...i was telling my old man about the stories here and he said to put this one up. He's a retired f-4/f-14 RIO and was in the air with these guys when this all went down.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I've got my own civilian "scary flying story" (Happy Holloween?), if that would be appropriate.

Mods?

MasterBates

Well, there was the time in a Bell 204 I lost the (ONLY!) engine at 300' ATL (Above Tree Level) and auto'd to a 0-0 at the treetops, and stuck it in tail first, ended up stuck in a big pine tree, (actually wedged between 2) and broke my femur falling out of the helo...

plc67

pilot
I'd say that qualifies as a hell of a story. Got to have good reflexes to pull off a o/o auto from very low altitude into the trees.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Well, there was the time in a Bell 204 I lost the (ONLY!) engine at 300' ATL (Above Tree Level) and auto'd to a 0-0 at the treetops, and stuck it in tail first, ended up stuck in a big pine tree, (actually wedged between 2) and broke my femur falling out of the helo...

Well that sounds like fun. And by fun I mean sh!tting your pants.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
"So there I was at 4000' and screaming along at 95 knots....." Should be great;)

Actually it was more like 25' at 45 knots.

And if this is too gay or too long for you (I've needed to write it down for my own purposes for a while now anyways...), then you can read this thread instead and mock me further: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12506

I was slated to solo in the mighty Schweizer 2-33 sailplane (yeah, yeah, just bear with me), a pig of a plane if there ever was one. It was supposed to be three perfect patterns in a row, and then I'd solo. Simple enough?

The soaring club was winch launching that day. This means that the glider is at one end of the strip, and a big trailer (in our case) with spool of cable wired up to a car engine acts as a winch. Winch operator steps on the gas, and you shoot off, trying to gain as much altitude as you can until you are nearly on top of him, at which point you release the cable.

4000 feet of steel cable weighs a fair amount, and on the glider end there is a parachute system that deploys on release so the cable floats instead of crashing down. It is a tension system; strain on the cable from the glider's upward flight and the cable weighing down keeps the chute closed.

On my first launch, the chute (it was not the usual chute) ballooned up a little bit on one side, like it was going to squid, so I just pulled back harder on the stick, taking the slack out. The mishap occured on my second pattern flight. Winch takes the slack out, I call launch, and we're in the air. We're about twenty feet off the ground, and the chute gets a little funny. Again, I pull back, taking the slack out, except this time, the thing fvcking deploys and wraps over the canopy, crushing the pitot tubes.

I yanked the release, CFI took the plane. I figured he'd just set it down straight ahead; you could still estbalish a horizon by looking to the side. Instead, the chute shot off to the right and grabbed the main wheel, and the plane yaws right and pitches up a bit. We lose airspeed, controls go irresponsive. We flew wing first into the ground, and thankfully didn't stall out as I'd feared. Bird was cracked up pretty bad, but the occupants were fine. The mother who'd insisted on coming out to watch her baby solo was not.

Turns out what happened was I was supposed to have a simulated cable break on that pattern; winch operator thought the first little squid was our release, so he cut the power on the winch.

It was scary, but it really drove home in a visceral way for the first time how serious a business flying is, and motivated me to really get it right. We dragged out the other trainer, and I soloed later in the day.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I had a CFI almost fall out once. He was a B-17 pilot during WWII, an FAA examiner, and basically believed he was the second coming. Our conversation on run up went like this, "Sir, your door is open..." "It's hot, Im just getting some air. Just worry about what YOU'RE doing." Okay... Seconds after the tires leave the earth theres a loud BOOM, and then alot of noise in the cockpit. I look over and his feet are outside and hes trying to pull himself in by the seat harness (which he didn't put on). He got himself back inside and we came back in and landed. I almost solo'ed early that day... I didn't fly with him again.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a CFI almost fall out once. He was a B-17 pilot during WWII, an FAA examiner, and basically believed he was the second coming. Our conversation on run up went like this, "Sir, your door is open..." "It's hot, Im just getting some air. Just worry about what YOU'RE doing." Okay... Seconds after the tires leave the earth theres a loud BOOM, and then alot of noise in the cockpit. I look over and his feet are outside and hes trying to pull himself in by the seat harness (which he didn't put on). He got himself back inside and we came back in and landed. I almost solo'ed early that day... I didn't fly with him again.

Sounds like you were doing your job as a pilot by telling him his door was open. What an a$$hole. I wouldn't fly with someone like that, glad you stopped. I wonder, is there a way to make official complaints against CFIs with the FAA?