• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Saltier Marines - what's your best advice for a brand new 2ndLt?

CitizenReloaded

Advice on TBS (just started alpha co.)

or API/flight school,

or anything.

What did you screw up when you were new to the Corps?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quick pieces of advice:
TBS-dress warm, dont sweat it too much. Enjoy DC

Flight School-study more than you think is necessary, try to learn a little about each community as you approach selection. dont wish it away, enjoy your time where your only job is to learn to fly. the fleet is always out there waiting and the Corps will get theirs so enjoy any pool time you might have.

I screwed up more things than I can count but learned from them

Reactions: E5B

LSUMarine

Lay off me! I'm starving!
I'm not much saltier but I would suggest that you get The Marine Officer's Guide by retired Lt Col Kenneth Estes. It is full of good information and advice, and I know that it has helped me out plenty of times.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Generations have gone before you and will follow. The latest gouge is either here or will be evident when you get to whatever evolution you are entering (plenty of folks just ahead to pulse for latest gouge). Just show up, stay in shape, study hard, have fun and DON'T drink and drive!

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
Don't park illegally at TBS, especially the day you check in. Standing tall in front of the TBS XO made for a hell of a first day. But if you do, don't sweat the asschewing, because that's all you going to get despite what they may tell you.

Deke999999

Oh ****, we're on fire. What now Geese??
pilot
After a few years in Navy squadrons don't forget some of the Marine behaviors you are learning now. Time will erode some of the "moto" and it only takes one conversation with a pissed off 0-5 to remind you that you are still a Marine.

KBayDog

This chapped my ass at TBS:

When you are in a leadership billet, MAKE THE CALL! Don't worry about your friggin' evaluation, or making the captains angry. Your evaluation doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things - your ability to look out for your peers and subordinates by making timely decisions does matter (both in the short and long terms).

All too often, new lieutenants are worried about looking good in front of the SPCs and not ruffling any feathers with the staff. Believe me - the staff (and your Marines) would much rather have a bold WRONG decision than have you pussyfoot around waiting for "permission" to do everything. If you take a step back and look at TBS, it's just a big decision-making experiment. They want you to get in the mindset of making decisions (and they provide you with a "safe" environment in which to do so). Take advantage of it.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Somewhat parallel to what KBay said, I'll offer up that you need to be prepared to accept the consequences of making the call. Don't be afraid to exercise some initiative, but if it goes south, then you stand tall before the Man and say it was your fault. Taking responsibility for your actions is one of the keystones to being a good leader and a well-developed adult.

KBayDog

^Good point. This is why TBS is the time to "practice" making those mistakes and taking responsibility for your actions. As long as you abide by the safety regs (particularly on ranges), nobody will get hurt by your decisions, and training will take place.

Rainman

pilot
When your SPC asks, "If the Corps didn't have aviation, would you be here?" Try to have something more clever in mind than, "I doubt it." That and putting 0302 last on my virtual selection sheet got all the Infantry SPCs all excited.

We never really got along after that. . . . . .

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rainman said:
When your SPC asks, "If the Corps didn't have aviation, would you be here?" Try to have something more clever in mind than, "I doubt it." That and putting 0302 last on my virtual selection sheet got all the Infantry SPCs all excited.

We never really got along after that. . . . . .

We used a variation of FIGMO (F__it, I've got my orders), which was FIGMAC (F__it, I've got my air contract). Not that the aviators didn't take TBS seriously, we weren't trying to impress anyone when in leadership positions because we weren't going to have to compete for jobs at the end of TBS (IE Motor T on the rock wasn't a potential assignment unless you had a medical problem). SPCs tended to give plum assignments to guys going infantry anyway although I got weapons platoon for company night defense exercise.

phrogpilot73

Agree with everything said here thusfar, and I just thought I'd add to it and expand upon some.

Bust your ass in TBS, it actually does matter. I finished TBS number 24 in my class, so I got promoted to Captain before all my peers (six months ahead of some of them).

Wear your goggles during night land nav, no matter how much you get laughed at. I stabbed myself in the eye with a tree branch, and was terrified for a good solid month.

Remember, the fleet is an evil mistress. Enjoy your time off when you have it, because you aren't going to get it back, and the Marine Corps can find ways to fill your time for you. Specifically in relation to flight school. In your off time, don't worry about studying - unless it's chicks and beer.

Finally, when you're no longer having fun - it's time to get out.

riley

Maybe I'm just sick, but I really enjoyed TBS..... it might be that I spent the 3 1/2 years prior in "Office Space" hell.

-The hour scheduled for study time before an exam is money.
-Sieze the day - when given a chance to answer questions or take on a leadership billet in TDGs or out on a FEX take it. It gives you good practice in an environment where the only consequence is someone may laugh at you.
-Have fun on the weekends - but remember a taxi is a hell of a lot cheaper than standing in front of the CO explaining why you got the DUI or why you let someone else get the DUI.
-Don't freak out and waste your time studying for API before you get there.