• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russia, Germany: Discussing a New Alliance

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Just what I always needed to keep me abreast of foreign affairs . . .

dopeslap.gif
Oh... Gee-Whiz...

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I don't care if Raptor is wrong or right. Screw Russia, Russia sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I don't care if Raptor is wrong or right. Screw Russia, Russia sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I think somone's beeeeeeeen boooooooooooooziiiiiiiiiiing...

:D

"That's right! Everyone sucks! Stupid Commies!!!! Go America! Woooooooo!"

Hasselhoff%20Drunk.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've had 2 beers at the bar and a glass of bourbon afterward, and even I still recognize PWI when I see it . . .

Not that you're wrong or anything. :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two reasons, first I was reading a bunch of German rags (and info on Germany) because today is *German Unity Day!* And second after I came across a subscription Stratfor piece on the Helsinki II pact I tried to find out if someone else was writing about it.

I would be more careful where you get some of your info. Strafor seems to be a decent place but the publication you cited is nothing more than the mouthpiece for a religious organization and has very poor journalistic standards.

What do you mean by circular reporting?

They are parroting what Stratfor said, adding their own spin and speculation to it. It is the start of circular reporting, where a bunch of publications rely on another publication who relied on another and so on. Soon enough, the original source gets lost, and you want original sourcing since it is usually the most accurate. There is nothing original in that article but baseless speculation.

Also, I don't see anything contradictory between the two articles.

Where is any sort of alliance or pact between Germany and Russia mentioned in the article I cited? As a matter of fact, the tenor of the meeting between the Russian President and German Chancellor is depicted to be much more tense and confrontational than it is suggested in the piece that you orginally cited. A renewal of some sort of German-Russian alliance, other than commercial, is unrealistic at the present time.

You cite some very good pieces on this site, and you have some decent insight into the international sphere. But often things are a little bit less complex and conspiratorial than you sometimes seem to think. And you have to be more careful with a few of your sources. The one you cited at the beginning of this thread is just not credible at all. Keep up the good work, just look closer at a few things you cite.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Joint Press Conference with Federal Chancellor of Germany Angela Merkel following Russian-German Intergovernmental Consultations

http://kremlin.ru/eng/speeches/2008/10/02/2133_type82914type82915_207250.shtml
QUESTION: Since the crisis in South Ossetia we have heard more and more talk about NATO’s eastward expansion, and you in particular have said that Georgia and Ukraine should be welcomed into the NATO membership action plan as soon as possible. In this context, did you discuss the creation of a new collective security system in Europe? President Medvedev presented this initiative during his visit to Berlin. Could this initiative receive Germany’s support?
ANGELA MERKEL: As far as this initiative is concerned, we have received the documents. We will discuss this matter again during the dinner tonight. Given the very busy agenda we simply did not have time to talk about this yet, but tonight we will have the opportunity to discuss it at dinner. I am interested to know of course how this initiative would work in practice and how it would fit into the structures that already exist today.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here are a couple other articles that looks at some of Medvedev's commits that allude to *something* of the sort, although it alludes to something more encompassing.

Doesn't it take two to tango? Sounds like the Medvedev is doing the diplomatic equivalent of playing with himself.

QUESTION: In this context, did you discuss the creation of a new collective security system in Europe? President Medvedev presented this initiative during his visit to Berlin. Could this initiative receive Germany’s support?
ANGELA MERKEL: As far as this initiative is concerned, we have received the documents. We will discuss this matter again during the dinner tonight........I am interested to know of course how this initiative would work in practice and how it would fit into the structures that already exist today.

She is going to look at the documents?! Now that is a commitment!

The last bolded part is a polite way of her saying that it needs to fit in with NATO and the EU. The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact it is not.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Doesn't it take two to tango? Sounds like the Medvedev is doing the diplomatic equivalent of playing with himself.

She is going to look at the documents?! Now that is a commitment!

The last bolded part is a polite way of her saying that it needs to fit in with NATO and the EU. The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact it is not.
Hey we are making progress, we went from this agreement being non-existent to a discussion of the details of a plan we haven't seen...