• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russian Ambassador to Turkey assassinated

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I figured RT would be the most skeptical news outlet in this case, and if RT was reporting it, then Russia at least tacitly approved of giving credibility to the allegation. If Russia didn't think the alleged Gulen link was at least plausible, RT never would have floated it.

No, not really. As a wise butler once said, some folks just want to watch world burn.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Wish I could take credit for originally finding this but that won't stop me from posting it here...

lEjmNhh_Gi9VAtpAgLxAZMK3Ikn717L_UJt11rOva4Y.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Russians would love to peel any members away from NATO, and Turkey would be an extra bonus - control of the Bosporus has been a Russian goal for about as long as there's been a Russia. Erdogan would be very receptive to any overtures that reinforced his conviction that the US wants to overthrow him and was behind the coup.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Russians would love to peel any members away from NATO, and Turkey would be an extra bonus - control of the Bosporus has been a Russian goal for about as long as there's been a Russia. Erdogan would be very receptive to any overtures that reinforced his conviction that the US wants to overthrow him and was behind the coup.

Erdogan seems to go whichever way the winds seem to blow in his favor, right now it is Russia but that could change at the drop of a hat if they do something that pisses him off.

jmcquate

Contributor
Erdogan seems to go whichever way the winds seem to blow in his favor
Including Islamists as well as the Russians. The Islamists won't go away at the drop of a hat. For that matter, niether will the Russians. Throw in the whole NATO thingy and Incirlik..........things could get sporty

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
But I basically view Putin as Machiavelli in the 21st century - who is above nothing if it helps him achieve his objectives.

Agree, with a little comment: he is going to be written in history as a restorer of USSR. This is the end, while that machiavellian approaches are just means. Personally I don't want back in USSR. But a lot of people here do. As usually - the respected leader, even a f**ker himself, is just a servant of the majority of real interests of society.
By the way - is USA gonna transfer the BGM-109s to NATO partners other than Brits? Russian defence minister said that yesterday. "Everybody whose ships have Mk41 could be armed with Tomahawks and we expect will be". Turks too? Funny to say the least. Or not only Putin in Russian politics have read Machiavelli, damn it.

Max the Mad Russian

He said that. Maybe this is the outcome of Danish decision to send a frigate in Med to fight ISIS. That frigate is equipped with Mk41 VLS and can be armed with BGM-109s, at least in theory. Politics - you can use everything to state your opinion.

Max the Mad Russian

What makes you think this?
From 2000 on:
1. Putin have always been at the top or near the top;
2. Being measured formally, the Russian territory increased, and always by the price of the former USSR;
3. Numbers of Russian citizens increased both in Russia and other CIS independent states;
4. Russian trading on the CIS markets is exseeding others several times;
5. All national separating tides inside Russia come to zero;
6. The number of Russian military installations outside its territory grows;
7. "Customs Union" agreement with some states inside CIS is already disbanded national border and customs controls on the formal borders between Russia and Belarus, Russia and Kazakhstan, and this process is going on. Now I can drive my car from Poland (which is both NATO and EU) to Chinese border with KZ, leaving my passport or any other ID home - no formal borders in between;
8. Having no national idea, Russia has yet supported some nations militarily: Serbs once upon a time, Syria now: a behaviour typical for USSR;
9. Putin is an avid friend of China - Josef Stalin, a founder of USSR, has always stated that there is only one way to control entire Eurasia: a friendship between Russia and China.

Enough I think. Right?

Max the Mad Russian

The Russians would love to peel any members away from NATO, and Turkey would be an extra bonus - control of the Bosporus has been a Russian goal for about as long as there's been a Russia..

Outdated, imho. There was the sole reason to create the Russian Black Sea Fleet at XVIII century to keep the Bosphorus open, yes, but for one plain end: wheat export to Europe. Up to 1880s it made sense, but in XX century - not. Then, after WW1, Montreux Convs (1936) have been used as a political enforcement of the Turkey who actually lost that war. No great Russian profit is connected to the Straits after that. Now moderate Syrian Tartus as a naval base means much more then again-Rissian Sevastopol in Crimea.