• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ROTC Arrival PFT

Srtitan89

I know that I should be shooting for high outstanding, and I am. But due to my possible surgery (Look in NROTC section), I might not be able to attain my goals by the time I go to NROTC in August. What kind of shape do they expect me to be in? Right now, I'm at about a high good, with a little above on the pushups and below on the situps.

I know that this is passing, but what would be considered "good" shape for arriving at ROTC in the fall.

Also, on another note. How many calories should I be over my sustained weight amount in order to build serious muscle? I'm 6'1 165 and doing about 250 pushups and 4 sets of 8-12 bicep curls every other night for my strength training. (I'd be doing pull-ups but I don't have anywhere to do them here) I don't want to end up being 185 by the time I report in August.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Shoot for a good medium in all categories and give a little extra on the sit and reach... :icon_tong

navy09

None
Minimum for NROTC is good low. If you're running good lows, you're behind the curve. I'd assume the culture differs a little from unit to unit, CO to CO.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Also, on another note. How many calories should I be over my sustained weight amount in order to build serious muscle? I'm 6'1 165 and doing about 250 pushups and 4 sets of 8-12 bicep curls every other night for my strength training. (I'd be doing pull-ups but I don't have anywhere to do them here) I don't want to end up being 185 by the time I report in August.

www.bodybuilding.com is a pretty good site with great information on that type of stuff. If you want to build muscle, typically consume about 500 cal/day more than you burn. I'm not sure that just pushups and bicep curls would be considered adequate however. If you're serious about building muscle, try to scrounge up $30/month for a gym membership. I think it would be awfully hard to build serious mass with bodyweight exercises, plus you'll be out of proportion doing only chest and biceps.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I think it would be awfully hard to build serious mass with bodyweight exercises, plus you'll be out of proportion doing only chest and biceps.

Agreed...if you are trying to up your PFT score, practice what you do on the PFT, like what you are doing now. But if you want to increase muscle mass, other exercised might be in order.

One thing I like to do, without going to weights, is a set of dips (10 or so) and then as many pushups as you can right afterwards. Do that set 3 times during your workout, maybe once every 4-5 days. It helps build your arms and chest muscles more than just straight pushups.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
In all seriousness, if you run a sub 11:00 mile, do 50+ pushups and 60+ situps you'll be in the middle of the pack and be fine. Just don't be last or be that guy who fails everything and you'll be fine.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Definitely don't just shoot for the minimums, but I doubt the ROTC unit is going to be disappointed if you aren't a PT stud when you come for the first day. I think when I showed up a good majority of my class could barely pass the PFA at our indoc and I was definitely one of them. Not really an excuse, but the unit will help you improve no matter what.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I wanted the Most Improved award when I was in Kindergarten, but I didn't know what it meant. I told my mom and she was like..."That's not the best kind of award to have."