• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

running and contracting advice

A.Kuettel

I just got notified out of the blue that my OSO wants me to re-contract, (went to OCS last summer and NPQ'd for stress fractures), at the end of the month and I have barely started pt'ing again. Anybody ever had any sucess on using a sprinting regimen to knock run time down quickly? Or does anyone have any general advice on how to knock a few minutes off my run time with out doing damage to my legs? Also if my intial pft is not stellar, like around a 215-240, but my pfts before OCS were around 260-280, will the board consider this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Dont kill yourself...you can always update your PFT score if need be. If you get hurt again though, you're screwed for a lot longer.

thull

My strongest advice for you is to take plenty of precautionary measures to ensure you don't get injured and derail the whole thing in the process. Whatever you do, you'll need to do it intensely. Get new shoes with good cushioning, easy long period stretching before and after your runs, with long easy warmups and cool downs. The intensity training should be well couched in good warmups and cool downs, or you will get injured.

as far as the training itself, I would recommend in addition to running, cross training to build up your aerobic capacity without breaking yourself, including swimming and some biking. speed work on the track and weights 3X per week.

Basically because you don't have the luxury of developing your potential purely as a runner in the short time period, you will have to work on strengthening your body in other ways as well to give you the added edge on your PFT day. Weights should be low intensity and high repitition to augment your running, instead of heavy weights to bulk up.

Bottom line IMO, spend a lot of time working out between now and then, but focus on your whole body in addition to intense running.

USMC_NA

the best advice for this i ever heard was to just start putting on the miles. The sprint mentality makes you think you can shortcut running. Running to me, has to be an everyday thing, and I still suck at it. But the more you go the easier it will get. The trick is to start off with what you feel comfortable doing and push yourself a LITTLE. Just amp it up a little bit each time and you'll be there before you know it. But the main thing is doing it on a regular basis. For me, it takes a lot of discipline to get out there and do it, even when I don't want to, but I always feel better after I do. Good luck man.

MasterHaynes86

Hey man, I know our OSO really well and he will do everything in his power to get you to OCS if you show you want to be there. If you can, do a PFT ASAP and get the score to him fast. Tell him you are busting your @$$ and show improvement between now and later. Since you've already been to OCS, you have a leg up on the contracting part. If you can't get ahold of him, pm me and I'll give you his business cell phone (i think it is his cell).

He is all about seeing his contractees become Marines.

Also dont try to improve running too quickly because your muscles and bones will say "go fvck yourself" and break again. Consistent running is key. Also, work on taking DEEPER breaths when you are just walking around to help increase lung capacity. An enlisted Marine told me this and it works a little.

Nail all your pullups and crunches and get below a 24 minute run time, but do show improvement on your run. PLC 1st incremement doesn't leave til May 27 (?) so there is time. I'm not sure when PLC-C leaves or OCC, but you have ample time to get ready.

I'm gonna go see the captain today, pm me if you need anything.

NapalmRat

Running on softer surfaces also helps, i.e. dirt is softer than sidewalk/roads. REALLY stretch our ur calf muscle and shin-area muscles(gastrocnemius? I wasn't a kinesiology major). When I get shin splints, or know i'm going to get them I'll stretch in the morning, before pt, after pt, and before i go to sleep. I usually stretch by putting the bottom of my foot against a wall and leaning into it. It looks like i'm getting intimate with the wall, but it helps me. Not saying this is guaranteed to help you, just saying what may work.
If you got NPQ'ed and can get a 225+ on the PFT the board should be okay. The higher the better, but it's also important that you're fully healed if it comes down to doing another physical because of stress fractures.
One other thing that may help with stress fracture: drinking chocolate milk. Don't ask why, cuz i dont know, but hell, it can't do any damage anyway.

Slammer2

Contributor
One other thing that may help with stress fracture: drinking chocolate milk. Don't ask why, cuz i dont know, but hell, it can't do any damage anyway.

Ya know, I binged on milk and ate calcium pills during libo as though it would regrow the bone for the next week...

MasterHaynes86

I highly suggest gettin
A. an Ipod if you dont have one or an MP3 Equiv
B. A cadence CD

When you feel any pain, sound off to the cadence and keep pace. I just ran a phenominal 3 mile because I had some serious motivation in my ears and was able to maintain a killer pace even when it hurt like no other.

I wont tell you what I ran, but tonite i ran over 2 minutes faster than my last official PFT by just keeping pace with the cadences. I dang near threw up

OORAH

how is the contracting coming along?

Slammer2

Contributor
I highly suggest gettin
A. an Ipod if you dont have one or an MP3 Equiv
B. A cadence CD...

Great for training. After OCS you'll wish you never did as it would be just a few more minutes of life without hearing that shit. Dont run with them though. Learn them and run with them in your head. You will get too used to running with music and will underperform when you dont have it anymore