• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

S-3 Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnerdd972

This is to all current Navy aviators, what does the future hold for the S-3. I am curious about two subjects plane life (when will the S-3 be put to rest), and promotion ops. Does the S-3 play that big of a role in ASW anymore or is just mainly used as a gas passer? Do certian aviation communites have better promotion opportunites than others (is it harder to make rank as an S-3 pilot than an F-18 pilot). I am just trying to narrow my choices on which community I want to shoot for. I want S-3's mainly because they are the only jet that is based out of San Diego, and that is where I want to end up. I relize that the needs of the Navy come first, but to all you pilots out there did you get the coast you wanted?

GM2(SW) Hosehead

Jeff

Someone at Schools Command was an S-3 guy and he strongly recommended that no one try for S-3s at this point because they will transition before we are done with our commitments and by then we would be to senior to transition to the replacement 18s. He thought they would be gone within the next six to eight years.
Their primary mission is Airborne Gas Station. It is seldom if ever that they still do any ASW. So its something to think about, plus not many pilots get S-3.

Dave Shutter

Look in the questbook link on the left for a gentleman by the name of LTCDR Tim McGarvey. He left his e-mail adress there, real cool guy. He's an S-3 pilot with 12 years in the community. We chatted a lot late last year when I resumed my app. after recovering from my surgery and he gave me a lot of insight into Carrier Aviation today. We discussed those same question you asked and he mentioned a "common support aircraft" (???) being considered to take up the roles of ASW and airborne command post that the S-3 sometimes does, but basically he said that Hornets (E/F's) tanking themselves will be the death of the Hoover.

BTW, he also said that being stationed in San Diego rocks and that there's room in the Viking not only for the crew of four, but also their ski's and golf clubs in the back! Every platform has it's perks!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 07/31/2001 22:59:01

Mcaf

I talked to an S-3 pilot yesterday at NASNI, and basically reinforced what you both are saying. He said the S-3 rock because they do cross countries almost every week-end. He's heading to Canada this week-end. He told me how they just toss their luggage in the back and go for a week-end. I'm told this is the only paltform that performs multiple cross countries. Then after telling me this he said S-3's would be bad choice. According to him it's never a good idea to enter a platfrom that's phasing out. You never know where they will stash you next. The S-3 should be fully phased out by 2008 but it doesn't garuntee that every pilot will be transitoned from S-3 to F/A-18. Just some advice from the LT that I should pass on.
BTW, I flew in a T-34C last week out of NASNI. I'm aviation all the but that made me even more motivated. We performed touch and goes, loops, split S, barrel roll, and aileron rolls with myself actually on the stick most of the time. The instructor would have hands off but he talked me through each evolution. I even had stick control for one of the landings. The best part of the whole ride was the 270 degree break(brake?)onto the runway. We pulled about 4 G's which is close to the plane's tolerance. A wild ride I'll never forget. Only two more years of ROTC and I should be flying her once again. Keeping working everyone; it will be worth the effort.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Unfortunately, the Hoover is dying on the vine but its not dead yet. In the past few years the ASW role has diminished since the "glory" days of the Cold War. Even the P-3 is searching for newer roles that it can perform. The mission as "Texaco" for mother may seem to most S-3 guys the kiss of death but it may be their saving grace for exsitence. The demise of the KA-6 has left a definite need for an airborne tanker asset. At least this is one role the Hornet can't fill (Like FAG's would want the role anyhow). This may be a good bridge role until the ASW threat becomes a reality once again. Many nations are buying and training in former Soviet subs to include China, India, Pakistan and North Korea. I don't believe these nations have gone to "blue water" but who knows what will transpire in the next 5 years. By the way, the soviets still sail all variants of their fleet so they are always a threat.
Will the Hoover be the kiss of death for a career? Probably, but who knows. My advice gunner is if San Diego is where you want to be, go for it. As you get older, quality of life becomes more important then platform. This will become even more apparent if your married. Regardless of what you fly, if Mama ain't happy, you ain't happy. By the way gunner, say you got S-3's in San Dog and the platform did go away. You may transition or maybe not but you almost have to stay due to your time in service. Your twilight tour could be flying the 737-700 (being fielded now)out of North Island. That should give you great training for a follow on career. Good luck. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.