• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

scared over background checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nervous

i'm all set to go into Naval aviation, but i have the backgroud check ahead of me. i'm getting more nervous because i have some depression in my past (nothing medically documented, but it was there) as well as some buddies that have been arrested on drug charges.

my mom and dad both had top secret clearances, as did their fathers.

i've never had any charges/convictions aside from a couple of speeding tickets.

how deep do they dig? it's been my dream to be a pilot for my whole life, i couldn't inagine that it could be taken because of something like this

thanks for any help

Mike26

I just had my TS completed a few months ago. They dig pretty deep. They will go and talk to most of the references you have listed. So I think all you really have to worry about is what your friends say about you. You can still get a TS with skeletons in your closet as long as you are honest. If you lied they can get really nit picky. I had a friend who lied and later changed his story, they pulled his clearance for a bit but he eventually got it back. So the lesson learned is stick with your first story and don't change it.

nervous

quote:
I just had my TS completed a few months ago. They dig pretty deep. They will go and talk to most of the references you have listed. So I think all you really have to worry about is what your friends say about you. You can still get a TS with skeletons in your closet as long as you are honest. If you lied they can get really nit picky. I had a friend who lied and later changed his story, they pulled his clearance for a bit but he eventually got it back. So the lesson learned is stick with your first story and don't change it.

thanks - i guess i need to know now what are the automatic qisqualifiers? medical conditions that were never documented? i have a lot of friends that have smoked weed their whole lives and plan to join the service and quit a few months prior, i don't know if they inquire about convictions or just use period, regardless if you were ever caught.

do they ask for friends, or just go find teachers/parents college roomies etc?

antisnook

You should talk to your recruiter about your worries. He/she gets extra cash when he/she signs someone on, therefore he/she will tell you what you need to do to get in. I dont think you should tell them about the depression thing if it isnt medically documented. Also, in your security clearance reference section, -do not list any one of your jack-ass aquantances/friends that will incriminate you. Use your instincts on your refrence sections.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
As previously mentioned, honesty is the most important factor. If they find something that doesn't correspond to what you said in your interview or ESPQ that is bad.

If you're really curious, do some research here:

http://www.dss.mil/nf/adr/index.htm

nervous

quote:
As previously mentioned, honesty is the most important factor. If they find something that doesn't correspond to what you said in your interview or ESPQ that is bad.

If you're really curious, do some research here:

http://www.dss.mil/nf/adr/index.htm

that link makes me feel better - i have a few things in my past i'd rather forget, but i want this so badly i'd give my right arm (if that in itself wouldn't DQ me)

if i got the right jist of that list then the military is more concerned about one's future than past.

guess honesty is the best policy. i feel a little better now, but i'll still be holding my breath until she clears

you guys are great

JT1208

Does anyone know when they actually perform the background check. Is it before you are accecpted into a program or after?

JT

Valion310

If you guys are nervious about the background checks, wait till your lifestyle polygraphs, they suck! ... lol Remember these wise words in accordence with not lying ... NO = Naval Opertunities & YES = Your Enlistment Stops ... (wise words from an old recruiter)

You can't do anything about the investigations, if you have a history of DUI's, arrests, drug related charges, etc then you can pretty much kiss your commision and any chances at all of gaining clearances good bye. But don't stress about the checks, they dig deep and you can't do much about it so choose who you list on your SF86's carefully. Old girlfriends, and questionable people who have a beef with you probably aren't the best ones to list. If your clean then you shouldn't have anything to worry about, if your not then fess up to it and let the chips fall where they may, just remember, you can't beat the system...

Anyway, hope that helps some ...

Valion310 out-

Valion310

The life style poly's are all sorts of the most personal questions about your life and how you live it looking for fla's and things which could present security risks. I'm sure if you use your imagination, you can figure out what they ask you about ...

Valion310 out-

quote:
what are the lifestyle polygraphs all about?

NeGeMo

civilian medical files? when and why?

I have a long time and well respected friend who works at the MEPS, he told me that the Military never request civilian medical files, not even for a TS investigation, unless you appear to have a previous medical condition (ie: using an inhaler @ basic, LMAO!)

I do have a question about the TS clearance. From those who have had them, or those who are familiar with the process. Will the person completing the investigation interview with Aunts and Uncles.

I was told that they ONLY interview mom and pops when it comes to family, is that true??

(Just thought I would get some brownie points if they interviewed my family, come on who's family is going to say something bad,
icon_smile_wink.gif

-- For the record I have a clean record; no D.U.I.'s, Tickets, No Charges (formal or informal)...Nada!

Regards,

JC

psrogers

Intel Officer
When do we do polygraphs? Is that only IF we are moving to a high rank or is it even for the lowly ensign intelligence and SNA officers? Bring it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.