• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

San Diego Living

NapalmRat

I'm moving out to san diego in a month or two for the hornet rag there. Anyone have any recommendations what areas to look at for a couple of bachelor officers living near miramar? or what realty agencies you'd recommend going through? thx

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Up near Miramar, I'd recommend Pacific Beach (PB), Mission Beach or La Jolla.
As for agencies, can't help you out.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Mission Valley is a good central location that can get you anywhere in a decent amount of time. PB if you like drunks and winos and "lower class" folks bumbling around your neighborhoods. La Jolla if you want to be REALLY far north but with lots of hot rich UCSD girls. Hillcrest if you... well, I can't ask and you can't tell.

Bevo16

pilot
If you were single and don't live in PB you will regret it for the rest of your life.

I was neither single nor lived in PB, and I will regret it for the rest of my life. (although I love my wife and kid)

There is almost as much fine trim there per half acre as Austin. Almost.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Mission Valley is a good central location that can get you anywhere in a decent amount of time. PB if you like drunks and winos and "lower class" folks bumbling around your neighborhoods. La Jolla if you want to be REALLY far north but with lots of hot rich UCSD girls. Hillcrest if you... well, I can't ask and you can't tell.

La Jolla really far north of Miramar? Not so much ...

But you are right about those Hillcrest ass-cruhsers, steer clear ...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
La Jolla really far north of Miramar? Not so much ...

But you are right about those Hillcrest ass-cruhsers, steer clear ...

No, not Miramar. I just mean far north of ALL of San Diego proper. It's nice to be central and be a short drive from anything, than to be in La Jolla (which is great) but have an hour drive to get down to Coronado, or if you so choose, Chula Vista.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
If I were single, I'd live downtown, and make friends with someone who lived in PB and had a comfy couch. Let them live amongst the drunks and the theft, and let me pass out on their couch after long nights in PB.

And when I wanted to go somehwere a bit nicer, I'd have the entire gaslamp in my backyard. If that's too far from Miramar for you'd, my next choice would be Mission Valley probably.

PB is great for visiting often, but IMO, not for living.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
No, not Miramar. I just mean far north of ALL of San Diego proper. It's nice to be central and be a short drive from anything, than to be in La Jolla (which is great) but have an hour drive to get down to Coronado, or if you so choose, Chula Vista.

Well, I was just thinking of getting to work. That's what I get as a boring married-with-kids type trying to give advice to the single guys. What, no one wants to know where the best parks and playgrounds are at? :icon_wink

Back to my corner I go ... chase some tail boys!

Bevo16

pilot
Go to PB. Start at Longboards at about 8:00. Every hour, move 1 block toward the beach.

The next day, you will be looking for apartments off Grand, Garnett or Ingraham.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Go to PB. Start at Longboards at about 8:00. Every hour, move 1 block toward the beach.

The next day, you will be looking for apartments off Grand, Garnett or Ingraham.

Let's be realistic... the next day, you'll be picking yourself up out of a beach-side gutter, brushing the dried vomit out of your hand and trying to find your cell-phone.... just sayin'.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm moving out to san diego in a month or two for the hornet rag there. Anyone have any recommendations what areas to look at for a couple of bachelor officers living near miramar? or what realty agencies you'd recommend going through? thx
"Search" is your friend. You should try it sometime.

Here,
here,
here,
here,
and here.

There are more, but I will relinquish the San Diego living, search-spoon-feeding to you now. Go for it!

[Should I weep for the future of Naval Aviation? :confused: :( ]

E26

Welcome to San Diego.

University City is right next to MCAS Miramar. Check housing there. Beyond that I can't really help your housing situation.

But once you get settled in, I can tell you were all the good food and entertainment is :D

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
OK, I'm headed to SD in a few months, and after reviewing all the San Diego threads again, I have to ask: Are North Park and Hillcrest just terrible? Or do those of you who have bashed it just hate seeing gay people around? I haven't seen any criticism of it that didn't also reference its... well, larger-than-they-like homosexual population.

I'm going to do some neighborhood scouting next week when I'm in SoCal, so I'll see for myself, but so far from the whitewashed view of the internets the areas around Balboa park look relatively safe, affordable, and close to work.

Zenithic

Hahaha, O man, Let me tell you as a student at UCSD that hot and UCSD girls should not be used in the same sentence.

However, La Jolla is a nice area, little pricey

+1 to University City

Both are within 5-10 minute drive to MCAS Miramar

E26

OK, I'm headed to SD in a few months, and after reviewing all the San Diego threads again, I have to ask: Are North Park and Hillcrest just terrible? Or do those of you who have bashed it just hate seeing gay people around? I haven't seen any criticism of it that didn't also reference its... well, larger-than-they-like homosexual population.

I'm going to do some neighborhood scouting next week when I'm in SoCal, so I'll see for myself, but so far from the whitewashed view of the internets the areas around Balboa park look relatively safe, affordable, and close to work.

Hillcrest is actually fairly nice in terms of culture, really lively. There are lots of gays, yes, but it's interesting, and I have no problem with them. Just beware of gangs of lesbians that rape females, no joke. It's rare, but it's happened.

North Park is a fairly nice, quaint, diverse area, but has it's issues with crime here and there. El Cajon blvd is the worst area; it's packed full of prostitutes. Other then that, nothing major to my knowledge.

Either way, you're extremely close to all the cool stuff SD has to offer. Out of all the places I've been to in the World, Balboa park remains one of my favorite.

Just keep in mind that I don't live in those areas, I just frequent them. So take my word only as an observer.

Hahaha, O man, Let me tell you as a student at UCSD that hot and UCSD girls should not be used in the same sentence.

+1, unless you dig no personality, zits, and buckteeth. But I'll be damned if those ladies don't find the cure for cancer or herpes some day.

You must be talking 'bout the girls from La Jolla Country Day School. In which case, be careful :D