• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Room to rent just off back gate NAS Pensacola

Wingnut

Kill your television
I just moved in, I'm a SNA in A-pool for API, and I picked up a two bedroom apartment and am looking for someone to split it with. The place is about two minutes from the back gate, and about ten to fifteen minutes from the API parking lot. Austin Wood is the name of the complex. It's a nice apartment, plenty of space, and it's a roommate floorplan, so each bedroom has its own private bath. Right now there aren't any furnishings to speak of. I'm working on that, but it's wide open at this point.
Rent is $870 per month; I'm guessing it'll probably come to around $1000 total with utilities, so figure around $500 per month, give or take.
Post or PM with any questions; I'm Navy (if you didn't already guess), but not particular about which branch.

pal215

None
Be careful

I just moved out of austin woods and they told me I trashed the place and kept my deposit. Go through it with a camera and take pictures of everything and show a date so you have a before picture. I should have done that but I didn't and now its a he said, he said thing so now I have to bring legal into it.

Wingnut

Kill your television
What kind of things did they ding you on? Was it nitpicky things, or were there legitmate issues when you moved in? It's standard practice to report anything you see that could be an issue when you move in, and taking pictures is indeed a good idea. The last apartment I was in - and I wish they did it here too - had an inspection sheet so you could go through and check against that, and you wouldn't get hit for things that were normal wear or approaching replacement because they had a record. Not to defend them (I don't know the management that well although I haven't heard much negative about them, and I did ask around) but if it wasn't right and you don't report it, it's on you. Now, if they leave things iffy on purpose before people move in as a practice, then they're being dishonest, but it's still on the renter to address those things. In my case, things look pretty good, and I doubt there's much they could hit me on (plus, it's a $200 deposit; I'd be a little more worried if it were the place across the street where it's $500, but $200 is almost not worth going to court over depending on the circumstances). Depending on the amount of money involved and the nature of the offense, I think filing a complaint with the BBB along with word of mouth often does more good anyway.

pal215

None
When I moved out I made sure to clean the place well. I got out and returned the keys on the assigned day like we agreed on. A few weeks later when I hadn't gotten my security deposit back from them, I gave them a call and the manager told me that her matinence crew had said that I had destroyed that apartment. They said that the walls needed to be plastered and repaired and that the carpets had to be completely removed because they were in such bad shape. I called bull**** and asked for proof but she said that the crews had already done the repairs and even though she never saw it or had pictures, she sided with them. I know 200 dollars isn't alot of money but I can use that money for better things and its now more that they have ticked me off and I'm going after them to get my money back or at teh very least annoy them.

Wingnut

Kill your television
Update:

Room is still available, and now I have cable and high-speed internet (digital cable in the living room, I think the room has standard cable if you hook up a TV; for internet I'm using the supplied cable modem but plan on getting a wireless router before too long). Still not a lot of furniture, you'll have to make your own arrangements for a bed, but I am looking for a couch and other items. Rent, once again, is $870. Add to that about $75 for power (based on last month's bill; shouldn't get any higher until summer comes around again), and $90 for cable/internet, and the total comes to about $1035 or $517.50 split. Shouldn't be any expenses beyond that: I've already covered the security deposit and moving-in fees, so I'll take the hit if they decide to play games come checkout (not that I'm expecting it; I'm not hearing much in the way of complaints about management, and I have none so far). Let me know if you're interested. As an aside, do think about how far you are from base and traffic when choosing a place. Greater Pensacola can be a pain to navigate; here you cross traffic once, go through one light, and you're at the gate, after which it's a straight shot to the parking areas for API, and then you're on your own (anyone currently at API will know what I mean).

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
$870/month?! good god. i actually want to pocket some extra cash. that place better have gold-plated toilets!