• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sar

navy05

how much search and rescue ops do hsl/hsm/hs pilots actually do? Is it kind of just something that you train for but nothing ever happens? I know they pick up downed pilots over the seas and overland on deployments. Do they get any action at home station or is that left to the USCG? I'm very intrigued in the SAR/CSAR mission and think it's one of the most meaningful things a pilot can do. How often are navy helo bubbas called to the rescue at home and on deployments?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It just like everything else...you just have to be in the right place at the wrong time. Obviously guys who do SAR as their mission have a better chance at doing something (HSC on the Gators and HS at the carrier). But there are times when things happen. Generally, the CG picks up the domestic SAR (by that, I mean in the 50 states), but sometimes they can't cover it. At my last squadron we had to cover SAR for the CG at Barber's several times which included actually launching.

Being HSL, we sometimes get more Medevacs than SARs, but again, it all depends. I was "fortunate" to have 2 SARs on my first deployment, resulting in 4 lives saved. You're absolutely right, it is very meaningful and makes you appreciate your job that much more.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
The HSL squadrons in Mayport all have to share a rotation with each standing backup SAR alert for a week (I think) at a time. The closest CG air assets are in Savannah. From what I understand the call comes in a decent amount of the time, but quite often the subject as been rescued before one of the helos launches. I'm only in the FRS, so I don't know this info as well as Master might, being that he's in one of the fleet squadrons down the hall.

SlickAg

pilot
Does the Navy still do the CG Exchange program where they send a pilot to a CGAS for a shore tour? One of my sim instructors mentioned it to me as having been around back in his day, didn't know if they still did it.

On a side note, the show SOS: Coast Guard rescue was bad-@ss. Definitely an underappreciated asset. Almost makes you want to switch services. It seemed like that would be a very rewarding and fulfulling aviation career.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Weren't sar guys involved with the tsunami and katrina...not that they caused it by their DADT policies:)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
SAR is a primary mission for HSC, and I'm pretty sure it's a primary mission for HS as well, since they sit in stbd-d a great deal of the time. It's highly emphasized in the HSC FRS, if not practiced a whole lot.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Weren't sar guys involved with the tsunami and katrina...not that they caused it by their DADT policies:)

What in the world does that mean?

Yes, pretty much everyone participated in Katrina. If you had a rotor system and didn't have "US MARINES" on the side, you played, and even they had players for airlifts. I'm sorry I didn't get to play in that game. As for the tsunami, it was more airlift support. I'm generalizing, as I'm sure there were SAR cases, but it seemed to be more Medevacs and food dropoffs. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

@Scorch:

Now see, the HS guys can't have it both ways. They can't say that sitting in Starboard D "really isn't just haning out next to the ship...we do other stuff too!" ;) I think HH-60H actually listed their Primary mission before but I can't remember what it was. I'd be interested to know if it's considered "primary," as it would make sense. There's also the "primary" in the Natops and the "primary" in the ROC/POE.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Hey, I'm all for credit where credit is due... just wondering about the ratio of time in stbd-d to (actual) CSAR or ASW ops.

Also, if you're in HSC-25 over in Guam, you are the SAR asset for the entire island... lots of rescues over there.

gregsivers

pilot
In addition to whats been listed so far, many Naval Air Stations have station SAR assets, used to be H-3s but now being replaced by the MH-60S. Primarily there for the NAS assets, but can also be used for other stuff. One of the civilian sim instructors at Whiting told me several stories of when he was station SAR at NAS Key West and some of the missions he flew. They're the only ones out that far, so they get stuff sometimes that the CG in Miami might otherwise get.

MasterBates

What in the world does that mean?

Yes, pretty much everyone participated in Katrina. If you had a rotor system and didn't have "US MARINES" on the side, you played, and even they had players for airlifts. I'm sorry I didn't get to play in that game. As for the tsunami, it was more airlift support. I'm generalizing, as I'm sure there were SAR cases, but it seemed to be more Medevacs and food dropoffs. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

For the Mayport 60B det, we did combo missions. 1st run in logistics, then SAR until it got dark. After 3-4 days it shifted to more of a recon/resupply role once we got on the CVN. First 4-5 days were at NAS Pcola.

navy05

So to get this right:
You'll only get to conduct SAR on deployment if you happen to be at the right place at the wrong time. Otherwise, a helo guy should'nt count on doing SAR at station unless they assist the CG in hawaii or Mayport or are stationed in Guam with HSC. Which duty stations have station sar as a shore tour besides "middle of nowhere" Lemoore, Whidbey, and Key West?

MasterBates

I think you just nailed them. Minus Lemoore. No Station SAR there.

P-Cola (helo support det, not just SAR)
Whidbey
Fallon (tried to get orders there)

Mayport/JAX cover Backup SAR daily. Frequency depends on how many HS squadrons are out. HSL always has somebody at home. HSM and HSC wing work out skeds between them, and then farm the actual dates out to the squadrons.

gregsivers

pilot
So to get this right:
You'll only get to conduct SAR on deployment if you happen to be at the right place at the wrong time. Otherwise, a helo guy should'nt count on doing SAR at station unless they assist the CG in hawaii or Mayport or are stationed in Guam with HSC. Which duty stations have station sar as a shore tour besides "middle of nowhere" Lemoore, Whidbey, and Key West?

As far as HSL goes SAR is a secondary mission. And the CG is the primary SAR assest for offshore US, and the AF is the primary SAR for overland US. Navy does backup and when requested.

S.O.B.

pilot
So to get this right:

PAX River has station SAR and they also fly the C-12; but I wouldn’t set my sights on station SAR for shore duty unless you are looking to get out.