• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sam Browne Belt

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Could anyone tell me if the gold with small red bloodstripe is still authroized for evening dress, or did that go the way of the dodo along with dress whites?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Right !!! Very dapper . Reminds me ... when I was a Midshipman ... one of the Marine Officers (who was totally psycho, BTW --- he was the clincher who "convinced" me to GO NAVY) wore a CAPE ... that's as in Batman --- a CAPE (uniform cloak, maybe?) --- to an official function --- a dance.

He had obviously practiced the manual of arms with it --- when he whipped it off at the coat check station --- he did it with a swirl and a flourish that would have left Fred Astaire envious .... USMC Officer .... now who could know ??? :)

The boatcloak! Is that still worn?

BoatCloakOpen.JPG

Edit: Damn, too slow

Crowbar

None
DocT said:
It is still authorized I believe...anybody?

3003. BOATCLOAK/DRESS CAPE. (See fig. 2-1.)
1. The boatcloak, made of dark blue broadcloth material lined with scarlet wool broadcloth, is an optional item which may be worn by male officers and SNCOs with evening dress and blue dress "A"/"B" uniforms for official and social functions. It will not be worn when the blue dress uniform is worn as the uniform of the day.

2. The dress cape, made of dark blue polyester-wool tropical material lined with scarlet satin rayon cloth, is an optional item which may be worn by female officers and SNCOs with the evening dress and blue dress "A"/"B" uniforms for official and social functions. It will not be worn when the blue dress uniform is worn as the uniform of the day.

Crowbar

None
DocT said:
Could anyone tell me if the gold with small red bloodstripe is still authroized for evening dress, or did that go the way of the dodo along with dress whites?

Try MCO P1020.34G.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That's it !!! Thanks, guys. The only difference is back in the '60's ... they were tropical weight wool only --- progress?? --- no wool-polyester blends . The only things polyester back-in-the-day were the flower shirts the hippies wore .... and the leisure suits worn by the guys with white shoes/white belts in Vegas.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The only time I've worn the Sam Browne in 10 1/2 years was when I was fitted for it and at my wedding. Yes, perhaps unauthorized for leave and libbo, but dammit, I was the CO (well, XO) of my own wedding, and I wanted to finally get my money's worth.

Boatcloak? Does anyone even stock those anymore? I think Bolognese's was the only one who did, and I wouldn't buy a stick of gum from that place. They sold a guy in my TBS class a used sword as new. You would definitely make an impression wearing one of those at an official function. That impression would be,"Who's the tool wearing the cape?"

phrogpilot73

phrogdriver said:
Boatcloak? Does anyone even stock those anymore? I think Bolognese's was the only one who did, and I wouldn't buy a stick of gum from that place. They sold a guy in my TBS class a used sword as new. You would definitely make an impression wearing one of those at an official function. That impression would be,"Who's the tool wearing the cape?"
Agree about Bolognese. However, I have seen one guy in a Boat Cloak. It was a Maj that was an instructor at the Naval Academy, shows up at the birthday ball in it. Of course, he was very into the "old school" traditions...

Bighead

I looked on the MCX website and in the MCO and couldnt find anything on how to measure the size of the Sam Browne. Does anyone have a link or can someone just tell me if you go by your waist size or a little bigger? Thanks for everyones input.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
This thread pretty much clinches it, BUT CAN A MARINE OFFICER PLEASE GIVE ME A REASON TO BUY ANYTHING AT THE FRIGGIN' MARINE SHOP?

The price difference, especially with the MCX mail order catalogue, is absolutely disgusting.

I mean, is there a difference in the SB belt, the weight of the wool, or something? MCX sells a 100% wool and a gabardine. I calculated prices with the 100% wool and still came out hundreds ahead. In fact, I can buy just about ALL of my new uniform items at MCX for just a little more than the dress blues cost at the Marine Shop.

Much appreciated gents.

I'm guessing that the Marine Shop is pretty much preying on FNGs.

phrogpilot73

This thread pretty much clinches it, BUT CAN A MARINE OFFICER PLEASE GIVE ME A REASON TO BUY ANYTHING AT THE FRIGGIN' MARINE SHOP?
The Marine Shop is generally a rip off. However, I recommend their covers over the exchanges. Their barracks cover is made out of wicker instead of plastic and is more comfortable, and their garrison covers have a leather hand band vice cloth. Other than that, they're not worth it. The sword is a smidge nicer, but not worth the money they want...

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
... and their garrison covers have a leather hand band vice cloth.
I will agree that I do like the leather band as well. I did get all of my stuff there (mmm... Koolaid) and everything has worked out well, but I'm fairly confident that I would have had the same outcome using the PX - as well as a little more beer money.

phrogpilot73

I will agree that I do like the leather band as well. I did get all of my stuff there (mmm... Koolaid) and everything has worked out well, but I'm fairly confident that I would have had the same outcome using the PX - as well as a little more beer money.
I drank the Kool Aid so much that I was convinced that I wanted, no check that, NEEDED a tanker jacket. Never wore it once. The covers (both kinds) are really the only thing the Marine Shop is good for...