• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

S-3 Crashes near NAS Jax

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bummer. Hopefully the crew walks away from the ejection.

East

东部
Contributor
Condolances

My condolances to the entire community + family.
May the family be comforted with the thought that they died with something they loved doing...

My prayers are with them who are left behind.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two parachutes found two miles from the crash site, two bodies in the wreckage, no word yet on survivors. Doesn't make much sense at first blush. Vast majority of the time, in a situation like the one reported, short approach, the crew ejects, and survives. Probably just typical first reporting from a mishap scene, incomplete if not incompetent. It will be ineresting to see how the story develops. I'm still hoping for some survivors.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. It can hold 4 people, there was two believed on board, two bodies in the aircraft and two parachutes found nearby? Bad reporting. I hope for the best.

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
For anyone with any knowledge on the S-3...when they fly with only a pilot and a co-pilot, are the rear ejection seats disengaged, or do they fire off as well? This was my first thought when I heard two bodies and two chutes found nearby.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I believe that the rear seats have to be ballasted if the S-3 is flying with two people. Something to do with the seat trajectory during ejection.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JIMC5499 said:
I believe that the rear seats have to be ballasted if the S-3 is flying with two people. Something to do with the seat trajectory during ejection.

Can't turn them off? We can secure the rear seat on the T-45 when we fly solo. Then again, we have a NACES seat system. Not sure if that makes a difference.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually had to go back and check my old NATOPS (gimme a break, it has been 15 years since my last flight). With the headknocker down (these are McDonnel Douglas ESCAPAC seats) the seat is safe from actuation by the respective seat ejection handles only. I had forgotten that. So, when in the crew eject mode if either the pilot or copilot/cotac eject, all four seats go, occupied or not. Ballast is not required as long as both back seats are unoccupied. An anthroprometric dummy was used for ballast when one of the rear seats was unoccupied. This ensured the unoccupied seat did not accelerated faster then the occupied seat and fry that occupant with the rocket motor. Not sure what kind of chute would have appeared from an unoccupied seat. I would expect just a billowing sheet. Still, it would be odd if only the front seats were occupied and the rear seats went but the front remained with the aircraft. Can't imagine ejecting so late that the front seats didn't even get out. We are talking fractions of a second bewteeen front and back sequences. Like I said, the real story will be interesting. It already is tragic.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
There is a command eject on the S-3. The pilots seat is always set to command eject, the cotac can be set to either command or single eject. The seats in the back are only single eject (unless someone up front from pulls the handle). That was the training I recieved before my flight in the S-3.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
All or none makes more sense the way I see it. I've heard that the prowler does a 1 at a time staggered, but still all or none. What else do you do if your pilot goes unconcious and everyone else needs to punch out? Leave the poor bastard there? A toggle switch might be nice, but realistically its just one more thing that can go wrong (thought it was set the other way, etc) in an already bad situation.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
Mefesto said:
The command eject is to prevent two empty seats from going and wasting precious time, and or the trajectory being off from no body in it...

or to prevent some douche bag celebrity getting a ride from ejecting the pilot as well as himself when he freaks out and pulls the handle.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
wink said:
......these are McDonnel Douglas ESCAPAC seats......Not sure what kind of chute would have appeared from an unoccupied seat. .....Can't imagine ejecting so late that the front seats didn't even get out. .....
The ESCAPAC is a good seat --- it saved my butt once. The major malfunctions have been with the seat/canopy interlocks --- don't know whether or not this is a design weakness in the S-3. It was problematical in the A-4. I can't remember the specifics exactly and have no NATOPS for reference, but would not an unoccupied seat have only a stabilizing drogue at best ??? I need to see a book ..... sorry.

The major problem with most failed ejections is making the decision to get out too late ...... that's what kills you. we were always told to make that decision (i.e., What are your parameters?? What is you bottom line? ) before you ever man up regardless of type of aircraft ....

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
The command eject is to prevent two empty seats from going and wasting precious time, and or the trajectory being off from no body in it...

I hope you are are talking about another aircraft. As I stated above, command eject in the Hoover sends all seats occupied or not. In the War Hoover the pilot does not always have his lever in command eject irrespective of the copilot handle. In normal fleet ops both handles are in command eject, or both in select eject. The command eject feature only works for the front seats. Even in command eject the back seats can pull the loud handle and only that respective seat goes. In other words, the back seats can never command and entire crew ejection sequence. That also means that if a guy in back pulls the handle he fries his buddy because there is no coordinated ejection sequence between the back seats unless commanded by the front seat guys in crew/command eject. In a command ejection the back two seats go togather and a slit second later the two front seats go up the rails side by side. The Douglas ESACAPAC is a very reliable seat. I can't think of a failure in the S-3, or any other aircraft that comes to mind.

edit: A-4s speaks to the ESCAPACs value. BTW, the seat goes through the canopy in the Hoover. No design point failure there.