• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

San Diego Recommendations

MH-Z

pilot
Couldn't find anything with search, so does anybody know a good spot to check out the Races this year? I'm gonna scope out North Island, but the view might be limited. Any gouge would be appreciated.

Get there early and scope out some ground at Ferry Landing or the small park hidden off of 1st street.

EDIT: If you're on NASNI and in a pinch, look for the Roach Coaches for breakfast burritos!

MPH

Get there early and scope out some ground at Ferry Landing or the small park hidden off of 1st street.

There's a beach on the northern end of the sea wall I hit every year. Much lower traffic then the ferry landing. It (the landing) was especially bad last year as someone had a wedding the day of the races. The high tide is around 1100 both days, so you should be able to sneak in and grab a spot right on the water even if you don't show up at 8.

Comedy ensues when drunk people swim to the pylons during intermission, realize they can't make it back, and need the red bull rescue crew to come out and save them.

aw.jpg

Should give you an idea of the location.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

EDIT: If you're on NASNI and in a pinch, look for the Roach Coaches for breakfast burritos!

Their lunch (ie carne asada burritos) is awesome! They're typically parked by the sim building at HS-10/HSC-3.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Hey, we were neighbors. What do you know. :D

Brett

We were there in 2000-2001 and another great thing about them is that they were super cool about us breaking our lease. Our roommate had orders to Japan that didn't start for 3 1/2 months but they still let us out.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
For Mexican, I always try to hit Loma Bonita................

+1 The food there was great! While stationed at the sub base from 2000-2008, Loma Bonita was a frequent stop on my ride home. Miguels Cocina on the corner (Scott and Shelter Island) was a great sit down place, too! Baja Brew from Karl Strauss and free mimosas during Sunday brunch. :D

Damn I miss real Mexican food........this Pensacola Mexican food sucks!:eek:
Someone send me a Pollo Asada California burrito!

Ralph

Living in PB or MB is awesome. Walking distances to the bars is key. Gaslamp/downtown bars and clubs are overpriced. You can't go wrong either but downtown your back account is a huge factor. Have fun.

utak

In Imperial beach, there's a taco/burrito place where the silver strand highway turns into a street (when it banks East), it's incredible, as well as the donut shop right next to it.

In Coronado, if you want breakfast, the Night and Day cafe, their biscuits and sausage gravy is awesome.

And Santana's has great burrito places around, it's a chain.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
At the recommendation of Villanelle amongst others, I'll be living at La Mirage... oh joy. For 3 months, that is... until I buy a place.

Review to follow...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At the recommendation of Villanelle amongst others, I'll be living at La Mirage... oh joy. For 3 months, that is... until I buy a place.

Review to follow...

If you're going to buy, then go off to Guam, better check out the mortgage/rental delta. Caveat emptor.

Brett

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you're going to buy, then go off to Guam, better check out the mortgage/rental delta. Caveat emptor.

Brett

I have 3 months to do some research (which is why I chose to do that instead of TLA, buy a place and then spend years regretting).

I certainly plan on taking into account the above delta, my COLA, what is and isn't affordable/realistic and what I plan on doing wrt to buying. The market is just too sweet right now to ignore for 3-4 years.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have 3 months to do some research (which is why I chose to do that instead of TLA, buy a place and then spend years regretting).

I certainly plan on taking into account the above delta, my COLA, what is and isn't affordable/realistic and what I plan on doing wrt to buying. The market is just too sweet right now to ignore for 3-4 years.

There's no COLA in SD, and your BAH rate is going to be for Guam, if you even get that there (I have no idea). All said, it's probably a good time to buy.

Brett

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I lived in San Diego for 9 years as an adult. I recommend North PB. BAH will get you a decent place, and having roommates means you can live within a few blocks (2-3) of the Pacific in a decent house, near surfable waves, and a 10 minute drunk walk to Garnet.

North PB is a little quieter than Garnet/Grand, and gives you quicker access to the 5 via Beryl Street.

Not to knock the earlier posts, but Mission Valley is probably the 10th place in SD that I would look to live. Guess it depends what you're looking for. Coastal is the way to go: OB, nicer parts of MB, PB, Birdrock, La Jolla, Del Mar, Solana. Coronado is nice also. There are a few cool areas near Balboa Park if that's more your speed (insert Hillcrest joke here) and the hills just east of the 5 have some views.

Some of the apartments downtown are new and nice, but you're downtown.

If you're young and single with BAH, North PB (Tourmaline, Loring, Beryl, Wilbur) will treat you very well.

North PB to Miramar was about 20-25 minutes.
North PB to NASNI was about 20-30 minutes depending on the gate.
Evenings may be a little longer, but not crazy for SOCAL.

And BTW, the best burrito in SD is the California burrito at Papa Chito's in a strip mall at Genesee and Governor. Get the red hot sauce.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
There's no COLA in SD, and your BAH rate is going to be for Guam, if you even get that there (I have no idea). All said, it's probably a good time to buy.

Brett

I meant COLA in Guam, not SD. And we get OHA in Guam which as you know is use/lose so it doesn't factor into the equation anyway.

My plan is to move in to my own place after 3 months and spend my remaining time in SD prepping it for rental and putting it on the market and getting it all rented out before I depart CONUS so that it can "take care of itself" (I know, real estate is NEVER that easy) for 3 years while I'm in Guam and hopefully have some decent equity paid into it by the time I'm ready to return as a RAG IP.

My COLA in Guam should be able to provide me a decent buffer should I have to "float" the property myself for any period of time.

Anyway, this is all research I'll be doing over the next 3 months BEFORE buying.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I meant COLA in Guam, not SD. And we get OHA in Guam which as you know is use/lose so it doesn't factor into the equation anyway.

My plan is to move in to my own place after 3 months and spend my remaining time in SD prepping it for rental and putting it on the market and getting it all rented out before I depart CONUS so that it can "take care of itself" (I know, real estate is NEVER that easy) for 3 years while I'm in Guam and hopefully have some decent equity paid into it by the time I'm ready to return as a RAG IP.

My COLA in Guam should be able to provide me a decent buffer should I have to "float" the property myself for any period of time.

Anyway, this is all research I'll be doing over the next 3 months BEFORE buying.

You might want to look at an amortization table. Your principle isn't going to go down appreciably in the first 10 years. Consider this part of your research. ;)

Brett

dexter

pilot
The wife and I have been renting since we got out here in late Jan. We're closing on a condo in 4S ranch (10 minutes north of Miramar, if I was still single I would have been looking closer to the water) at the end of May. The entry level market out here is surprisingly competative right now. There are actually some bidding wars going on. Lots of foreclosures and short sales but very few clean, convential properties available. I guess those who can still afford their mortgages are not interested in selling for a 30% loss.