• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rules of Gunfighting

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got this from a Captain here at SWOS. Figured you gun nuts might like it.

Rules of Gunfighting
1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring their friends who have guns.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.

3. Only hits count. Close doesn't count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. Lateral and diagonal movements are preferred.

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived and who didn't.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting is more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. In combat, there are no rules. Always cheat. Always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first plan won't work.

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible. The visible target should be in front of YOUR gun.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don't drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.

19. Decide to be AGGRESSIVE enough QUICKLY enough.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

21. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterreence, and de-escalation.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From a law enforcement perspective, where you must deal with the public, most of whom are law abiding and innocent, number 19 is the hardest.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I think those are the USMC rules... ours are a little different, no?

(as seen in other emails...)
U.S. Navy Rules to Gunfighting
1. Adopt an aggressive offshore posture.
2. Send the Marines.
3. Drink Coffee.

Also there were a few more on the version I saw...

22. Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
23. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
24. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a "4."

Lawman

None
From a law enforcement perspective, where you must deal with the public, most of whom are law abiding and innocent, number 19 is the hardest.

And at the same time from my own personal experiance in Law Enforcement number 21 is deffinately the most important. Your right about number 19 though, its almost flawed because If Id have gone soley on instinct in that method Id have shot a kid.... thats why we do decision shooting excersices in training.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Welcome to our newest "gun-nut" Club member. Good stuff, Steve. It shows SWO's (hey! that rhymes ??? ) CAN rise to the occasion. Occasionally .....

25. The fastest reload is a gun in your hand. (i.e., ALWAYS bring two --- have a backup)

Lawman

None
26. Dont count on anything going your way. The day you end up in a gun fight is already the unluckiest day of your life.

27. Proper training and instinctual muscle memory are the keys to survival. Dont count on your brain getting you out of a gunfight, its because of its fault that your in one to begin with.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
28. If they're far enough away that you have to aim, you should be moving, not shooting.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's up with 27? All of a sudden if you're the defender it's your fault? Maybe I'm misreading that, but it assumes a lot about our control over our own world. Philosophizer out.

Lawman

None
What's up with 27? All of a sudden if you're the defender it's your fault? Maybe I'm misreading that, but it assumes a lot about our control over our own world. Philosophizer out.

Its from a Police/LEO standpoint. Typically you dont end up in a gunfight because you just walked into it, there is a long chain of missed clues and bad mistakes that were probably made resulting in the situation. Not saying that you cant just all of a sudden find yourself in one with no warning, but thats the exception.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its from a Police/LEO standpoint. Typically you dont end up in a gunfight because you just walked into it, there is a long chain of missed clues and bad mistakes that were probably made resulting in the situation. Not saying that you cant just all of a sudden find yourself in one with no warning, but thats the exception.

For sure. Goes with the old saying that "your best weapon is your brain."

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never bring a knife to a gun fight. Use a rifle if it's available. Pistols are "weak".

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor

The 'exception' is what happened to my wife a few months ago....daylight, exiting a public building not in a bad part of town and she got mugged; split lip bruised arm. He outweighed her by about 100lbs and was a foot taller. She put herself between her attacker and our kid then pulled her gun. He left...

Lawman

None
The 'exception' is what happened to my wife a few months ago....daylight, exiting a public building not in a bad part of town and she got mugged; split lip bruised arm. He outweighed her by about 100lbs and was a foot taller. She put herself between her attacker and our kid then pulled her gun. He left...

One sounds like she did the right thing. Glad to hear it turned out to a good outcome. Good to see that your wife is more convinceble about how important it is to be armed then my girlfriend, I have to yell at her to get her to keep her OC with her.

But I must repeat 27 was a take on what we were told in training. Its ment in that context of Law Enforcement Officer (most likely in uniform).